FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Ls9 HeadGasket / ARP Studs w/4.8L

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 06:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you doing all this (15-20psi of boost) on the stock bottom end?
Im about to throw my 10lb spring in!
Old 02-19-2012, 04:23 PM
Teching In

did you use threadlock on the head bolts? i just replaced mine without thread lock will it be ok?
Old 02-19-2012, 06:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On the head studs? You'll hear different things, but Haynes manual said Yes so I did. I want to say the ARP instruction say it's a "option". That in mind your only bringing them in hand tight, so work quickly to get the heads on and start torquing in sequence before it sets up.

The people who don't say it's get to hot for it to hold up, so you won't be alone in not running some. My thoughts is you can tell it was still in place on the stock bolts coming out, so go back in with it again.

Last edited by foose04; 02-19-2012 at 06:22 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:16 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjaminsince90
did you use threadlock on the head bolts? i just replaced mine without thread lock will it be ok?
I don't use threadlocker on the studs.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:01 PM
Laid Back

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by aklowriderz71
i don't use threadlocker on the studs.
x2...
Old 03-24-2012, 08:01 AM
Launching!

I'm pulling apart my 4.8L block as we speak. All these forced induction guys seem to have no issues with the stock pistons. Are you running methanol, etc.? Would you be able to get enough cooling with 93 pump gas as opposed to e85?

I plan to twin turbo my 4.8L and throw it into my GTO. I don't plan to do much in the name of cooling except stick the biggest intercooler that will fit under the hood in there. I would like to still run pump gas, and e85 on days I'm feeling silly. I'd prefer to not have to run methanol.

I'm going to have my block honed out some before I put it back together. Will the stock pistons hold up fine if I try to push to 700hp on the street? I've been looking at the Federal Mogul Sealed Power Pistons, Sealed Power ZH1132CT25MM - Speed-Pro Hypereutectic Pistons - Overview - SummitRacing.com , and wondering if I should add some insurance using these.

Thanks
Old 03-24-2012, 08:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have the motor out and apart, you might as well throw some forged internals in there. If you're gonna drop the chedder on a twin kit, it would be worth it to put some tough internals in there so you don't have to pull it back out when you smoke a cylinder.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:24 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Originally Posted by Quicklynx
I'm pulling apart my 4.8L block as we speak. All these forced induction guys seem to have no issues with the stock pistons. Are you running methanol, etc.? Would you be able to get enough cooling with 93 pump gas as opposed to e85?

I plan to twin turbo my 4.8L and throw it into my GTO. I don't plan to do much in the name of cooling except stick the biggest intercooler that will fit under the hood in there. I would like to still run pump gas, and e85 on days I'm feeling silly. I'd prefer to not have to run methanol.

I'm going to have my block honed out some before I put it back together. Will the stock pistons hold up fine if I try to push to 700hp on the street? I've been looking at the Federal Mogul Sealed Power Pistons, Sealed Power ZH1132CT25MM - Speed-Pro Hypereutectic Pistons - Overview - SummitRacing.com , and wondering if I should add some insurance using these.

Thanks
What year is the 4.8? And who's going to be doing your tuning?
Old 03-25-2012, 12:53 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Midnight
If you have the motor out and apart, you might as well throw some forged internals in there. If you're gonna drop the chedder on a twin kit, it would be worth it to put some tough internals in there so you don't have to pull it back out when you smoke a cylinder.
Do you think those sealed power ones would do the trick? After all I've read I'm debating on just slapping some ARP Ron bolts, Main + Head studs and calling it a day.

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
What year is the 4.8? And who's going to be doing your tuning?
99-04. I purchased the block only. The cylinder walls are clean and everything looks to be in solid shape. I guess $300 for some Sealed-power pistons, and a couple hundred for a hone and some balancing is well worth it though. I can go out to 298 cubes too.

I have HPTuners and have tuned a little myself, but for this build I plan to let Andrew at Complete Street Performance do the tuning.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:58 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

I don't think those Hypereutectics are much better than the stockers. On a budget, I'd run '05 & up rods & pistons on a stock crank. Otherwise, go straight to forged pistons & rods. Stock crank should do just fine at 700hp with a turbo, some have gone to 900+ on a stock crank with a turbo.

Quick Reply: Ls9 HeadGasket / ARP Studs w/4.8L