FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Motor for MP122

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 07:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PS...incremental cost to go 383, 408 from 370 if ur doing forged internals is really just the cost of machining. Its close enuf to the same price except if u weren't planning on changing ur crank and or rods. Eagle and others sell complete kits. Spend the time talking with Joe at Left Coast and Richard @ WCCH. If I had it all to do over this is what I'd change:
1. my builder! I wuda just trucked it as far as needed to the best experience or done it self - cudn't have been worse! RIP: ICS Performance of Stamford, CT!
2. I'd have waited and let Mag do the R&D instead of me;
3. prob 9.7 or 10:1 compression;
4. I'd have either stayed all stock 6.0L or 408;
5. definately TURBO...nothing wrong with Maggies - I love them, I just wanna try something diff, and cubes will give me the torque out of the whole for the turbo.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:57 AM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For an mp112 blower, a 6.0L is the largest displacement motor that I'd run it on. Maybe a 370 or something, but not a 408. Sure it would work and would probably be up in torque, but the blower wouldn't be able to feed it into the higher rpms.

I think a 5.7L would be the sweet spot for the mp112. It should feed it well above 6000 rpms and power numbers would be better.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:14 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can actually purchase a set of 243 Heads from Richard at WCCH and up the compression with you current bottom end. The 243 heads have a smaller combustion chamber, a good set isnt that expensive to get ahold of.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by leftcoast32
You can actually purchase a set of 243 Heads from Richard at WCCH and up the compression with you current bottom end. The 243 heads have a smaller combustion chamber, a good set isnt that expensive to get ahold of.
Ya...already spoke with him about it. Its running now - and well - so I dont wanna fart with it for a while. 500/555 isn't bad - until I think about what I've spent! Its a work in progress...gonna work on handling now for a while and see if I can get it at least to the TBSS level. R/
Old 02-06-2009, 12:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by dhpro
...gonna work on handling now for a while and see if I can get it at least to the TBSS level. R/
FYI, my AV with Eibach rear springs, McGaughys spindles, Hotchkis sways and trailing arms, Kumho 305/50-20's with reinforced sidewalls, and 1 degree of negative camber in the front, would outhandle my TBSS any day of the week.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mr. Sandog
FYI, my AV with Eibach rear springs, McGaughys spindles, Hotchkis sways and trailing arms, Kumho 305/50-20's with reinforced sidewalls, and 1 degree of negative camber in the front, would outhandle my TBSS any day of the week.
All I've done is the sways, powerslots, lines and pads...2/4 drop, air bags ideally or spindles, arms, springs and adjust reservoir shocks along with proper brakes wud be my hopeful direction. Prob next winter's biz tho as I gotta rebuild my cash hoard!
Old 02-06-2009, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by leftcoast32
Approximately how much is "not the expensive"?? How much of a compression bump would I get? About how much HP would be gained with just a head swap?
Old 02-06-2009, 04:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by dhpro
All I've done is the sways, powerslots, lines and pads...2/4 drop, air bags ideally or spindles, arms, springs and adjust reservoir shocks along with proper brakes wud be my hopeful direction. Prob next winter's biz tho as I gotta rebuild my cash hoard!
Did lots of research before I pulled the trigger....spindles and lowering springs made a helluva difference. The Eibachs were 40% stiffer than stock, and together with the Hotchkis sways, made the AV handle like a sports car.
Old 02-06-2009, 06:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperchargedSS
what are the costs to build the 370 you are talking about Zippy? Just curious, there was good info there!
My guess would be around 2k for the short block. One of my friends did one like that with only around 9:1 compression and ran a Procharger on it. We had it to as high as 16psi, but that wasn't very belt friendly. At somewhere around 6psi or so it made 495RWHP through a 4L65E, 14 bolt rear, and 20" wheels on 91 octane.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:19 PM
9 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by old motorhead
Let's say you have an MP122 blower and you want to build a motor to go under it. It's a front drive. The motor under it now is in my signature. It's getting a little tired.

What would you replace it with? I'll upgrad with forged pistons and better rods. I'll leave the heads alone because I don't think there's much power to be had on a HP per $ basis by spending a bunch of money on the heads.

The setup in my sig is a 6.0L and makes 9.5psi with a 2.8" pulley. Can you spin the blower any faster without just making more heat? I'm guessing it's around 500rwhp as is. Would going with a 408 make any more power or would power be similar with just less boost? What about going down it cubic inches (5.3 or 5.7)? I know the bottom end power would be less, but would the motor be more effecient? Maybe a little more MPG and similar power due to more boost. What would you build and why?
I would run either a Iron block 346 with Mahle pistons ~10:1 CR and Scat I beam or LQ9/LS2 style rods, or a 6.0L set up the same way.

Quick Reply: Motor for MP122