FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Knock with Magnacharger stock tune

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 11:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knock with Magnacharger stock tune

Gonna send my Superchips tuner back to Magnacharger for a check and reflash but initially they said my tune was fine until I called up again a few days ago. Would like to know what you guys think.

Most of the time, soon as I hit the boost I am getting alot of
Soon as I go into boost I get some knock and the timing goes down to 16
degrees. The timing doesn't decrease any further and the knock just increases, until I lay off the gas.

What is timing supposed to be at during regular driving? I am seeing
anywhere from 27 degrees to 39 degrees and it drops imediately when I give
it more gas and then steadily increases. Continuing to give more gas and
build boost results in the condition above. I will also notice some knock
sometimes just cruising along with no abrupt change in the gas pedal.
Knock is typically in the 2-3 degrees range. But I have seen it in the 6-7 degree range. Strange

Blower has been on the truck since late December.
Put about 2000 miles on it already. Has always felt sluggish.
When I floor it it seems to die out on acceleration shortly after - like
it hits 3500-5000 RPMS and the tach needle goes up real slow. Before I got the scan guage I thought this was where it is triggering the knock but now I know it is happening much sooner.

A little about the truck.

Gears are 3.73 in the rear
Tires are 295/70/R17 - just put on 2 weeks ago

My only other mods are a K&N conical filter and 3" dual exhaust with X pipe.

New NGK TR55 plugs - stock heat range
New GM Delco Fuel Filter
Clean MAF with screen
Typical IATs go from 70-85 F. Maximum IATs I saw on logging was 111F
Fuel pressure is 55PSI normally & raises to 60-65 under throttle boost

Boost pressure is
+1psi boost with some throttle
+3/4 psi boost with more throttle
+6/7 psi boost with full throttle

Max I ever saw was +7psi

Last edited by BLASTER; 08-05-2006 at 10:58 AM.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just to confirm...you are seeing WOT timing at 16* minimum?

Did you try a heat range colder on the plugs NGK tr-6's?
Old 03-22-2006, 09:22 AM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just to clear a few things up:

1) Audiable Knock?
2) Have you checked Fuel Pressure
3) Just double checking that you are using 91 octane or greater.

The timing will ALWAYS go from (example) 39* down to 18-16* uppon accel, if it did not the pistons would blow right out of the block. 16* @ WOT is exactly where you should be with timing. I do not think you are experiencing Knock Retard, this is just simply the timing MAPs doing their job.

1-3* of Knock Retard is almost normal on GM vehicles.....It is worse than that stock.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Did you try a heat range colder on the plugs NGK tr-6's?
Nope, Magnacharger recommends stock heat range and gap.

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
Just to clear a few things up:

1) Audiable Knock?
2) Have you checked Fuel Pressure
3) Just double checking that you are using 91 octane or greater.

The timing will ALWAYS go from (example) 39* down to 18-16* uppon accel, if it did not the pistons would blow right out of the block. 16* @ WOT is exactly where you should be with timing. I do not think you are experiencing Knock Retard, this is just simply the timing MAPs doing their job.

1-3* of Knock Retard is almost normal on GM vehicles.....It is worse than that stock.
1. I can't hear the knock in the low RPMs but see it register on my guage. I do feel the truck stumble in the high RPMs when hte knock is greater. The truck ALWAYS exibited these symptoms and before I got my scan guage I only suspected knock but now I verified.

2. Fuel pressure is good. I have an Autometer guage in the cabin. More info above.

3. Always 93 octane.

OK, so 16 degrees is the normal under WOT but I am still displaying knock. So I supposed my timing should be lower than.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you really want to get to the bottom of it, Id buy HP tuners and Id be willing to bet the solution lies in fueling.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:59 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BLASTER
Regardless, colder plugs at a .035 gap (vs .060 stock) may be all you need to quell the knock. It worked for me with the Whipple, although I went two heat ranges cooler with my plugs. I find it hard to believe that Magnacharger doesn't at least recommend the smaller gap - that seems to be one of those unwritten rules that everyone follows when FI is in the mix.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CoonToot
Regardless, colder plugs at a .035 gap (vs .060 stock) may be all you need to quell the knock. It worked for me with the Whipple, although I went two heat ranges cooler with my plugs. I find it hard to believe that Magnacharger doesn't at least recommend the smaller gap - that seems to be one of those unwritten rules that everyone follows when FI is in the mix.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:25 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BLASTER

1. I can't hear the knock in the low RPMs but see it register on my guage. I do feel the truck stumble in the high RPMs when hte knock is greater. The truck ALWAYS exibited these symptoms and before I got my scan guage I only suspected knock but now I verified.

2. Fuel pressure is good. I have an Autometer guage in the cabin. More info above.

3. Always 93 octane.

OK, so 16 degrees is the normal under WOT but I am still displaying knock. So I supposed my timing should be lower than.
When you say your fuel pressure is good, what is it?

Again, how do you know its knock? Are you reading a histogram that is showing knock retard? If it is stumbleing it can be a few different issues. I would like to know what your Fuel Pressure is key on engine off.

As for the Plugs, I am running the stock plugs, stock gap.......8 PSI for 38K now.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
When you say your fuel pressure is good, what is it?

Again, how do you know its knock? Are you reading a histogram that is showing knock retard? If it is stumbleing it can be a few different issues. I would like to know what your Fuel Pressure is key on engine off.

As for the Plugs, I am running the stock plugs, stock gap.......8 PSI for 38K now.
As I stated above in the first post....

Fuel pressure is 55PSI normally & raises to 60-65 under throttle boost

Is that not good?

As for the knock....

I am reading the knock retard from my interceptor scan guage.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:34 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So this is a 2000 truck with the 6.0L? Does this mean it's a 2500 or a swapped 6.0L in a 1500? 2000 means FPR. I only ask because it will spell out what kinda of work up to the radix install you have done. Knock may be normal, but not in the high rpms and high load.

Your fuel pressure is perfect.Hmmm. Without a proper scan software it's real hard to see what it could be and what else is happening when you experience the knock. Fuel pressure maybe good but are you lean anyway for some mechanical reason?

Magna will never admit the colder plugs with smaller gap is recommended...think about it, it's all about the CARB. They have sold a product that AMAZINGLY is CARB legal and with that said will not advise any ideas to stray from that structure...that's just my opinion, which isn't worth much. Make sure everything is working right before you chase other "non-magna" recommended ideas. What's your IAT at the knock. TPS? RPM? MAP? Injector duty cycle? Interceptor will only help you so much.

Quick Reply: Knock with Magnacharger stock tune