FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Livernois or Trick Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 02:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I was looking at turbo setups, I emailed Livernois with some questions because I thought their setup was the most complete and best deal for the money. However, their refusal to respond in any way/shape/form to my request made sure I did not go with their product.

I run a website as an engine builder (rotaries) myself, and I do get far behind on emails and call backs at times, so I know how it is. But unless the questions are ignorant, I pretty much always respond. It might take me a week or 2, but I respond.

The same cannot be said of Livernois apparently.

The STS rep did respond to me within 24 hours, though he did not answer my questions at all, just told me to call in with them instead.

At the time i wasnt aware of the trick setup's existence.

I have since chosen to build my own twin front mount setup, which will take much more time and planning, but should come out to be less expensive in the long run. IN other words, instead of spending 4 grand on just the hot parts, I can spend 4 grand and do everything, including supporting mods, tune, fuel, etc.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 88ls1blazer
here is a pic i took of the new log manifold while i was @ PRI
Cool, you have anymore pics of it? Like of the turbo or the Driver side?
Old 03-22-2007, 02:16 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just out of curiousity what turbos are you running? most turbo's cost 700-1000 Each so even @ 1400 for both that only leaves you with 2600, an intercoller is gonna zap at least 600 of that, so now you are down to 2k, i dont see how injectors, headers, plumbing, wastegates, etc will come up to less the 2k even in parts alone
Old 03-22-2007, 02:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by kbracing96
Cool, you have anymore pics of it? Like of the turbo or the Driver side?
Ill see if i do, but i think that was the only pic i had
Old 03-22-2007, 02:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 88ls1blazer
just out of curiousity what turbos are you running? most turbo's cost 700-1000 Each so even @ 1400 for both that only leaves you with 2600, an intercoller is gonna zap at least 600 of that, so now you are down to 2k, i dont see how injectors, headers, plumbing, wastegates, etc will come up to less the 2k even in parts alone
twin t04B's. Got 'em brand new in the box for $700 for the set. Thus far I have about $400 in misc. plumbing, fittings, flanges, gaskets, etc. I have $300 in twin turbonetics/tial wastegates. I'll have about $80 in the mandrel bends for both downpipes. I'm using stock GTO manifolds flipped upside down, with a small adaptor pipe from 3 bolt header to t4 flange, and those cost me under $100. I had my eye on some 05-07 corvette manifolds on ebay that would have worked even better, but some dickbeater had to come along and bid them to high hell so I lost out on those. I could use the stock truck manifolds, but it would make space/location not as good as I'd like.

I bought the widest 6" intercooler I could find, for about $150 shipped. Since I am not running a ton of boost, pressure drop and IC design are not imperative, so a cheapie will work fine. It's a bar and plate unit that's about 30" wide and 6" tall, will fit perfectly in my denali's lower valance hole.

For piping I will wait until the turbos are in place, and my e-fan is installed, then decide how to run the piping. I will either buy a piping kit off ebay, or buy several mandrel bends, depending on how things look. This should run under $200. I will have to buy a BOV and flange, and get it welded on, which will run another $150-200 or so depending on whether I go new or used.

I just bought the 05+ e-fan setup for $225 and the pcm/fan harness from nelson for another $175. This is not a requirement for the turbo setup, but it'll free up space to make IC piping easier to run, and probably free up a little HP. It should also help the a/c work better while sitting in the walmart parking lot waiting for my wife to come out during the summer.

So right now I sit at $2500, and I have a more complete kit than the STS or the Trick. I will still need to run a custom exhaust, but then again I would with the Livernois or the Trick so that doesn't really need to be taken into account.

I will probably also do water/meth injection, but again this is optional with the other turbo kits so it doesnt have to be taken into account with my pricing.

Clearly I will come out far ahead of $4000 for a basic turbo kit w/o FMIC, and the money I save will pay for the additional mods required; FMIC, water/meth injection, fuel, tuning. I may even do a head/cam/intake swap and still be under budget for the basic hot parts kit.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have nothing but great dealing with Livernois on my Turbo system. Have the system for over 2 years with out any problems. The only thing i changed was I added a BOV and a Precission PT-67 Turbo...
Old 03-22-2007, 06:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I have had just about ever power adder there is available for our trucks except the Trick set up, and I can tell you from personal experience as a customer that the Livernois turbo is the best set up all around kit in every aspect, including their customer service to all the others I have encountered. I have actually owned 2 livernois kits and still have 1 of them on my daily driver and I cant wait to get up in the morning and drive it. The pictures you have seen of the kit do not do it justice until you see one in person. I added a BOV to mine so dont let that steer you away from the kit. If you need me to further explain to you why you need to buy the Livernois kit than you can just PM me.

Ryan

Last edited by 2toneblown; 03-22-2007 at 09:01 PM.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:39 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by 00Z71
I started looking at trubo kits. All kits will be intercooled A2A - Livernois offers injectors but Trick is stainless and has a bypass valve. Sts is rear mount.
Which kit do you think is a better deal?

http://www.nelsonperformance.com/ft_MountTurbo.htm
http://www.ststurbo.com/gm_trucks
IT is true other kits has been around longer then ours, and so be there would be more people have had them. We have been busy building and selling kits and hot pipes, but only few where from this site.
Ours are build from stainless and can be coated if you like.
We offer blow off valve with ever kit, and can easily add the T76 turbo if nedd be.
Nelsons builds a very clean Air/Air IC for the unit and can give the tuner support (and installationif need be) needed for a very complete install.
We also give our kits a 1 year warranty of all pipes, and welds.
Feel free to pm me if you need anything or give Allen a call at Nelsons.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am sure the Trick set up is very nice and I like to hear that you guys are standing behind yalls work with the 1 year warranty on pipes and welds. I have personally never came across with a Trick set up but cant wait to see one. I have just never been a fan of the log style header which is why I would prefer the Livernois old kit over a Trick kit or even a new style Livernois kit. I guess I probably should have explained that better in the previous post. In no way was I trying to bash Trick or any other company. Sorry

Last edited by 2toneblown; 03-22-2007 at 09:05 PM.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:40 PM
Launching!

hey, the log style works great on my buick

Quick Reply: Livernois or Trick Turbo?