FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Making the turbo louder? at idle

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 05:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making the turbo louder? at idle

Just wondering about this, I see some videos of STS turbos on silverados and you can hear the turbo whistling while the truck just sits there at idle. Mine is crazy quiet, you can't hear it at all until it goes into boost (which is somewhat a good thing, from a stop to about 3,000rpm people think it's just a stock truck w/ exhaust)

I know that on the dodge cummins (garrett turbos) people remove the silencer ring at the inlet of the turbo. I have a master power 70 turbo, I'm pretty sure they arn't made the same, but wondering if there was anything that could be done?
Old 05-01-2011, 05:30 PM
TECH Resident

Old 05-01-2011, 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

I duno if you have a rear mount or not but they typically have an extremely short downpipe, like less than a foot in most cases...... I always figured this made em whistle a little louder
Old 05-01-2011, 09:36 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Swerve7rpm2000
I duno if you have a rear mount or not but they typically have an extremely short downpipe, like less than a foot in most cases...... I always figured this made em whistle a little louder
ahh, you probably nailed it. I've been searching a lot about it and I can only find stuff on diesel engines, everyone says to add the huge down pipe and get rid of mufflers/cats

I did stumble across a Wrx sti post though, where they removed the silencer on the turbo and it cause the turbo to be louder

02z71-- explain? lol
Old 05-05-2011, 10:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The sts turbos (Garret) are more noisie. Mine was really loud. I had the gt67 ball baring turbo and it was loud at idle and just daily driving it. I loved it. I have the turbonotics t-62 on my wifes avy (rear mount) and you cant hear anything. the t-62 has a 4 inch inlet. the garret has a 3 inch inlet. I don't know about the MP70.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Put a cut out right after your downpipe connects to the exhaust. Just open it when at idle or slow rolling a parking lot. I drove mine on an open down pipe for a little while and it whistled like crazy. It got real quiet at idle after the exhaust went on.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:59 AM
Teching In

5 inch exhaust pipe will do it :-) also put the largest airfilter you can preferably with metal filtered nose cap...
Old 05-06-2011, 09:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

A ball bearing turbo will be more prone to "whistle" at idle and low rpm because they spool so much easier from the less resistance from having a ball bearing center cartridge. A normal thrust bearing center cartridge turbo will never spool as fast as a ball bearing of the same size, thus less sound at idle.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:57 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by carbongmc
A ball bearing turbo will be more prone to "whistle" at idle and low rpm because they spool so much easier from the less resistance from having a ball bearing center cartridge. A normal thrust bearing center cartridge turbo will never spool as fast as a ball bearing of the same size, thus less sound at idle.
I agree 100%. I can take the air filter off and look at the inlet perpeller as the motor idles cold and it is not spinning. after 2 minutes it starts to spin alittle bit. I miss my ball bearing turbo
Old 05-09-2011, 01:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

big air filter directly on the turbo and a cut-out on the downpipe.
those r the only 2 things i can think of.

Quick Reply: Making the turbo louder? at idle