FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Mismatched combo. Undersized turbo. Where to go next.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 12:07 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mismatched combo. Undersized turbo. Where to go next.

Buckle in, this may be a long post.

Current setup:

2003 rcsb lq4/4l80 swap
comp 222/230 113 + 1, .581/.590
kbracing log, homemade crossover + downpipe
Full 3 inch exhaust through a gibson muffler
China gt45, 69mm compressor/77mm turbine
China 60mm gate
Cxracing 31x12x3 intercooler/ 3inch coldside piping
4.11 gears/tru trac

How I got to this "turbo setup." I was tired with my cam only lq4, and started thinking of other options. I had planned on heads and an intake next. I figured up the following price range for that setup:

used 243s - $400
head bolts/gaskets - ~$200
used tbss/nnbs intake - ~$150
90mm tb- not sure ~ 200ish
x link - ~$250

Total --- $1200

This price range acctually had me thinking about boost/nitrous. I had figured I could put that money towards a turbo kit, and be better in the long run. Sometimes wish I had went with nitrous now. Anyways, this is how I arrived at my current setup. I wanted a "upgradeable" turbo setup, and built one for under $1500 minus fuel. Granted, it leaves a lot to be desired still.

This brings me to the current. I should be finishing out my fuel in the next few weeks. It will consist of a walbro 400 and a set of deka 60s or 80s. My plan is to run the small gt45 until I can afford an upgrade to a borg warner s400 series, or a china 80mm like 02camaross runs. I think I will be fine running my current setup at 6-8psi. Then, after the turbo is upgraded, Id really like to see what I could do with this truck.

My question is: I hear a lot of people say this turbo "chokes" on my setup. What exactly does this mean? Does that mean the compressor gets out of the efficiency at a lower boost level? Does that mean the exhaust wheel will only flow a certain rpm?

I'm asking because I'd like to run my cam for a little while, but I am unsure if it will be beneficial at 6-8psi. I'd also like to learn more on turbos in general. I have my stock cam to throw in there if it will perform better. Obviously, gears and stall need to be addressed, but I am just trying to take one thing at a time. Just asking to see if swapping back to a stock cam would make my setup more "matched." Also, just wanting people opinions.

Sorry for the novel guys.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:33 AM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

If you haven't ran it out yet. You don't know if its mis-matched.
Perfect probably not. Workable. Probably.
What's the little size on your exhaust wheel?
What's the final power goal?
How have you spent so far, in real money and time?

I see your projected costing.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:18 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TrickPerformanceProducts
If you haven't ran it out yet. You don't know if its mis-matched.
Perfect probably not. Workable. Probably.
What's the little size on your exhaust wheel?
What's the final power goal?
How have you spent so far, in real money and time?

I see your projected costing.
Just assuming its mismatched from reading. Most people run quite a bit bigger turbo with a 6.0. Let alone one with a big cam. I don't know if that means this turbo will tap out at a lower boost level or just fall off at higher rpms.

Turbine size: inducer-87.4, exducer-77

Goals: low, anything over 400 I will be happy with on this turbo. After an upgrade, I'd really like to see the potential of my kit

Cost: so far I've spent around 1500, if not less. Labor has been another story. I've got 10hrs in just my downpipe and prlly 16-18 for my completr exhaust. Ive had time lately, just not money. Why do you say the projected should be costly?

Thanks for all the help. You've really been helpful to all my questions. Definitely a great sponsor!
Old 06-24-2013, 08:25 AM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

I didn't.
I was saying I see you projected costs. You written up.
Was wonder what actual funds had been spent.

I know working in paper prior to a build is always cheaper then the real build.
Always little stuff that gets missed.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your in the ball park, your setup will work but it aint perfect. Turbo to small, cam to big and you never said what converter you have. Id go for a 212 or 215 cam and a gt45 76-77 then run a 3400 stall from a company that knows how to build turbo setups
Old 06-24-2013, 09:14 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TrickPerformanceProducts
I didn't.
I was saying I see you projected costs. You written up.
Was wonder what actual funds had been spent.

I know working in paper prior to a build is always cheaper then the real build.
Always little stuff that gets missed.
I agree on the little stuff. The projected costs for the heads and intake were just my motivator for the turbo. Never did heads and intake.

I had projected around 1200 for my turbo and ended up with around 1500 in it. The little stuff does add up.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:17 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Jake99
Your in the ball park, your setup will work but it aint perfect. Turbo to small, cam to big and you never said what converter you have. Id go for a 212 or 215 cam and a gt45 76-77 then run a 3400 stall from a company that knows how to build turbo setups
Stock converter for now. It seems like I always put a converter off in my builds I really shouldn't be like that.

Thanks for the help man.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

The turbine side of the turbo is big enough your not gonna choke it, It just will start pumping hot air at higher boost and RPM. If anything, short shift it at 5800 and you'll be fine.

We ran an odd sized Master Power, something like a 64mm with a HUGE hot side my my buddies 4.8 at 10 psi and it ran awesome! Even had to block off one side of the turbine scroll with a plate just to make it spool faster,

I'd give it a go before throwing in the towel.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:04 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by kbracing96
The turbine side of the turbo is big enough your not gonna choke it, It just will start pumping hot air at higher boost and RPM. If anything, short shift it at 5800 and you'll be fine.

We ran an odd sized Master Power, something like a 64mm with a HUGE hot side my my buddies 4.8 at 10 psi and it ran awesome! Even had to block off one side of the turbine scroll with a plate just to make it spool faster,

I'd give it a go before throwing in the towel.
Thanks for the info. This is basically the root of my question. So, the turbine flows plenty, but the compressor gets out of its efficiency pretty early?
Old 06-24-2013, 12:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by kelsey_canard
Thanks for the info. This is basically the root of my question. So, the turbine flows plenty, but the compressor gets out of its efficiency pretty early?
Yep, pretty much!

Quick Reply: Mismatched combo. Undersized turbo. Where to go next.