FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

looking for advise on lq4 swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 05:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for advise on lq4 swap

I'm currently getting ready to swap a lq4 into a s10. I have the lq4 4l80e and acc. and everything I need to make it run. I do want to turbo the truck in the future but was given a garrett turbo off a 7.3 stroker. What I want to ask is would it be a good idea to build the plumbing and turbo it now instead of doing all the n/a work (exhaust fab ect.) with the garrett and upgrade the turbo later when I have more money to spend on it? I would put a intercooler on it and do the plumbing with bov and wastegate and do all the fuel upgrades to make it work I'm just wondering if you see any problems this could lead to when upgrading?I'm not even worried about the hp right now just would like to do all my fab work at once and not have to redo it later. truck will be street driven when done also before upgrading the turbo but not raced.
btw I'm planning on a garrett single turbo for this truck I never intended to do a twin so I'm assuming the plumbing should be about the same.
thank's for the advise.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:08 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have the time, Do it the way you want the first time. It will be cheaper in the end, and you will enjoy it more.Spend your time on the research, not on all the wasted parts. It sound like it will be a blast...Good luck.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:32 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the turbo set up will add a lot to the price of the project. for me it would depend on how long you think it will be till you have the money to do it all. if you can swing it do it all at once but if it is going to be a couple of years before you have all the money you need then split it up into two projects. geting it running na and working thru some of the issues before you mess with the turbo might be less of a nightmare.
Old 03-01-2008, 06:26 AM
9 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would try to find at least a 62MM T4 flange turbo If I was going to do it. Arn't those PS turbos T3 internal wastegate?
Old 03-01-2008, 08:21 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the cost of the swap should come in under budget for me as it stands right now. everyone keeps telling me that you can't swap a gen 3 on the cheap however I've already have most of the hardware and under 2k into it including the truck. I understand that the turbo will add cost to the project and more work. I'm was more or less wondering if I would use the turbo would it require redoing a lot of plumbing in the future. I'm planing on using bb gt series turbo in the future but I have not figured out which one yet as I didn't set my goals for the completed truck. I plan on running 9's when done that's really my only goal as of right now but I know this turbo won't get me there. also the turbo I have I'm not sure of the exact model but it doesn't have a internal wastegate.