FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Magna Charger Vs Pro Charger

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 11:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zippy
I'd be interested in seeing what the Procharger did at peak power since it didn't reach that by shutdown rpm. Either way I'm a fan of both blower units, where the difference is going to come in is at the track. The IAT's of the radix by 1/8 track are going to be making the difference in power over the procharger. On the street it's going to be a toss up with the radix having an advantage in stoplight racing. I'm curious though, with the comparison why wasn't a P-1SC used with only a 325 cube engine?
I am in agreement with you. The P1sc would probably the better comparison. A D1SC doesn't even have to work hard to push 10 psi on the 5.3 thus the compressor is less effecient at that low rpm i'd imagine. I still think the maggie will have more under the curve than the p1sc but I feel that there wouldn't be as big of a difference on this particular app. Who knows, maybe the P1SC would produce more hp at the same engine rpm and boost???
Retest! You know we are never satisfied!
Old 04-28-2006, 11:53 AM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mjhoward
You know we are never satisfied!

Thats a big 10-4

As for more HP at the same boost, not going to happen....simple physics! (this much air) will make (this much HP)
Old 04-28-2006, 12:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree, the only difference that could make more power at the same boost would either be from a difference in the air temperature going in or a difference in parasitic drag. (assuming the tuning is equall on both). For a daily driven street truck it'll be tough to top the Maggie.
Old 04-28-2006, 01:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'd stick with the maggie as well and the differences I was refering to that MAY give more power with the P1SC could be IAT's or drag etc not from the actual boost press. I'm just trying to stay open minded. But we won't know until someone tests it. I was really pushing that I speculate the lower to mid hp & tq #'s would be better with the smaller P1SC vs the D1SC on that small of an engine.
Old 04-28-2006, 01:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On a bigger cubed engine with head work and cam I believe the Procharger is capable of making more power than the Magnacharger. It all comes down to what your goals and setup are.
But yes, in this situation on this engine with the same boost, the Magnacharger wins.
Old 04-28-2006, 02:04 PM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Thats a great test! Awesome info. I would love to get my hands on the new Magnacharger for the Small block chevy's with vortec heads. Its pretty much identical to the radix, but it doesnt come in a kit. I havent heard much info about it from magnacharger though.
Old 04-28-2006, 04:31 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

side by side:
MP112............................................. .................................................. .ProCharger D1

Last edited by moregrip; 04-28-2006 at 05:00 PM.
Old 04-28-2006, 05:07 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When I used to run a procharger on my car I followed them pretty close. The D1SC guys always made more boost and faster(started at lower rpm) then the P1SC guys. Procharger advertising always mentioned the P1SC as better for midrange but, in the real world that never seemed like the case.

IMHO the P1SC wouldn't have faired as well as the D1SC in this test. It would have to spin faster to produce the same CFM as the D1SC which would mean more heat and drag.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Something I'm interested in here. I happen to be working on an SSS at the moment with a D1SC. It has a 4" pulley. From about 2700rpm to 5000rpm it only has 5psi and from about 5200rpm to 5800rpm (shift point) it rises to 8psi. Do you have a printout of the boost level during the dyno run?
Old 04-29-2006, 12:00 AM
Tribe Shaman

that's something that is disturbing me too.
it is the low boost under 5000 rpm's.
my powerdyne does not flow like a D-1, hell the D-1 has a flow rate of 1400 cfm's.
but my powerdyne produces a higher boost number then the D-1 according to the chart provided.
from 2000 to 6500 my unit produces 1.5 to 1.8 more psi at the same rpm.
what is baffling me is that the D-1 is a far better head unit then what I have.
did it have a small leak that bleed off, was it the intercooler that caused a pressure drop.

granted I know powerdyne's. I'm running stronger bearings, I have polished the inside of the scroll for less resistance, I shimmed my impeller blade closer to the scroll for a tighter tolerance, I am running a stronger aftermarket belt, but I still can not no where near flow like a D-1.

Quick Reply: Magna Charger Vs Pro Charger