FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Methanol Pre-Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 03:11 AM
9 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kbracing96
I have done a TON of research on this for my truck. Bottom line from the guys who have ACTUALLY done it is it works just fine and there is NO issues with erosion from friction OR meth. It just isn't in liquid form long enough. The benefit is you are cooling the air at the heated source, so you're putting cooler air into the intercooler so it can extract even more temp, until you are closer to being thermally neutral.

I have plans to do this some day, just have never gotten around to it. I'll be using a M5 pre-turbo and a M15 post.
They arn't doing it as much for cooling it is to displace air and make the compressor more efficient. It is worth some power but I would never do it unless I was sponsored turbos like the big wigs over on the mullet..
Old 07-12-2012, 09:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Spoolin;4954555]Water is probably the worst fluid because it's the only non-compressible subsantce in the world. It's one of the primary reasons why it is used in water-jet machines.

During WWII the govt did extensive research on how to extract the most power from sc planes. They were able to make the most power by spraying water pre sc. This was when extra power was the difference between life and death. They tried meth pre and post sc and water pre and post sc.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:21 AM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nonnieselman
Its almost sounds oppiste what you would think since the water has to displace the air at some point. So it doesnt make sense that it makes the turbo more effecient. Unless the cooling effect takes over??
It makes the turbo more efficient by closing up the tolerances between the compressor wheel and the housing.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by slow67
It makes the turbo more efficient by closing up the tolerances between the compressor wheel and the housing.
Now thats what i was wondering.. thanks!

i guess that plus lower temperature add up.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:07 AM
Mod with training wheels

Received 204 Likes on 139 Posts

Lol, meth/alcohol injection causes the biggest debates...

Not to **** anyone off, but the ability of an atomized liquid to 'seal' the area between the compressor blades and the housing is negligible considering how a turbo works. If you think about it, its not a positive displacement type of forced induction, so the whole 'moving pockets of air in a sealed container' argument doesn't really stand up. After all, air/methanol/water (use fluid as a catch-all, as that's what they all are) is never really sealed in the compressor to begin with, as there is always space in between the blades where no sealing ever occurs.

Methanol (or any other liquid that evaporates into a gas and consumes heat energy) that is injected pre-compressor can improve the mass-rate of air being moved post-compressor. Methanol does this by being injected as an atomized liquid, and as it is compressed and heated, the change from liquid to gas is accelerated due to the excessive heat energy. Consuming the heat energy cools the outgoing air into a more dense charge, increasing the mass-rate post-compressor. Its like a small shot of nitrous, same concept...more oxygen to burn resulting from work that the compressor doesn't have to do. And we all know that a shot of nitrous can bring your boost up...(foose lol). The quicker the turbo can build boost vs mass consumed, the more efficient the compressor is

I do a lot of research in thermal system dynamics and fluid mechanics...sort of goes along with my career field lol
Old 07-12-2012, 12:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

what do you do for a living...
Old 07-12-2012, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeshow

Not to **** anyone off, but the ability of an atomized liquid to 'seal' the area between the compressor blades and the housing is negligible considering how a turbo works. If you think about it, its not a positive displacement type of forced induction, so the whole 'moving pockets of air in a sealed container' argument doesn't really stand up. After all, air/methanol/water (use fluid as a catch-all, as that's what they all are) is never really sealed in the compressor to begin with, as there is always space in between the blades where no sealing ever occurs.

Methanol (or any other liquid that evaporates into a gas and consumes heat energy) that is injected pre-compressor can improve the mass-rate of air being moved post-compressor. Methanol does this by being injected as an atomized liquid, and as it is compressed and heated, the change from liquid to gas is accelerated due to the excessive heat energy. Consuming the heat energy cools the outgoing air into a more dense charge, increasing the mass-rate post-compressor. Its like a small shot of nitrous, same concept...more oxygen to burn resulting from work that the compressor doesn't have to do. And we all know that a shot of nitrous can bring your boost up...(foose lol). The quicker the turbo can build boost vs mass consumed, the more efficient the compressor is

I do a lot of research in thermal system dynamics and fluid mechanics...sort of goes along with my career field lol
nice response!! makes sense
Old 07-12-2012, 02:56 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by quicksilverado
During WWII the govt did extensive research on how to extract the most power from sc planes. They were able to make the most power by spraying water pre sc. This was when extra power was the difference between life and death. They tried meth pre and post sc and water pre and post sc.
The supercharger you are referring to is a Positive displacement pump, completely different from a centrifugal pump. They have completely different design characteristics and flow dynamics and therefore the application of certain elements into each one differs. For instance you cannot close the discharge on a positive displacement pump or you will destroy it, not so with a centrifugal pump as it will just become a static system.
Adding water to a positive displacement pump is fine, as a matter of fact if people wanted to add a nozzle before there Eaton blowers it would probably work well. I did read somewhere that adding meth pre-blower does eat the coating on the rotors though.
Sorry if I seemed rude, wasn't my intention. Not looking to show anyone up, I just like these kind of discussions!

Originally Posted by smokeshow

Now you've really pissed me off!!

Agree on all accounts, just want to add that the atmospheric boiling point of Methanol is 65 degrees C and that of Water is 100 degrees C. And pre-turbo there is a vacume state present which lowers the atmospheric boiling condidtions of each fluid, yet water will still remain saturated.

I remember watching a steam turbine implode in a steam lab when I was in school because the steam was not superheated but was saturated.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:57 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nonnieselman
what do you do for a living...

At the moment he's a truck thief...Ask me how I know!!
Old 07-12-2012, 03:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Somebody just needs to test it on a cheap turbo at 90,000rpms and see how long the comp will hold up to pure meth and pure water..

volunteers??

Quick Reply: Methanol Pre-Turbo