FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Mismatched combo. Undersized turbo. Where to go next.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 11:18 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Stock clutch fan?
That's costing you power. 20+

Don't worry too much nothing is perfect.
Even if it was it still won't be perfect everywhere.
Up top or down low. Never both.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TrickPerformanceProducts
Stock clutch fan?
That's costing you power. 20+

Don't worry too much nothing is perfect.
Even if it was it still won't be perfect everywhere.
Up top or down low. Never both.
Oh yes, I'm still running the stock clutch fan....FTMFW . I have this tendancy to over think things. Especially, when I've never done it before. Heck, ive never even ridden in a turbo ls. This is my first rodeo. Maybe I should just get the fuel system lined out, tune it, and Then go from there.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:27 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by kelsey_canard
Made an attempt at plotting my setup on a compressor map

Camshaft A (current cam):
Calculated at 6500rpms and 85% volumetric efficiency. Converted to lbs/min by multiplying by .0691, which should relate to 120 degrees F.

Camshaft B (stock cam):
Calculated at 5800rpms and 75% volumetric efficiency. Converted the same way as above.

I graphed at a 1.48 pressure ratio (7psi) and a 1.82 pressure ratio (12psi). First attempt at getting data from a compressor map, so feel free to check my math. Looks like the stock cam/lower shift points fall into the compressor efficiency much better. Dont really know what else to make of the data though.
I think you cam VE might be a little optimistic, I would think around 80%. I ran some numbers and at 12psi (pr=1.81):
3500rpm: 32.1 lb/min
6500rpm: 59.7 lb/min

I would probably want to run around 15psi (pr=~2)
3500rpm: 35.2 lb/min
6500rpm: 65.4 lb/min
And shift it around 6000rpm, which is about 60 lb/min.

I plotted what the turbo would be doing on the attached image. As you can see, its actually better to run more boost and shift sooner than a lower boost and shift later. With the higher boost, you will spend a greater portion of the time in the most efficient part of the compressor map.
Attached Thumbnails Mismatched combo.  Undersized turbo.  Where to go next.-plottededcompressormap_zpsd7fb7064.jpg  
Old 06-26-2013, 04:48 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Atomic
I think you cam VE might be a little optimistic, I would think around 80%. I ran some numbers and at 12psi (pr=1.81):
3500rpm: 32.1 lb/min
6500rpm: 59.7 lb/min

I would probably want to run around 15psi (pr=~2)
3500rpm: 35.2 lb/min
6500rpm: 65.4 lb/min
And shift it around 6000rpm, which is about 60 lb/min.

I plotted what the turbo would be doing on the attached image. As you can see, its actually better to run more boost and shift sooner than a lower boost and shift later. With the higher boost, you will spend a greater portion of the time in the most efficient part of the compressor map.
You are my hero atomic. That picture you attached, put things into much better perspective for me. I see how you plotted the graph through a RANGE of rpms. This makes much more sense to read the compressor map through a range of rpms, then just a few plots. I get now what you mean by moving horizontally aross the map as rpms increase.

It also makes sense how at a higher pressure ratio, I can stay in the most efficient part of the compressor map. I guess i just needed it plotted out in a RANGE of rpms to understand that better. Thanks for the help
Old 06-26-2013, 06:04 PM
I have a gauge for that

No problem :thumbup:

Its important to keep in mind this works for that map you posted...all turbos of the same size do NOT have the same compressor maps, or even close possibly. A quick rule of thumb is 1 lb/min of air will support 10rwhp, so 60lb/min is about 600rwhp which is close to the 650 number someone said before these turbos typically tap out at.

The hard part of turbo selection is really taken away from the consumer, and that is compressor-turbine matching. You see some really weird stuff when someone gets the bright idea to put say a 100mm compressor on a 80mm turbine. Turbo just sucks. Or the other way like Kyle said, but in that case is only bad for responsiveness and would actually be a very good race setup in a size limited class, but I digress.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:57 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Atomic
No problem :thumbup:

Its important to keep in mind this works for that map you posted...all turbos of the same size do NOT have the same compressor maps, or even close possibly. A quick rule of thumb is 1 lb/min of air will support 10rwhp, so 60lb/min is about 600rwhp which is close to the 650 number someone said before these turbos typically tap out at.

The hard part of turbo selection is really taken away from the consumer, and that is compressor-turbine matching. You see some really weird stuff when someone gets the bright idea to put say a 100mm compressor on a 80mm turbine. Turbo just sucks. Or the other way like Kyle said, but in that case is only bad for responsiveness and would actually be a very good race setup in a size limited class, but I digress.
You are a goldmine of information! So lets say my goal is 600hp or 60 lb/min for the time being. On the map I posted, I would achieve a better compressor efficiency doing it with a higher boost/lower shift points than with lower boost/higher shift points. I have officially been schooled on compressor maps. Thanks atomic

100mm compressor on an 80mm turbine Sounds like an on3. 76mm compressor on a 65mm turbine. Is there any benefit of having a small turbine on a big compressor? Kyles example sounds similar to my turbo.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:27 PM
I have a gauge for that

Eh, maybe if you want a high pressure ratio on a small displacement engine, like an import or something. But big engines need big turbines. The turbine wheel is the most expensive part of the turbo, and also the biggest factor when dealing with lag. Small turbine = cheaper = faster spool, but will also give a high backpressure pretty quickly with a lot of rpm....so you may find that combo on a diesel actually.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Diesels generally use big turbines and smaller compressors. Mainly Bc they need to flow a lot of exhaust and spool fast with high pressure ratios. I had an on3 76/64 on my setup and boost threshold was Damn near instant but it chocked past 5500 so I had I shifting at 5800. It ran 10.97 @125 on 14psi but it was pretty much done. No I have a cxracing 80/77 and it's a totally different monster. Boost threshold is a little higher but when it gets spooled it keeps pulling hard up top. Did the compressor size increase help? I'm sure it did but I feel the biggest reason for the power increase is the bigger turbine
Old 07-21-2013, 07:49 PM
TECH Resident

Figured I would do a little follow up. Got the whole fuel system done and upgraded to a 3 bar os. I currently feel the truck is a little lacking. I've only got the 4 pound spring in the gate. Map shows it boosting 4psi-6.2psi. Boost gauges bounces around 6psi or a hair higher.

I feel like I've got a few things setup very mild, and am wanting peoples opinion on where to "lean" on it first. Setup as follows:

Boost- 4psi. Reads 4psi-6.2psi

Timing - commanding around 16. Getting 12ish. Aggressive iat retard table. Will post below.

Shift points - 5500

Afr - commanding 10.8. Runs 10.6 - 10.8. Using boost enrichment. 12.5 AFR commanded for power enrichment.

Just wanting to know where everyone would go next. Ease out the timing, raise the boost, raise shifts, etc... This is my first turbo setup, and want to do it right. Here's a few pics of the logs and tune:

Name:  turbolog1_zpsfb3ef5ca.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  114.1 KB

Name:  turbolog2_zps237d4554.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  114.6 KB

Name:  turbolog3_zpsefd77377.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  192.7 KB
Old 07-21-2013, 08:14 PM
I have a gauge for that

I would lean it out a bit to .75-.78 lambda and relax that iat table; its unnecessarily aggressive.

Quick Reply: Mismatched combo. Undersized turbo. Where to go next.