FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Kenne Bell 2.8 on 402/AFR 225/Long Tube- H2

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 12:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CHarris
How's it going? Good to see another cool H2 owner over here. There aren't many that know anything about this stuff. The Elcova forum was a joke, really. Just a silly boys club without much engine knowledge. Mostly check writers. I did see a couple of sharp guys around there though.

If you go with a KB you will have to fabricate some things. Its not a direct fit install. Yopu could definitely run it on a mostly stock long block. Might be better to get the 2.6 though. Would hate to break it on the lowest boost pulley combo with a 2.8.

You'll definitely want to get a hold of FLT to do a full tranny build on it. The KB is definitely capable of taking it out quickly!

Let me know if you need any help when you are ready. I'd be happy to share experience, solutions.
thanks! Yeah, the elova forum is not for engine performance. Those guys over there are mostly concerned about not doing anything else with a hummer unless it involves offroading. I get it, its a H2, and it would whoop on a stock Rubicion fairly just about anywhere you can fit it in. But, like Ricky Bobby said, "I wanta go fast!!"

Thanks for the advice. Im actually considering doing a 4l80e swap from the get go, and dish the 60e. As for the blower, i understand the physics that the 2.6 is enough, but the I know the 2.8 is available and that eventually i'll go bigger cubes, im addicted to displacement!!! So, besides the notches here and there and the custom intake setup, what else do you deem important to mention if i want to go with a KB 2.8?

How does the truck feel and tow with the converter? Also, i know its redundant to ask on a performance forum but, ...... how is your mileage right now? I usually get around 11.9-12.5mpg in the city, completely stock rig.

Anyways, dude, keep it up!! I wanta see that flying brick in the 13's without juice!! Than you can set your eyes on the 12's!!
Old 06-28-2007, 08:37 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by obZidian
thanks! Yeah, the elova forum is not for engine performance. Those guys over there are mostly concerned about not doing anything else with a hummer unless it involves offroading. I get it, its a H2, and it would whoop on a stock Rubicion fairly just about anywhere you can fit it in. But, like Ricky Bobby said, "I wanta go fast!!"

Thanks for the advice. Im actually considering doing a 4l80e swap from the get go, and dish the 60e. As for the blower, i understand the physics that the 2.6 is enough, but the I know the 2.8 is available and that eventually i'll go bigger cubes, im addicted to displacement!!! So, besides the notches here and there and the custom intake setup, what else do you deem important to mention if i want to go with a KB 2.8?

How does the truck feel and tow with the converter? Also, i know its redundant to ask on a performance forum but, ...... how is your mileage right now? I usually get around 11.9-12.5mpg in the city, completely stock rig.

Anyways, dude, keep it up!! I wanta see that flying brick in the 13's without juice!! Than you can set your eyes on the 12's!!
I understand the choice on the larger blower. Its like that other post about the Maggie 122 on the 400+ ci motor... it's just not big enough to make big boost on large motor. If you get a KB 2.8 you may actually want to run an underdrive pulley on your crank to spin it slower at first to keep your stock shortblock together. Then later you can build a 400+ and still use the same blower

My mileage is about 7.5 now... regardless of boost usage... lol. Lots of hills here. Its gotten progessively worse as I increase drag/ boost.

The trans is doing okay with the Yank 3000... but its definitely not as happy as it once was. The fluid is running hotter and I'm looking for more cooling. If the built 4L65 dies I'll go to a 4L80 and see about turning up some more boost.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:08 AM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CHarris
I understand the choice on the larger blower. Its like that other post about the Maggie 122 on the 400+ ci motor...
Please be so kind to post up a link to this thread.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brian@JPA
Please be so kind to post up a link to this thread.
This one?
Old 06-30-2007, 09:51 AM
TECH Addict

Not the sales propaganda example from Duttweilers shop. Of course Duttweiler made good power. But it wasn't something that the normal consumer can duplicate or drive in a truck or street car without race gas. The fact this came out in early 2006 and has not been backed up or duplicated with an install in a truck is further proof that its a race only configuration.

I was referencing this one just recently posted by "TurboTony"....

"Well after a busy few months we finally got back to the truck and finished up most of the loose ends sent it off to the chassis dyno for some tuning and numbers.

It's set up to be daily driven, pump 91 fuel, low timing and 6 psi.

The final rear wheel numbers were 515 hp and 500 ft/lbs. This was on a mustang dyno again with a nice and really safe tune. There is a bit of power left on the table, need a smaller pulley and maybe meth injection but for now this is where it will stay.

We found that 122 really like rpm unfortunately the smallest pulley magnuson makes is the 2.8 and with the stroker under it 6 psi was the max it makes. Hmmm, time for a custom pulley.

The truck is insane amounts of fun to drive, 2wd is just a big tire smoke show, at and speed. It really hauls azz in 4wd and just seems to have legs that go on far past the legal speed limit.

There will be some vids from the dyno in the very near future and I'll be taking it to the local street legals in the next few weeks to see what it will do there.

Anyone know what a ccssb weighs? Have to run it over a scale this week and see.

Tony"

Here's the link for those that missed it....

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...5&page=2&pp=10

So... again... even with a IW overdrive crank pulley to spin the 122 faster it's still only about 10% faster on the crank speed. Theres not much else you can do aside from a bigger MAF, Larger TB, and Meth injection. All of which will continue to help the Kenne Bell outpace the Magnuson. This still won't be as much airflow as the Kenne Bell. Which was the point I was trying to make without a direct call out.

But here it is as you like it... The current offerings from Magnuson can't make as much airflow as the Kenne Bell. Until Magnuson brings the TVS out, there won't be a contest. Until that time, big power strokers will have to look elsewhere for blower combos.... That means big prochargers or Kenne Bells. A twin Rotrex could also perhaps do very well.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:56 AM
blownerator

As you stated, you can have your KB crown for now. Time will tell who the "TOP DOG" will be in the blower world. There is a reason EATON is a multi BILLION dollar company, they do the research and do it right.

Cory,I am not trying to take anything away from what you have built. You have put together a combo that is working well for you, and may work well for others. Congrats on your build and keep up the good work.

In Duttweiler's defense, he has made more HP per cubic inch than anyone on earth, and you cannot challenge that statement. The info from Kennys shop was posted up to give people something to chew on for the days ahead, I am just sorry you see it as "propaganda".

I have spoken with a few people with 427's and the MP122 on them and they are making well over 650 at the wheels. The beautiful part to me is that they do not feel the need to go online and swing their sack around, they simply drive the crap out of their trucks and cars and enjoy THEIR combo that has worked well for them.

Again, congratulations on your build and success with your H2, now get it to the track and show some track times to back up the build

Last edited by BlownChevy; 06-30-2007 at 02:00 PM.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:02 AM
Admin

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts

This should get interesting....
Old 06-30-2007, 11:05 AM
blownerator

Originally Posted by 03sierraslt
This should get interesting....
To me it is interesting. Cory has put a nice set up together and it should make some impressive numbers once it gets to the track.

In reviewing the thread in question that the link was posted to, I found an interesting comment by Turbo Tony:

Originally Posted by TurboTony
I have considered a larger crank pulley, problem is that the stock pulley has been keyed to the crankshaft. Would be a matter of having another pulley machined to match.

Not a big deal and to be honest the truck is kind of silly right now even at 6 psi. Just going to leave it for awhile and see how it works. No signs of belt slip so far anyway.

Tony
Again, someone that has put a combo together that THEY are happy with, what more can a guy ask for?
Old 06-30-2007, 01:48 PM
TECH Addict

Magnacharger sales pitches are boring. My post does not detract from Duttweiler. I specifically stated it is not a street combo due to the race gas. He would build an outstanding combo for street but it would be different.

The fact that other guy is happy is excellent, but of no concern in this thread. The Radix is still a great product for 95% of the people. But it continues to be hyped as the end all series of blowers... but it never really puts up the big numbers. I'm talking 850+ horsepower at the engine. I'm not concerned with anyones level of happiness with a result. It is a fact that the currently marketed blowers from Magnacharger are not up to achieving the high airflow levels of the Kenne Bell on 400+ ci combo's. That is where the Kenne Bell shines. That is point I was trying to make without grandstanding. As I'm not a salesman for Kenne Bell, I've no desire to push it into every Maggie thread posted. I still respect the Magnacharger product in general and for most applications with 6.0L displacement and less than 10 psi expectations. For 5.7's and under it can be outstanding. For 400+ ci applications it's just outgunned at the same price level.

I'm giving the Kenne Bell the same treatment I gave the Magnacharger. Full disclosure of what comes with it as I've experienced it. My old Magnacharger posts are still out there and I stand by the technical info in them. I wasn't paid by Magnacharger nor ever given anything by them for the info I shared. Neither am I paid or in anyway compensated by Kenne Bell.

This thread is about the Kenne Bell as installed on a H2. It is here because I have first hand knowledge of a product that many people have questions about. Some people have an interest in seeing what it can do and just to get a general feel for what you get with one. Some may like to see a guy go crazy battling the gremlins which can and do arise in a big power build. Theres really no place for Maggie sales pitchs.

A discussion on the merits of a Magnacharger with 400+ engines is best discussed in a new thread. Sales pitches would go well in that same thread.

Back to the topic... this is a Kenne Bell thread.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kenny Dutweiler is an outstanding builder with a reputation to match. I'm not sure what more MP per cubic inch, but if it's supposed to be HP, i'm not sure of that. I've seen a dyno run from a 1.3L engine that was over 1000hp. Kenny no doubt is know's what he's doing though. In fact he did what most builders would have done if you'd given them that blower. He decided to see just how much hp he could muster from it. 6.6-6.7L is about all the bigger you'd want to stick a 122 on. If you take that into consideration and build an engine based upon the 112/122's peak effieciency boost range of around 8-10psi and base your fuel around race fuel, you get those kind of results. Hell, on pump gas there are 6.0L's around using the stock long block making around 600hp at the crank. Add good heads, big cam, .6L more engine, bigger compressor, and race fuel, 700+hp is what you should expect.

The point here really isn't knocking the Magnachargers, it's making the point that although the 122 is the latest upgrade, it still needs to be bigger. There is no reason to argue this point, Eaton already knows this and that is why they are building a bigger unit. To compare the power making capability of a 2.0L blower to a 2.8L unit is just silly.

Quick Reply: Kenne Bell 2.8 on 402/AFR 225/Long Tube- H2