FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Magnacharger Slop

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 07:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnacharger Slop

I just picked up a used Maggie 112 and have a concern about it. It's got some slop if you turn it back and forth, not sure if it's normal or not...I'm thinking not. A buddy of mine familiar with these came with me to check it out and he said it should NOT be like that. Says there should be a little more resistance to turning and it should be tight with no slop whatsoever. I still managed to get it for a price way too good to pass up and I'll get it fixed if need be.

Here's a video trying to show the issue:

The "knock" was done on purpose by switching from one direction to another to try and display the issue. It spins relatively freely in both directions, bearings feel good and tight, it just has slop.

First, is it normal and should I be worried about it?
Second, if it's not normal has anybody seen this issue before? What's wrong with it? Is it a simple fix? I'm very mechanically inclined, so can I just pick up a replacement piece and rebuild it? Do I need to send it to Maggie for rework? Should I just buy a new top unit and not worry about it?

Any info would be appreciated, I'm in the dark about it at this point. Figured I'd try and get some info from you guys before I tear it apart.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:21 PM
Launching!

Yah that sure doesnt sound good. There should be more resistance. Ask the seller were you got it if hes ever had it apart before. Theres alot of parts that work in squence when it spins. He might have forgot or missed somthing when he re assembled it. Theres a few Maggie pros on here. Im sure they know problem.

Last edited by BuiltNotBought; 10-05-2009 at 08:27 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:36 PM
Staging Lane

yah thats not good.. I'd just send it to maggie for a rebuilt.. its affordable and you have a good as new unit when they're finished.

Mine was rebuilt and works flawlessly

Good luck
Old 10-05-2009, 10:41 PM
Teching In

How much does that cost if you don't mind me asking?
Old 10-05-2009, 10:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine did not have any slop in it when turning it by hand, and it made suction with the slightest turn (there was tape closing off the end of the j-tube, and you could see the tape getting sucked back and forth). Prob be best to have Magnacharger check it out before you spend an entire day putting the thing on only to find out there's a problem with it. Keep us posted
Old 10-05-2009, 10:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bbaCJ8
How much does that cost if you don't mind me asking?
PM Blown Chevy on here. He is the local Maggie rep/expert and a good guy.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TX Tahoe Z71
Mine did not have any slop in it when turning it by hand, and it made suction with the slightest turn (there was tape closing off the end of the j-tube, and you could see the tape getting sucked back and forth). Prob be best to have Magnacharger check it out before you spend an entire day putting the thing on only to find out there's a problem with it. Keep us posted
Yeah there's definitely suction but obviously something else isn't right. It'll be a good 6 months before this thing gets used anyway, I'm in the middle of a custom build from the ground up....I just happened to find a deal I couldn't possibly pass up so I got the blower now and set it in place temporarily.

PM Blown Chevy on here. He is the local Maggie rep/expert and a good guy.
Thanks
Old 10-05-2009, 11:33 PM
Launching!

Yah mine did the same thing
Old 10-05-2009, 11:33 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I watched your vid, and that is looking normal to me. I'm comparing it to my own truck, which I installed brand new, and two other trucks(customers of mine) that I work on regularly. All three have the MP112, and all three are like yours.

TX, you might wanna slip your belt off and recheck yours, then post up. Your answer will change.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:13 AM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The Nose Drive has a "torsional isolator" to dampen the load on and off throttle. If you are interested you can pull the nose drive off and inspect the isolator, if it is in fact damaged we have an oil change kit (29.95) that includes a direct drive molyguard that will eliminate this. You will get more noise and potential rotor knock with a molyguard.

The more I listen to it, the more I think there might be an issue.....pull the nose drive off and inspect it.

Quick Reply: Magnacharger Slop