FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

mp t70 Turbo help

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TrickPerformanceProducts
Check valves are used on low mount stuff. Hi mount the turbo is the highest point in the oil system it will drain back down the psi line. Hi mount sometimes use restrictors. 60psi with a -4 line is a huge amount of oil. Looks like your drain line is level at you frame and maybe slighlt higher just after the frame acting like a p trap. Might need to reroute and might need a small jet with that size feed line.
I'll try to make little more angle to see if it helps. if not i guess it time to get the turbo rebuilt or upgrade to -10 drain line.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:28 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

-4 is to large and is not need. No need fir -10 unless you are not going vertical with line or in very cold climates. Been using -8 drains with -3 feed lines and no problems.
We did need to run a restrictor on our t106 and had a dry sump pump pulling on the drain.

I agree with the hi milage time for an overhaul. Missed the milage thing and seeing how the problem just showed up.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm rocking a nitrous pill restrictor on my MP, no issues. It's spins better now with 5k miles on then it did new. I can shut the truck off and give the compressor a quick spin by hand and it will spin for around 10 seconds before stopping.

Sounds like 50k mile maybe the end of the road for your unit. I'd contact one of the retailers and see if MP can rebuild it and save you some money rather then buying a new one.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

So you saying every 50k i'm going to have the turbo rebuilt. I can get rebuilt here local for about $200. I was just hoping it didn't need to be rebuilt. I'm going to see if can get the drain line with more angle to see if that helps. If not i take to have it rebuilt.
Old 07-18-2010, 03:18 PM
5 year bitches!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

-4 is to large and is not need. No need fir -10 unless you are not going vertical with line or in very cold climates. Been using -8 drains with -3 feed lines and no problems.
We did need to run a restrictor on our t106 and had a dry sump pump pulling on the drain.

I agree with the hi milage time for an overhaul. Missed the milage thing and seeing how the problem just showed up.
its funny you mention that rick cause the manufacturers and distributors recommend -4 and -10. I know my pt88 came with -4 and -10 fittings, wolfe racecraft sells -4 and -10 for their turbonetics. Dr. Turbo recommends the following as well.

i seen precision 58s fail cause of a -3 feed and improper drain size. this was a on TT transam. id hate to see another turbo fail cause of lack of oil
Old 07-18-2010, 03:21 PM
5 year bitches!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 53RUSSELL
So you saying every 50k i'm going to have the turbo rebuilt. I can get rebuilt here local for about $200. I was just hoping it didn't need to be rebuilt. I'm going to see if can get the drain line with more angle to see if that helps. If not i take to have it rebuilt.
or you could invest into a better quailty turbo, or be happy with replacing your MP every so many years

MP work well but they are a budget product
Old 07-18-2010, 03:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Quik
or you could invest into a better quailty turbo, or be happy with replacing your MP every so many years

MP work well but they are a budget product
Well at this moment time it not in budget to spend a $1000 + on a better turbo. Truck just get new forgen ls1 and now truck needs go back exhaust shop because they give me enough room around the trans xmember. All i know is this new motor is fighting me.
Old 07-18-2010, 03:51 PM
Truck Sponsor

Hotrodding. Thousands of option opinions and headaches.

Slight leak no smoke in out the pipe?
Old 07-18-2010, 04:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hotrodding. Thousands of option opinions and headaches.

Slight leak no smoke in out the pipe?
Yea, there no smoke coming out the exhaust pipe. I have mirror looking at the the exhaust tips. Like said before i'll try to angle the drain line some more to see if that helps. If not i'll get rebuilt here localy and may be upgrade the drain line. All I know i've been running same size drain line. I have replace few times because it getting hot and cracked. Thanks for input Rick.
Old 07-18-2010, 04:44 PM
Truck Sponsor

No problem let me know if I can help in any way. Some times something looks bad and its just used...
Let me know what you find out.

Quick Reply: mp t70 Turbo help