FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Magna Charger Vs Pro Charger

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 02:52 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by parish8
amen, brother. radix this radix that... you can always find a graph that makes whatever it is that you are trying to PUSH look better than the competition, you just have to test under the right conditions.

i really wonder why the livernos kit hasn't taken off harder than it has. i belive it would rule in nearly all tests. hp per psi, top end potential, power under the curve, $ per hp. hell, i made 500(497)rwhp with a completely stock 4.8 thru the tcase, 4l80e and on a mustang while spining the tires and floating the valves.

the bigest positive for the radix is it's complete user friendly packaging and OEM like fit and finish. i understand that is a huge positive to anyone that wishes these trucks had more power from the factory but for many that want to push it harder there are much better options.
I seriously doubt these graphs or test procedures were rigged Parish, was that comment really needed in light of one of our own taking his valuable time and putting in the extra effort to give us all something more than just words?

when a product is truly that good it becomes popular, quality rises to the top. That's why we see thread after thread talking about the Radix this and Radix that, simple.
Old 04-29-2006, 03:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really dont see the need for a pissing contest here. Facts are facts. The magnacharger dominates the supercharger category right now to a certain point. I believe once your goals ecceed a certain number then you have to move to a turbo or centrifugal charger right now. In the future with Whipple,Magnuson,KB releasing bigger compressors then this may change.
Today-Centrifugals and turbos rule the extreme HP applications for our trucks.
A stated before, each charger has its place. I will be running a Procharger here shortly, but I feel my goals exceed what the Magnacharger can produce.
If I was going to stay in the 400-500rwhp area I would run the Magnacharger before anything else. Once again, it all comes down to your goals and setups.
Old 04-29-2006, 03:16 PM
what a rush!

Originally Posted by ranwalk
I really dont see the need for a pissing contest here. Facts are facts. The magnacharger dominates the supercharger category right now to a certain point. I believe once your goals ecceed a certain number then you have to move to a turbo or centrifugal charger right now. In the future with Whipple,Magnuson,KB releasing bigger compressors then this may change.
Today-Centrifugals and turbos rule the extreme HP applications for our trucks.
A stated before, each charger has its place. I will be running a Procharger here shortly, but I feel my goals exceed what the Magnacharger can produce.
If I was going to stay in the 400-500rwhp area I would run the Magnacharger before anything else. Once again, it all comes down to your goals and setups.
why is it everytime two people disagree publicly it's automatically labeled "a pissing match"? Why can't it just be a public disagreement? no harm no foul unless I am misunderstanding your comment, which might be the case

you kids have fun, I got some parts to install
Old 04-29-2006, 03:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by moregrip
why is it everytime two people disagree publicly it's automatically labeled "a pissing match"? Why can't it just be a public disagreement? no harm no foul unless I am misunderstanding your comment, which might be the case
I didnt reall mean it in a negative sense. I just though there was a little hostility in a couple of the post I read.
Old 04-29-2006, 04:03 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i feel no hostility. just posting what i believe to be true. if your going to show the results of a magna when it is in it's sweet spot you might as well set up a test when the other blower is in it's sweet spot too and show how the 2 blowers test under those conditions. i am absolutly not saying any test was riged but i am sugesting that the tests were performed under conditions where the magna would really shine.

i do feel a procharger is more of a drag racing set up. the ideal set up would be a ~4000stall and pully up the boost. set up the radix any way you want and set up a d1sc with the right stall, pully and traction and the d1sc will get the better ET. if your looking for ET then in this case the procharger would win. MANY people are looking for more than the best ET but some others are interested in the best drag stip time they can get.

the trade offs between the procharger and the magna are prety drastic. in my view a turbo has the best of both worlds. great low end, great driveability, great top end. the negatives would be a more complex set up than either of other set ups.
Old 04-29-2006, 05:05 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

all supercharger systems were boost maxed at 10 psi at 6500rpm. No tricks there, that is acutally higher than most trucks shift.
Old 04-29-2006, 05:18 PM
single digit dreamer

that might be higher than most radix trucks shift at. wonder why?
Old 04-29-2006, 05:26 PM
single digit dreamer

something that comes to mind about the prochargers. most guys are able to run higher peak boost than the turbo/radix guys for the same fuel. for me knock seems to hit the hardest mid gear at moderate rpms. peek tq area, not high rpms. since most people tune to the limit of their fuel you would be able to run a smaller pully on the procharger and get that peek boost up higher than us turbo/radix guys. that would help some bringing the lower rpm boost on sooner. it wont ever have the off idle power of the radix of the lower rpm tq of a turbo but it is something that brings that type of blower a little closer to the other compresors. for me this is one reason comparing an exact psi vs psi charts isn't 100% fair.
Old 04-29-2006, 05:50 PM
what a rush!

Originally Posted by parish8
something that comes to mind about the prochargers. most guys are able to run higher peak boost than the turbo/radix guys for the same fuel. for me knock seems to hit the hardest mid gear at moderate rpms. peek tq area, not high rpms. since most people tune to the limit of their fuel you would be able to run a smaller pully on the procharger and get that peek boost up higher than us turbo/radix guys. that would help some bringing the lower rpm boost on sooner. it wont ever have the off idle power of the radix of the lower rpm tq of a turbo but it is something that brings that type of blower a little closer to the other compresors. for me this is one reason comparing an exact psi vs psi charts isn't 100% fair.
are you saying you would need to overspin it for it to shine?

this test seems fair enough to me; seems like what you are suggesting is a max effort vs. max effort test that, in theory, would yield different results. I suppose the reality of that is, most guys are never going to go there, so what's the point, simply because the cost to do so is prohibitive.

Personally, I feel 10lbs of boost is a pretty fair test parameter. Sort of middle of the road(and max for some), making the most sense to widest audience. Let's face it, the Hard Core, eek every last drop of power out of your setup guys are few and far between, most prefer a balance and the ability to drive their vehicle daily if need be. 10 lbs of boost is a honest test parameter; generally speaking, that's just about the limit(+/-) of pump gas anyway without resorting to other, more expensive measures of preservation.

Last edited by moregrip; 04-29-2006 at 06:03 PM.
Old 04-29-2006, 06:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Parish- I pretty much agree with you 100% on the comparisons and how you can't really compare each one's real potential using the same standards due to they way they act and perform and how they respond differently to different situations. The Magnacharger has proven it is the best daily driven complete bolt on kit out there no question; I, like Jim, am not surprised of the results under the setting in that test. Does that make it a bad test? Of course not. It is still good usable info.

Basically the more rpm's you turn a centrifugal the more boost is produced (within reason). In that test I'd imagine the procharger didn't hit the max test boost until the max rpm that was pulled in the test. We all know the radix was probably pushing 10 lbs by no more than 3000rpm. That is why the Radix faired better in a non peak to peak boost test. As said before, they are both really good units with their own pro's and con's. It just depends on what you want out of your boosting device.

Quick Reply: Magna Charger Vs Pro Charger