FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Made leaps and bounds with tuning recently. need opinions...

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 12:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think you fully understand how everything works. Is your tune scaled? If so, why? Your mods don't look extensive enough to need any scaling done.

Just because your STFT are within 2% while cruising doesn't mean your WOT fueling will be correct. Do you know how to use the scanner and log your fueling % error?
Old 02-04-2014, 01:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd opt for the extra air too. But seeing how the truck responded today to higher boost scared the **** outta me Lol.

The way the previous tuner had it tuned. Apparently he was tuning backwards. I'm no expert but the maf was way outta line as far as target AFR and actual AFR.

So the owner of 6L80etuning.com has been working on getting my maf where it should be.

In turn I suppose the pe table should be adjusted now?

Until we started getting the maf where it should be....my AFR on my wideband was 11.5 with no Meth. With Meth it was 10.5.

Now that the maf is more where it should be. Im now richer than 10 while spraying Meth.

Again any advice is good. This is how I'm learning... discussion.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It responded that way because your soooo rich. Like you said, your AFR was 11.5 without the meth. Now you added the meth and your super rich. go figure. You just added a 14gph nozzle of more fuel. So you need to tune for the extra fuel your injecting. Go back to the MAF table and take out the apporopriate amount of fuel in the regions your seeing the meth come on
Old 02-04-2014, 01:24 AM
On The Tree

Pardon my questions but...

Isn't the pe table where I would take fuel out?
Old 02-04-2014, 01:32 AM
Mod with training wheels

Received 204 Likes on 139 Posts

I use meth injection like its boost enrichment due to the progressive feature. It works fairly well in the smaller cam setups because as the meth injection reaches 100% duty cycle and starts running leaner with more rpm, the cam is typically starting to drop torque. Works out great because I start pulling fuel at that point in setups without meth anyway. Lower g/cyl, the less fuel you need.

As for calibrating the MAF with meth, you can't use the traditional % error method because fuel is coming from an independent source. You need to calibrate it as far as you can go on pump gas only and then extrapolate the curve after that for the region where you're adding methanol. Some people prefer to take fuel out in the MAF or VE table for meth, but I don't because those are the tables from which the PCM calculates delivered torque. And delivered torque determines shift pressures. So unless you feel like retuning everything that relies on that torque value...might as well take the fuel out of your boost/power enrichment. That's what the meth is anyway
Old 02-04-2014, 01:37 AM
On The Tree

I recall whacker... the owner of the 6L80 tuning site mentioning that the 6L80 relies heavily on the maf sensor for its operation.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:46 AM
Mod with training wheels

Originally Posted by roland1
I recall whacker... the owner of the 6L80 tuning site mentioning that the 6L80 relies heavily on the maf sensor for its operation.
Lots of transmissions do, even outside the General Motors bubble. So do the MAF calibration as its meant to be calibrated. Obviously you won't be able to do the entire operating range because at some point you'll need the methanol to continue making power and using more air. Within reason, extrapolate from the MAF range you can calibrate without methanol into the range where you need methanol. It won't be perfect but without a flow bench test rig, its the best you can do.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:49 AM
On The Tree

Excellent. So I've got some things to ponder tonight.

You guys using Meth... given my mods and engine and 10.8 compression. The Meth jet calculator recommends a 12 jet.

I have a 10 and a 14.

Which jet would you pick if you were me.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:54 AM
Mod with training wheels

Both. More meth means more power. You'll need it with that compression. Where did that camshaft come from?
Old 02-04-2014, 02:03 AM
On The Tree

Lol both. I was entertaining the idea of two 10gph nozzles.

On the 14 gph I'm going through a gallon in a few wot pulls! Is that normal.

My tank doesn't even hold a gallon

Quick Reply: Made leaps and bounds with tuning recently. need opinions...