FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Methanol Pre-Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 11:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if i ever put a meth kit on my truck ill have real small nozzles before the turbos and a larger one after FWIW.....
Old 07-11-2012, 11:09 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

Whats the logic of spraying before the turbo?
Old 07-11-2012, 11:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

whats the logic in half the **** we do?!? hahaha

the way i see it is its kinda like the big superchargers that have to have the fuel running through them to "seal" up. i think it would help out with the turbo efficiency and also just be that much more cooling everything down. and i just want to... haha

i very well might be completely wrong but if i werent to have any solid proof not to do it id try it
Old 07-11-2012, 11:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it was a boltup turbo id like to try it on a On3 turbo and see what happens. Those things are only $340 shipped.
I dont wanna chance hurting my 900$ BW.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

i can understand hurting the compressor blades spinning a a bajillion and a half rpm but the methanol eating up the aluminum doesnt concern me at all. its not like youre soaking the wheel in the meth for a week... youre spraying a fine mist over it for a few seconds then its instantly gone. and how is that any different than spraying it through an aluminum intake or into the aluminum heads..??
Old 07-11-2012, 11:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats what i was wondering.
Everybody on YB said 99% of the spray mist is evaporated before it even comes out of the comp outlet.
And it has plenty of time to sling any residual liquid off the blades and dry out in half a second after the spray stops. So the only possible thing i could see it doin is causing more stress on the comp wheel having the mist hitting the blades at high rpms.

Its almost sounds oppiste what you would think since the water has to displace the air at some point. So it doesnt make sense that it makes the turbo more effecient. Unless the cooling effect takes over??
Old 07-12-2012, 12:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I have done a TON of research on this for my truck. Bottom line from the guys who have ACTUALLY done it is it works just fine and there is NO issues with erosion from friction OR meth. It just isn't in liquid form long enough. The benefit is you are cooling the air at the heated source, so you're putting cooler air into the intercooler so it can extract even more temp, until you are closer to being thermally neutral.

I have plans to do this some day, just have never gotten around to it. I'll be using a M5 pre-turbo and a M15 post.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:57 AM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are they running water? I can see using straight meth.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:08 AM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by quicksilverado
Spray water pre turbo and it will not hurt the wheel.
Water is probably the worst fluid because it's the only non-compressible subsantce in the world. It's one of the primary reasons why it is used in water-jet machines.

Originally Posted by kbracing96
I have done a TON of research on this for my truck. Bottom line from the guys who have ACTUALLY done it is it works just fine and there is NO issues with erosion from friction OR meth. It just isn't in liquid form long enough. The benefit is you are cooling the air at the heated source, so you're putting cooler air into the intercooler so it can extract even more temp, until you are closer to being thermally neutral.

I have plans to do this some day, just have never gotten around to it. I'll be using a M5 pre-turbo and a M15 post.
I still think that regardless of nozzle atomization, line pressures used, and latent heat absorbtion from the intake charge that water will still be saturated and will cause blade errosion over time.
The combination of pressure and heat required to superheat any fluid will not be found prior to the impeller. Yes it won't cause immediate damage to the impeller but used enough, over time it will damage the impeller blades and at the very minimum hurt the efficiency of the blades.

I haven't touched the subject of fluid dynamics in over ten years, back when I thought I was smart, but I have a inherrent aversion to thinking it's ok to use water or any fluid pre-turbo. The only saving grace I see in any of this is most of what I learned about this had to do with steam turbines whose blades were 4-6 feet long which caused the blade tips to border on supersonic speeds. I'm not sure what the blade tip speed is on the turbo's we use is but maybe someone can do the math for us.

Just something I dug up prior to posting...

Tiny water hammers bash blades - physicsworld.com
Old 07-12-2012, 02:40 AM
TECH Junkie

When I asked Julio at Alky-control about doing it on mine, he said not to until I was out of turbo. That plenty do it, but if you can easily raise the boost with the controller, leave the meth after the intercooler.

I would think it would help my ole ebay intercooler out by having the air that enters it cooler already. The nozzle you should use should allow for complete evaporation of the meth before leaving the turbo.

Quick Reply: Methanol Pre-Turbo