FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

MPT-76 on an LQ9 with a small cam

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 04:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what kind of boost are you going to run after the trans build? what can a stock 10.1cr lq9 take safely? My buddy has a similar setup he's going to turbo boost.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:56 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 385 Likes on 259 Posts

What are you going to do to the bumper instead of that big hole?
Old 10-25-2010, 05:18 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 53RUSSELL
What the CR on the LQ9?
I think it's ~10:1.

Originally Posted by dlt76028
Does it feel a ton faster then n/a?
I guess, sort of, not sure... I wouldn't say a ton faster then N/A but it's definitely faster. I guess I am really jaded as to what faster is and being such a heavy vehicle another 125 rwhp just makes it move a bit quicker to me but not tons faster.

Originally Posted by tommyboy
what kind of boost are you going to run after the trans build? what can a stock 10.1cr lq9 take safely? My buddy has a similar setup he's going to turbo boost.
Probably just keep it around 7 psi for now, after I do a 4l80 I doubt I will go up much if any on pump gas. 91 octane is so volatile and this vehicle is so heavy I don't want to push it, I have other vehicles for that.

Originally Posted by Atomic
What are you going to do to the bumper instead of that big hole?
Not entirely sure yet. Ultimately I planned on putting a Silverado SS bumper on there since it's kinda open in that spot to begin with. I was looking for some sort of wire mesh to paint black and put in the hole to break it up a bit since I started cutting late at night and wasn't thinking clearly about how large that damn hole was going to be afterwards.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

This check valve is proven for boosted apps.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/ite...6844&catid=489

Me, my buddies and every single turbo ricer uses it. Its rated up to 150psi and will not crak due to heat.

I ordered 7 of them and ended up reselling all but 2 of them for dbl what I paid
Dont remember if I used 3/8 or 1/2. definatly bigger the better hoses and fittings for a PCV system on a boosted app.

I had mine 3 days after ordering..

If you want some forums that detail these valves and how to properly use them. PM me. Dunno if I can post up the "Other" sites here.
Altho I am shure you know this and dont need any info..

GL..
Old 10-26-2010, 11:09 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lookin forward to seeing your results.
...but damn it must have been reeeeal dark when you cut that hole out, haha!
Old 10-26-2010, 02:49 PM
9 Second Club

LOL trust me as soon as I started cutting I starting thinking it was going to be a little too big. Then when I punched it out and stepped back a bit I thought oh ****. Oh well, it was just a temporary thing to get airflow until I can pickup the SS bumper. I still plan on doing some sort of black mesh across it to break it up and not make it look so obscene much sooner than later.

Might throw it on the dyno today if I get time.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:31 PM
9 Second Club

Well I threw it on the dyno last night and I knew that the larger tires than before would have an impact in the numbers by a bit but didn't even think about how 2nd gear would not load it much either. My first pull I did in 2nd gear and it was over with in like 2 seconds and only made 4-5 psi since it was hardly loading it. The only meaningful information I got from that pull was that the peak power and torque was in the same RPM area as before when it was N/A and it was a nice balanced power curve in that the peak power and torque numbers were within 5 of each other.

I quickly realized that I had better do the runs in 3rd to get any meaningful data but unfortunately that also meant I had to deal with the bigger/heavier tire than before wrapping up on the dyno in the higher RPM range. On the next few pulls I ran it up in 3rd cringing as it crept up to 150 mph but it held steady with no bad vibrations. This time it held 5.5 psi pretty steadily and crept up to 6 psi at the end of the run where as on the street I usually see about 6-7 psi throughout. Again it's just a load issue but not a big deal since it's easily compensated for.

After all of that one thing became very apparent. In 2nd gear the peak power and torque numbers were within 5 of each other, in 3rd gear the peak power was down 35 rwhp. That's a decent amount of skew in 3rd with the tire wrap compared to the much slower speeds of 2nd gear.

Even on the dyno it was fully spooled by 2700 rpm and on the street it's making full boost at 2400 rpm rolling into it on the freeway in 4th. The slight dip at 3300 rpm in the graph is where the boost dropped a tiny bit as the wastegate was settling in. It doesn't do it on the street and I can only assume it has to do with the load on the dyno. 13 deg of timing at and below peak torque at full boost and ramping up to 15 so it's pretty conservative even with our shitty 91 octane out here. Intake air temps went up 21 degrees over the longer 3rd gear pull and dropped immediately afterward so my ghetto bumper mod is working well with the intercooler.

Old 10-27-2010, 12:38 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 204 Likes on 139 Posts

Makes for a decent DD though, I'm sure. Does it have the two piece driveshaft?
Old 10-27-2010, 12:43 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by smokeshow
Makes for a decent DD though, I'm sure. Does it have the two piece driveshaft?
Yeah, it definitely moves pretty decent for a tank and surprises people. It does have the two piece driveshaft.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:23 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 204 Likes on 139 Posts

When mine was compounding during the boost transition, it wasn't enough load to spike it to what it was at on the street. I have since gotten rid of that spike, by the way

Is it just not a loading dyno at all?

Quick Reply: MPT-76 on an LQ9 with a small cam