FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Magna SC arrived have few question?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 01:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magna SC arrived have few question?

Just received my Radix SC the other day. Have read in this forum some you guys are running electric fans on your heat exchangers.

I would like to know if your operating manually or by auto thermo sensor?
What degree sensor?
Stock air box or Cold air intake system.

Any help from you guys would be great. Need to find time to remove the procharger and install the Radix.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:34 PM
Teching In

Hi the Kiquee! So you should run an extra electric fan. Flex-a-lite makes a kit that has a thermo resister and junction box to where you can set the temp for the fans to kick on. It is so effiecint that you can set it to kick the fan on at 60% when the temp is 170F, then when it reaches 195F it will be running 100%.

To awnser your intake question. I reccomned keeping your stock intake box but removing the (accordian like) factory intake tube. Replacing the filter to a K&N will help and so will removing that tube. I have seen better intake temps going this route because the box still gets colder air from the side of the fender. The other intakes when the hood is closed usually heat soak, increasing intake temp's.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:28 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You want to keep things as cool as possible, so I don't think a rad fan switch is appropriate. The fan would typically be used to help remove heat or reduce heat soak when the vehicle is not in motion. So a manual or speed-activated switch would be more suitable. You may want the fans running most of/all the time if the heat exchanger is not located in a path of direct airflow when the vehicle is in motion.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:44 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DrX
You want to keep things as cool as possible, so I don't think a rad fan switch is appropriate. The fan would typically be used to help remove heat or reduce heat soak when the vehicle is not in motion. So a manual or speed-activated switch would be more suitable. You may want the fans running most of/all the time if the heat exchanger is not located in a path of direct airflow when the vehicle is in motion.
Speed activated switch, do you have a link to one???
Old 03-06-2010, 10:00 AM
DrX
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Red04Silverado
Speed activated switch, do you have a link to one???
No, but something could be tied into a VSS circuit. An airflow switch might be easier to find.
Old 03-06-2010, 12:20 PM
Teching In

Thumbs up

Thanks guys. Plan on running a 185* therm on and 170* off. Trips to the river and towing in 100*+ weather is what I'm worried about. Going with two 9 in. fans and custom making a inline housing to put the thermo sensor. I'm looking forward to this project and will possibly have many more question for you guys. Also will be selling my Procharger, everything with it will go too. Plus extra new pulley, belt for 9 psi and custom pvc intake setup. Thanks for the replies.
Old 03-06-2010, 01:50 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DrX
No, but something could be tied into a VSS circuit. An airflow switch might be easier to find.
Thanks Ill look into that.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Inquiring minds want to know......why the switch from centri to roots? I have the stock '05 efans with a 160 degree stat. No problems towing in 100+ degree heat. I'm sometimes concerned that I may jerk the tongue out of my trailer though.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:52 PM
Teching In

I'm going to roots cause I need the torque lower in the rpm verses the higher rpms with the centri. I like the centri and has very good power, if I was racing it on the weekends. I'm going with the roots cause I have a 8000lbs enclosed car trailer and a 5000lb boat trailer I tow every now and again. The centri didn't cut it for me for this application, or I would of stayed with it. Hope the Radix doesn't disappoint me. What do you guys think?
Old 03-07-2010, 10:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

What size stall are you using? Centrifugal requires more stall than a maggie. Most recommendations I got for my maggie stall were 2400~2800 rpm.. My Tahoe pulls my 5K+ camper very well now!

Quick Reply: Magna SC arrived have few question?