FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Magna charger vs Whipple

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 05:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magna charger vs Whipple

Hello everyone very new to this forum I just signed up a few days ago. I've been reading about maybe supercharging my 2011 eclb 4x4 2500 Hd. In all the threads I have read It seems magnacharger is like 3 to 1 Favorite in these forums is this true? After reading about how each works in theory I think the whipple is ahead but not by public opinion it seems. i was wondering if anyone would enlighten me about each of these products. I have had the truck tuned by justin @ Blackbear ( what a great guy He did it in person and I would recommed him to anyone he seems to know alot about how these Gm trucks think!) it seems to be much better but I would like a some more power on tap. I tow about 3 times a month some where in the 9000 lb range but not too far so the mod would have to work in those conditions. One other question is on exhaust and cai systems. With the sc I would suppose an upgrade in them is required but should headers be done also?
thanks
Old 07-19-2011, 05:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since I own one, I vote for Magnacharger. It has been perfectly reliable since day one and from everything I've read, they are a solid, proven design. I tow a 7000lb trailer with it. Where the blower shines is when towing uphill, passing and under accceleration. Since it gives more torque, there's less gearing down and more power under load. When the pedal's down, it comes alive. For the most part it won't need to make boost except under those conditions.
I'm sure the Whipple is a great unit but the name doesn't have the following that Magnacharger does. Either way, if you can afford it then do it. You won't be disappointed. By the way, a pulley change is a 5-minute job on the TVS.
I'll buy another, but next time I'll go with the 2300. For a stock 5.3 the 1900 is a good match. Any bigger an engine and I'd consider a 2300.
Headers are nice, but certainly not necessary. The power gain would be fairly negligible in my opinion, especially if everything else remains stock. The HD exhaust is a good one with the dual pipe all the way to the muffler.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 197 Likes on 154 Posts

Headers made a quite noticeable difference on my truck.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:31 PM
makes children cry

Received 407 Likes on 334 Posts

a set of headers, especially with a supercharger, will open up 30-50hp over factory manifolds. i have a 2300 on my vette & it's friggin amazing, but i wanted a twin screw for the extra top end they produce over a roots. that said, Whipple still don't officially make anything for my car, & the Kenne Bell was a whole nother story for another time i went with the TVS & am still quite happy with it.

for a 5.3 (or even my LS1), the TVS1900 is a great size - you basically want to use the smallest blower for what your goals are: less mass, weight, drag, & heat to deal with.

i think the reason Maggies have the bigger following is because they've made more LS superchargers than just about all the other PD blower companies out there put together.

that said, both are still fantastic units & you won't be disappointed in either one - unless you really want a loud whine. then you'll have to get the Whipple; the TVS Maggies are pretty quiet without a cog drive
Old 07-20-2011, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

You didn't mention what particular Whipple you're considering. If it's the 2.9L, it doesn't belong on a heavy truck unless you have big cubes and big power goals. Either the TVS1900 on a stock build or TVS2300 if you're wanting quite a bit more would be better than the bigger twinscrew.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:48 PM
Teching In

I'm sorry for that the whipple is the W140AX MODELor the tvs 1900 thanks for your replies
Old 07-20-2011, 08:00 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I haven't seen much on the W140AX, here or anywhere else. It looks to be a good quality kit, but the Magnacharger is proven to be a solid & reliable performer. For that reason, I'd recommend the Magnacharger.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

The Whipple is a lot bigger blower, 116ci (TVS1900) vs 140ci. Personal, I go with the Whipple, just cuz I've done the 1900 and I've done the KB 2.8 so I'd like to see what a Whipple would do. I had the KB maxed out at 17psi and was not impressed... wasn't as fast as my 70mm turbo at 15 psi. Was fun to drive with all the low end boost though.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:52 PM
TECH Resident

Remember, a supercharger robs some serious crank horsepower just to drive itself. It'll never feel the same up high as a turbo, but the launch is king.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:13 PM
JJB
TECH Apprentice

keep me posted as to what you do iam probably gonna do the same thing i have a 2010 6.0 like you i dont know what the benefit vs going with the tVS 2300 would be like you i just want more towing and averall power i dont plan on doing anyother mod then whats on the kit...i did notice pulling my 5th wheel seems the tranny gets a little warm

Quick Reply: Magna charger vs Whipple