Old 07-25-2007, 08:09 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Harbor Freight option.....
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...o?itemid=32905
Old 07-25-2007, 08:14 AM
Staging Lane

I should add that with a simple regulator style you are loosing a little performance. The more expensive models (still VERY cheap) have a spring and ball in them to allow full boost until you get the preassure you want and then it will open and the wastegate will see the preassure and open as well. I have not taken apart the Harbor Freight one to see how it works. I spend a few more bucks and ordered from boostvalve.com. I got the kit with the switch so I could control the boost level in one stage.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by blowme

Sorry new post changed my mind on the comment I made
Old 07-25-2007, 10:01 AM
Staging Lane

Don't let me scare you. As long as you have a boost guage you can play safely. At $12 bucks investment you will learn a lot and figure out what you really want, instead of spending a bunch of money on parts you might not use or need.

Just keep an eye on the boost and back off if you see it going too high.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Just ordered a Voodoo boost controller with ceramic ball. I will report back later on the results. 25 bucks shipped
Old 07-25-2007, 02:03 PM
Staging Lane

One thing I have not done yet.. (waiting to buy an innercooler and do everything at once) is to move the Wastegate boost source from the Manifold instead of the Turbo.

A lot of guys have run a line from the manifold to the wastegate for more accurate and faster spooling. I am sure the guys that have done it can explain the results better than me.

It looks like the wastegate can open as soon as the turbo reaches pressure if the wastegate is connected to the Turbo. If you connect to the manifold then the wastegate does not open until the engine is being feed the right pressure. Doing this will compensate for pressure drop from installing an innercooler and sounds like a good idea to reduce any lag.

just my $.02
Old 07-25-2007, 03:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by blowme
One thing I have not done yet.. (waiting to buy an innercooler and do everything at once) is to move the Wastegate boost source from the Manifold instead of the Turbo.

A lot of guys have run a line from the manifold to the wastegate for more accurate and faster spooling. I am sure the guys that have done it can explain the results better than me.

It looks like the wastegate can open as soon as the turbo reaches pressure if the wastegate is connected to the Turbo. If you connect to the manifold then the wastegate does not open until the engine is being feed the right pressure. Doing this will compensate for pressure drop from installing an innercooler and sounds like a good idea to reduce any lag.

just my $.02
I have done that, I can't remember being terribly impressed. it sounded good so I did it. I think it did light the tires a little easier tho.