FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

lm7 in a 84 Buick Regal

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 10:21 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lm7 in a 84 Buick Regal

i would like to build a non intercooled single turbo 5.3 LM7 Vortec 5300 and install it in a g-body car. These motors are more affordable than their bigger 6 litre counter part, but are they as stout structurally? I'm not looking to get too crazy. I would like a really reliable daily driver that I can occasionally take to the track and crack out some good times. I'm thinking somewhere around 10-13psi until I go intercooled. I would like a Single turbo LM7 to vaguely resemble a original TR engine bay(to the untrained eye). I'm not sure as to what tranny I should use, but I definatly want OD. I spoke with a tech from S&P performance and he said to go with the 4l60e. For wireharness some said speartech but I spoke with a tech from lt1350.com, and they had this to say...
"Our wiring harnesses interface with the existing vehicle's harness, so that everything from dashboard gauges to air conditioning functions as though it were factory. We offer complete gm wiring harness modifications on all gm performance engines from 1980 to 2007. We can take your existing harness and convert it to a 4-5 wire run harness. This includes installation of new fuel pump relay and high current waterproof cooling fan relay, data link connector, vats bypass and delete emissions if applicable, or complete California Emissions compliant and make it a complete no codes run, for about $300!"

I would like to go with dual 3 inch exhaust from torque tech. What do you recommed as far as downpipes. I inquired about a custom exhaust manifold @ with this weld shop. Make custom roll cages and stuff like that and he said to get a set of block hugger headers and then he can modify it so i can adapt a turbo to it. The headers I found that are ls1 gbodys are made by "schoenfeld headers" for $260ish. I was also goin to fab up a 2 1/2 cross over go. I would also need to retain a/c and powersteering. Do you know anyone who makes acessory brackets? I would like to keep as much of the oem components as possible. Any recommendations on what year make and model truck i should pull my drivetrain from?

Also whats all this i hear about turning the exhaust manifolds backwards and up instead of buying headers? I would be very interested in something like this. I'm really not trying to spend crazy money on this car. Like I said for right now i would like a quick daily driver. If I flippped the manifolds does any one have any recommmendations about how would i mount the turbo, down pipe and connect the cross over pipe without having a whole lotta pipes all over the top of my engine bay?
Old 08-21-2007, 10:58 AM
TOTM: January 2007

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Sounds like an interesting project.. The 5.3's are pretty stout. I would say 500rwhp would last for a good while if tuned properly.

However, I would never run 10-13psi non intercooled. You are going to be able to run any timing and it is going to ping like crazy. I would stick to 6-7psi for non-intercooled boost. 10-12psi intercooled is probably the most I would run on a stock 5.3 that is being used daily.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:09 AM
TECH Veteran

Go over to the swaps and hybrids section at www.ls1tech.com. They are quite a few G-bodys over there that have done swap. There's even one that's turbo'd, so they should be able to help you with the swap details.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would say the 5.3L has a very good track record. Like many have said, its all in the tune.

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=395971
Old 08-21-2007, 05:38 PM
On The Tree

for a regal i would get an intercooled 3.8 buick engine, you can make crazy amounts of power out of them, its not worth fabbing up a v8 turbo buick, its been done, they perform ok, but why do the 5.3 when you can bring a stock 3.8 into the 10s for a couple grand worth of work?
Old 08-21-2007, 05:49 PM
TECH Veteran

I think his reasoning is that the 5.3's are abundant, in good condition and cheap, where as a stock 3.8 turbo engine that's low mileage and cheap is hard to come by.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 199 Likes on 156 Posts

I don't remember Buick ever making a Regal truck.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:20 PM
Mr. Obvious

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
no but it is a truck motor being discussed here
Old 08-21-2007, 07:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 199 Likes on 156 Posts

Geez. Where does a guy have to go to be an a-hole nowadays?
Old 08-21-2007, 08:13 PM
5 year bitches!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
but buick did make a truck

Quick Reply: lm7 in a 84 Buick Regal