FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Magnacharger Broke Tensioner

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2005, 01:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Magnacharger Broke Tensioner

Guys,
A little help please. I threw a belt yesterday and broke the belt tensioner on my charger. With help from 1SlowHoe, thanks buddy. I've bought Dayco tensinoer assy 89222 and replaced the pulley with Dayco # 89015. I am not certian the pulley is the right size. When the tensioner snapped the pulley went to places unknown. According to Dayco pulley 89015 is 70mm, 6 rib and is the replacement for the idler on the 5.3.

Here are a couple links to the things I've bought. Anybody know if this is the right pulley. Good confidence the tensioner is correct as 1SlowHoe is using it.
Pulley

Tensioner Assy

This assembly might actually be the exact replacement but they didn't have one in stock?

89277 Tensioner Assy
Old 12-26-2005, 01:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PM blown364, he might be able to help.
Old 12-26-2005, 05:06 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

looks like the right tensioner to me, and Magna does use Dayco as a supplier.
I've seen a few of those tensionors break like that now.
Old 12-26-2005, 06:02 PM
blownerator

Call me on Tuesday and I will get a new one out to you...or atleast the correct part number.
Old 12-26-2005, 06:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Think I threw the belt. Got on it then let off real quick when the rear end broke loose. Ran over something, probably the end of the pulley and tensioner exiting the scene. No power steering etc... Pulled over to check it out. Belt was still in one piece but cut up, went to the toolbox and pulled out the spare belt and wrench, thinking no problemo, I'll just slap this on and be on my way. Tensioner snapped about mid arm. Identical to pic in 1ShowHoe thread. Took me 2 hours to drive home, 15 miles, Christmas day. Had to keep stopping and letting the truck cool back down since I had no water pump action.

Yeah, pretty sure its the right tensioner. Will be good info for those with same problem in future. Just don't know if the 89015 pulley is the right diameter.

I've given Magna a call today. Must be busy or closed. I didn't let it ring real long. On the road and cell phone about ran out. Where is Brian when you need him to save the day?
Old 12-26-2005, 06:26 PM
blownerator

Originally Posted by KySilverado
Think I threw the belt. Got on it then let off real quick when the rear end broke loose. Ran over something, probably the end of the pulley and tensioner exiting the scene. No power steering etc... Pulled over to check it out. Belt was still in one piece but cut up, went to the toolbox and pulled out the spare belt and wrench, thinking no problemo, I'll just slap this on and be on my way. Tensioner snapped about mid arm. Identical to pic in 1ShowHoe thread. Took me 2 hours to drive home, 15 miles, Christmas day. Had to keep stopping and letting the truck cool back down since I had no water pump action.

Yeah, pretty sure its the right tensioner. Will be good info for those with same problem in future. Just don't know if the 89015 pulley is the right diameter.

I've given Magna a call today. Must be busy or closed. I didn't let it ring real long. On the road and cell phone about ran out. Where is Brian when you need him to save the day?
if you have the right tensioner take the pulley off of the broken one and put it on the new one.

I am here, even I need a day off every once and a while.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
if you have the right tensioner take the pulley off of the broken one and put it on the new one.

I am here, even I need a day off every once and a while.
Wasn't giving you any grief I don't have the original pulley. It went missing once seperated from its home. Probalby laying in a ditch on US 127 somewhere south of Harrodsburg, KY.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:22 PM
blownerator

Wasn't giving you any grief I don't have the original pulley. It went missing once seperated from its home. Probalby laying in a ditch on US 127 somewhere south of Harrodsburg, KY.
YIkes, yeah we swap the pulleys out on them.....Call me tomorrow.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
Call me on Tuesday and I will get a new one out to you...or atleast the correct part number.
You sneaked this post in while I was typing the one below it. I will give you a call. Thanks. Can you PM me an extension or phone #?
Old 12-26-2005, 08:36 PM
blownerator

You sneaked this post in while I was typing the one below it. I will give you a call. Thanks. Can you PM me an extension or phone #?
805-642-8833 ex 252

Quick Reply: Magnacharger Broke Tensioner