FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

max hp on t-case? turbo guys

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 07:06 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i know but i dont think the d-maxs run the same case as we do. but i dont know that for sure. i have ran 750 on the street in my AWD t-case but now that the 80 is going in i dont want to stop. im thinking of putting heads and a little gas on it just to see how much that lil 408 can take..lol, i just dont want that damn t-case to come apart under me...
Old 10-28-2009, 09:34 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what case do you have? there are a ton of different AWD cases. the borgwarners ones i don't think will hold the power as well as the others. the nv149 has almost all the same parts as the autotrac. i took the gears, chain, bearings, and rear case half off an autotrac to install in a f*cked up nv-149 that i bought. the nv149 is rated to like 2300 or more ftlb of input torque. its on their website. the borgwarner cases which i believe is what Livernois had in theirs has an open diff inside it and transfers torque by the brakes engaging the free spinning wheel. their not as strong. the parts inside the nv case are pretty beefy. the bearing are huge and some spots have double ball bearings. the viscuos coupler in the 149 is good size too. the smallest bearing in the case is the needle bearing on the rear half for the front output shaft. this is the nv 149 and autotrac case.

although l'd take it apart and install the new style oil pump retainer if i were you. the old one is know to break and cause the pump to wear a hole in the case. not to mention the broke metal piece getting smashed around inside there.

trying to disengage autotrac while under power would be ruff for sure. lol in 4wd the clutch pack is pressed by a lever that the motor holds pressure on. so when you disconnect all its doing is releasing pressure on the clutch pack. so in turn its gonna smoke the clutches as they disengage and probably be hell on the rest of the parts. i took one apart to play with it and see how it all works. its kinda crazy and yet simple. lol

Last edited by 4.8T; 10-28-2009 at 09:47 AM.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

how can you tell what case it is?
Old 10-28-2009, 09:49 AM
12 Second Truck Club

look at the back of it on the tag on the case.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:41 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 4.8T
what case do you have? there are a ton of different AWD cases. the borgwarners ones i don't think will hold the power as well as the others. the nv149 has almost all the same parts as the autotrac. i took the gears, chain, bearings, and rear case half off an autotrac to install in a f*cked up nv-149 that i bought. the nv149 is rated to like 2300 or more ftlb of input torque. its on their website. the borgwarner cases which i believe is what Livernois had in theirs has an open diff inside it and transfers torque by the brakes engaging the free spinning wheel. their not as strong. the parts inside the nv case are pretty beefy. the bearing are huge and some spots have double ball bearings. the viscuos coupler in the 149 is good size too. the smallest bearing in the case is the needle bearing on the rear half for the front output shaft. this is the nv 149 and autotrac case.

although l'd take it apart and install the new style oil pump retainer if i were you. the old one is know to break and cause the pump to wear a hole in the case. not to mention the broke metal piece getting smashed around inside there.

trying to disengage autotrac while under power would be ruff for sure. lol in 4wd the clutch pack is pressed by a lever that the motor holds pressure on. so when you disconnect all its doing is releasing pressure on the clutch pack. so in turn its gonna smoke the clutches as they disengage and probably be hell on the rest of the parts. i took one apart to play with it and see how it all works. its kinda crazy and yet simple. lol
not that is a damn answer...lol, i have a NV149 case or that is what it says on the tag.(149gm) i think is what it says. so in all im ok with the case. do you know the new style oil pump retainer part num?

i would have thought that it the case was going to go it would have already went with the STS set up running 1.73 60s, and the radix making 600rwhp "like now", and the all motor setup with the 200shot out of the hole,( that was fun), i just knew that it would have found a weak link by now.

so im good!!!!!??
Old 10-28-2009, 01:46 PM
12 Second Truck Club

ok the part number is 89059653 and for reference here is a write up with it https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=368971 scroll to the very last post and it shows what happens and what the new one looks like installed on the pump. while your in there inspect the chain make sure it hasn't stretch too much and i would say your good. if you want there is a test for the viscous coupler also. it has to be installed in the truck though.

Last edited by 4.8T; 10-28-2009 at 01:53 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:29 PM
TECH Resident

ok the part number is 89059653 and for reference here is a write up with it https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=368971 scroll to the very last post and it shows what happens and what the new one looks like installed on the pump. while your in there inspect the chain make sure it hasn't stretch too much and i would say your good. if you want there is a test for the viscous coupler also. it has to be installed in the truck though.
now i have a AWD t-case but it says 149 on the tag. and my gear i got from EDperformance does not look like the one in the pic. it has no teeth on the outside of the unit.? what does that mean..
Old 10-28-2009, 07:09 PM
12 Second Truck Club

what part are you referring to? the case in that link is a autotrac case. just look at the last reply (which is my reply) for the reference on the oil pump retainer. if your talking input shaft its because that input shaft is connected to a planetary for low range. you have no low range so you won't need that part. your main shaft will just slide right into your input shaft.

Last edited by 4.8T; 10-28-2009 at 07:20 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:55 PM
TECH Resident

what part are you referring to? the case in that link is a autotrac case. just look at the last reply (which is my reply) for the reference on the oil pump retainer. if your talking input shaft its because that input shaft is connected to a planetary for low range. you have no low range so you won't need that part. your main shaft will just slide right into your input shaft.
oo,. ya i just told them that i have a AWD t-case 149 and thay said ok that will be 375dollars,,,,lol, it has 32splins in side, and it will fit an 80 i was told. THAT was the only part i needed and the flexplat,and spacer. hope that is all. the trans will be in monday and have to be driving it on wed.