FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Maggie and Nitrous - Stepped PSI?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 07:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Maggie and Nitrous - Stepped PSI?

Going through logs at the track from yesterday and I see something I've never noticed before.

Green line is logged boost but basically 9psi through 1st gear, 9.3 psi through 2nd, then over 10psi in spots through third. Given it some thought and I have an idea whats going on.

What do you think?

Yeah 167 degree IAT temps and 12 degrees of timing.
Attached Thumbnails Maggie and Nitrous - Stepped PSI?-boostlog.jpg  
Old 03-22-2009, 07:23 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Almost like a turbo, more load=more boost

Time for a TVS, sub 100* IATs are sounding pretty good huh?
Old 03-22-2009, 07:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah it's definitely load dependent. I think I understand why a turbo would react that way but still not quite understanding how a fixed displacement blower would.

If I had the cash I'd be all over the TVS. That log is 75 shot of nitrous and all I can throw methanol. So much for chemical cooling this thing.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:17 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Depending on the amount of nitrous you are using you can and will see boost pressures rise. The nitrous is trying to expand, and the blower is trying to compress.
The 420 megablower I had a sbc,pulleyed at 8-10 psi. 200shot of nitrous would peg a 15lb gauge.
And really make that old blower sound alot differnt.

Boost down and nitrous up, that will aid in your cooling.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TrickPerformanceProducts
Depending on the amount of nitrous you are using you can and will see boost pressures rise. The nitrous is trying to expand, and the blower is trying to compress.
The 420 megablower I had a sbc,pulleyed at 8-10 psi. 200shot of nitrous would peg a 15lb gauge.
And really make that old blower sound alot differnt.

Boost down and nitrous up, that will aid in your cooling.
Yeah knew it would UP the boost level. Just curious about the different levels vs. gear. Notice the sound difference too. Louder no doubt.

Hey, 5 psi boost and 200 shot of nitrous Kinda defeating the purpose

Originally Posted by 03tahoe22
Any difference with boost pressure raise or fall with a "wet" or "dry" shot? Is meth really a boost cooler or just a supplemental fuel source?

So much tuning involved and pulley change and nozzzle change... will anyone find the magic psi and hp shot ratio? Where is the happy medium.....

----KYSILVERADO---- What size pulley are you running? The Dyno Tuner told me he recorded 11psi with no spray on the chart in a third gear pull.. does that mean it could be higher in the 1/4 mile?
Yes methanol will cool and is a great octane boost and the primary reason I'm still using it.

I'm running a 2.9 pulley. I would say that in your case yes the PSI could go higher at the track if mine is any indicator, higher load, higher boost on the spray. Dynos don't load as well as the road as I understand.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what is your pre blower intake like?
this my be a way off idea

is there an actual ram air effect going on with the increasing speed?
Old 03-23-2009, 06:28 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting graph...mine never did that in such visible increment, I mean boost would vary but yours is clearly stepped.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by sharpshooter
what is your pre blower intake like?
this my be a way off idea

is there an actual ram air effect going on with the increasing speed?
Airaid with a KN filter. No headlight. If it curved with speed maybe but definite step right in line with the shift changes.

Not sure I want to see boost higher than 11psi .....isnt that danger zone? If I dont want to run meth all the time does it need to be tuned and just be added to existing setup but used to cool?

Is it really possible to force feed a blower? I was thinkin of closing off the side of my Volant air box that is closest to the fender and just having the drop down tow hook scoop to feed the Radix but that just seem like a small tube/hole and a huge restriction until I am going like 100mph.... But I also believe that going from a 78mm to 90mm TB would be more air = more boost but it was the opposite......( P=F/A ) bigger means less boost
There is a lot of tuning with methanol period, or at least has been my experience. I don't see running methanol without tuning. If you don't tune for it you will be rich when its on.

I'm not afraid of 11 psi so long as I'm fueling it well... which I'm working on right now from those logs.

There is no doubt "ram air" works on a N/A engine. Should help a FI also.

Originally Posted by trever1t
Interesting graph...mine never did that in such visible increment, I mean boost would vary but yours is clearly stepped.
Don't believe it's done it till going to the 80e. Strange.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:12 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Do you have a wideband gauge? That is the only way to moniter for going too lean, that I know of.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

I am not running meth and have 42# injectors with an inline pump on a 2003 Flexfuel 5.3L return fuel rail at 11psi with 75hp wet shot and was told that I dont have fueling issues by the tuner running consistent 11.4. Should I question that Information since you are running less boost and a dry shot? I have no scan software or gauges.

Dyno of Last Pull "Heat Soaked"
My 42# injectors were past their limit at 9-10 psi. It would still fuel it but IDC's were high. Trust your tuner? I would not run the levels you are at without gauges.

I have heard/read/searched 99-03 Return Rail systems can support more than 04-06 Return-less Rail systems... True or False?
I have also read the return systems support more and tend to agree because similar setup guys with returnless run out of fuel. I say True.

I also suggest that if you have specific questions on a setup instead of jacking another thread start one with your questions.

Quick Reply: Maggie and Nitrous - Stepped PSI?