FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Killer Chiller Installed

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 08:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice!!

I ran my heat exchanger hoses to my heater core and i can get my IATs about 20* below ambient
Old 09-21-2009, 09:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TX Tahoe Z71
Thanks for the pics. How long did the install take you?

PS. Your engine bay looks brand spanking new
Thanks, it is my DD but I take very good care of it, it has 52,000 mile on it and the Blower kit.

I think it can be done in 3 or 4 hours but I was the R&D truck and it took 6 weeks because of the A/C line fitting at the condesor, Joe at Kinciad Performance (home of the Killer Chiller) had to order the factor line (it was back ordered)and modify it. This is a plug and play kit ecept for the mounting of the Chiller unit.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by nonnieselman
Nice!!

I ran my heat exchanger hoses to my heater core and i can get my IATs about 20* below ambient
If Joe at Kincaid Performance is correct I should see a 50deg drop when I get it optimized, write now I only see about 25 - 30 deg drop.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LBSBLOWN
I think it can be done in 3 or 4 hours but I was the R&D truck and it took 6 weeks because of the A/C line fitting at the condesor, Joe at Kinciad Performance (home of the Killer Chiller) had to order the factor line (it was back ordered)and modify it. This is a plug and play kit ecept for the mounting of the Chiller unit.
So if I start now, I'll be done sometime in November?

Just messing

So is there going to be a pre-fabbed kit for our trucks coming out sometime in the near future? How much do you think it'll cost?
Old 09-22-2009, 11:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by nonnieselman
Nice!!

+1 I've been running this setup for awhile and it kicks ***. At the end of a run with meth my IAT's were still below ambient. I didn't see the need to tap into the AC system and carry all the extra weight and cost of a killer chiller. The only downside is you lose your heater, but in the winter (about 2 months here) I just switch to a front mounted heat exchanger. IAT's are still low, and I can have heat in the cab. I might install some tee's and ball valves or something.

Name:  Intercoolersetup.jpg
Views: 604
Size:  26.6 KB
Old 09-22-2009, 12:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TX Tahoe Z71
So if I start now, I'll be done sometime in November?

Just messing

So is there going to be a pre-fabbed kit for our trucks coming out sometime in the near future? How much do you think it'll cost?

Not sure, Joe at Kincaid Performance said that most of the kit is in place for the setup like my truck (Radix) the only glitch is the A/C lines at the orifice tube and the Condenser apparently GM uses something a little different, he is looking for a source for the fittings which would save a lot of time and money over ordering the factory line and modifying it.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Just some more observations.
Well I have optimized the refrigerant servicing to give me a consistent 49 - 50deg intercooler coolant temp on 60 to 94 deg days, BTW this is the stock Magnason MP112 Radix intercooler, tank, and pump setup.

I also fully believe that the Radix IAT sensor location causes an in-accurate reporting to the ECM, because even with the intercooler coolant temp of 49 deg in a no boost situation the IAT sensor is still reporting a temp equal to or just bellow the outside air temp so the IAT sensor is only seeing a 25 to 30 deg drop in the Intake Air Temp even though I have dropped the intercooler temp by more than 50 deg on a hot 95 to 100 deg day.

something else I have noticed is that the tune needs a little change, here's why, my MAF and VE LTFT would always show around -1 to -2 and still does with the A/C KC off but when its on the LTFT average out at +2 to +3 so this is confirming that the much cooler (denser) air is in fact there and it needs some more fueling, so I made a change of 1.5% more fuel in the MAF table and this seems to be close, need to do a few more days of data logging.

The best part of this Killer Chiller system is there is no more heat soak and the truck drives like its a winter day all the time, I just love the drivability of this thing for a DD with this system and as far as I can tell there is little if any change in the Cabin Air-conditioning vent temps it still puts out 53 deg air.

All together I think this Killer Chiller mod is well worth it.
Now I just need to tweak the tune and get some Dyno #'s.

To bad there isn't an IAT mod to relocate the Radix sensor to a better place to get more actual temps, I heard that the TVS has a better location for there IAT sensor.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:22 AM
Launching!

Received 81 Likes on 65 Posts

So there is now an available kit for GM vehicles? Or at least he has something setup for our A/C systems? I've been interested in this for quite some time and just glad more and more people are giving it a try. Looks to be very promising in an A2W setup.

Last edited by ALL ULL C; 09-30-2009 at 10:15 AM.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

There is no reason you can't relocate it. Here is where it is in the tvs.

Name:  DSCF0020.jpg
Views: 651
Size:  72.7 KB
Name:  DSCF0021.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  41.8 KB

BTW, the TVS intercooler is about 30% larger then the MP112 core.
Name:  MP112intercooler2.jpg
Views: 699
Size:  47.2 KB
Old 09-30-2009, 11:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I spoke with these guys about 2yrs ago. At that time they hadn't installed it on any Chevs and only Ford trucks (Lightening)...I think it was Moregrip who put me in touch. They seemed like great guys and were willing to work with me to build the kit to fit at a good price to get all the Chev guys on board.
Glad someone else found the time! Keep us posted. R/

Quick Reply: Killer Chiller Installed