FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

MAF before or after.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 11:34 AM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MAF before or after.

If the maf is before the turbo, I will know what the air temp is going into the engine.
If the maf is after the turbo, run into more clamps and couplers to pull it off.

Has anyone compared the 2 different spots.

Ricky
Old 08-02-2006, 11:44 AM
TECH Veteran

The MAF has to be after the turbo from what I know.
It would be sending the wrong data to the computer otherwise.
Temps, pressures and such would vary quite a bit.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:03 PM
TECH Addict

Cool

I don't know really. The STS system runs it after the turbo but it is at the engine so it makes sense to do it that way. The Radix runs it before but it too makes sense and would be difficult if not impossible to run it after the SC. If you run it before the turbo you should consider moving the IAT sensor to after the turbo so that your PCM has a better idea of your actual air temps after the air picks up heat from being compressed by the turbo. I think you might also be able to run less restrictive intake plumbing if you run the MAF after the turbo. Just basically a nice big filter on the compressor inlet. If you are planning on running an IC you will want to run the MAF after the IC.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:10 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you should put the MAF as close as possible to the throttle body. Or buy a separate IAT sensor and do a 2-bar tune and get rid of the MAF completely.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The MAF meters air, The air going into the turbo is the air going into the engine. The only thing moving the IAT effects is the timing in the engine. because for so many grams of air in the cyl you need so many grams of fuel. No my tuner said a draw through design will hold more HP before you max out the MAF, but blowing or sucking doesnt mater since its reading the same air.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:28 PM
Former Vendor

Thanks for the input
Ok IAT i believe is build into the MAF unit itself. Before makes a much cleaner install, then after in this application.
Can you install a different IAT as in a camaros and reroute its wires, would the computer understand this.

Ricky
Old 08-02-2006, 03:35 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can remove the iat sensor from the stock maf. Then you just need to splice the wires from the factory harness. I have mine just in front of the TB so that it sees the tempature after the meth.

I wonder if the maf would cause a noticable restriction before the turbo. Also remember that you will have to route your bov differently since it would release metered air if it goes to atmosphere.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine is before the turbo right now! and it sucks ***! we are going to move it after the turbo so it can get a true reading. right now if you let of the gas real quick the turbo is spinning pulling air and giving a reading that makes it run rich. your driveability will be much better after the turbo!
hope this helps!
Old 08-02-2006, 10:55 PM
Former Vendor

Thanks for the help, finished the pre installation tonite, and the only way to fit the maf is going to be after just like before.
Damm when I pulled the old IC off the had a huge amount of oil in there, guess the turbo was leaking.
Anyway I am going to throw the MAF on after the turbo, hope to have this running again this week..

Ricky
Old 08-03-2006, 05:10 PM
Launching!

Does this work for a centerfugal(sp?) supercharger also? MAF after the blower, right in front of the TB?

Quick Reply: MAF before or after.