FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

my build...

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 10:12 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default my build...

well... it looks like in the next few months or so I'm going to be venturing into the dark world of forced induction ...

I need to know how to do this transformation correctly and efficiently.

My setup now consisits of the following:

5.3L:
stock 706 heads
stock injectors
truck intake
hodge podge CAI
224/227 .576/.588 113+3 cam
new 918 springs
P&P Throttle body
160 T stat

exhaust:
pacesetter longtubes
dual flowtech manual cutouts
pace ORY
3" pipe
18" resonator
IMCO muffler
dumped right in front of axle

Trans:
FLT lvl5 4L65E
Yank SS3600 converter
Vacuum modulated
billet this, billet that... LOL...

Rear:
stock housing
4.10's
POS slipping diff

-I have been looking very seriosuly into the Trick Low mount intercooled kit. I know there's alot with my setup I need to change.

I was thinking:

Trick low mount kit
custom spec turbo cam
ported 317's
ported 6L manifolds
3000-3200 converter
freshen up trans
injectors/pump(s)
3.42/3.73 gears (undecided)

what do you think?? what would you do different??

Last edited by silver-mod-o; 04-24-2008 at 10:45 AM.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whats wrong with the 4.10's? Also, why are you wanting a smaller stall converter? Most people that buy a 3000-3200 stall wish they went with a 3600-3800. You can probably build more boost off the line with the one you already have.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like a good plan if you want a TT3000 i know someone in houston that wants a 3600
Old 04-24-2008, 11:00 AM
FormerVendor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
well... it looks like in the next few months or so I'm going to be venturing into the dark world of forced induction ...

5.3L:
stock 706 heads
stock injectors
truck intake
hodge podge CAI
224/227 .576/.588 113+3 cam
new 918 springs
P&P Throttle body
160 T stat

exhaust:
pacesetter longtubes
dual flowtech manual cutouts
pace ORY
3" pipe
18" resonator
IMCO muffler

Trans:
FLT lvl5 4L65E
Yank SS3600 converter
Vacuum modulated

Rear:
stock housing
4.10's
POS slipping diff

-I have been looking very seriosuly into the Trick Low mount intercooled kit. I know there's alot with my setup I need to change.

I was thinking:

Trick low mount kit
custom spec turbo cam
ported 317's
ported 6L manifolds
3000-3200 converter
freshen up trans
injectors/pump(s)

With your setup i would sell the tranny and stall and go 80e.
2800-3200 stall max!
Go with 3.73 gears
Upgrade fuel system (twin walbros will do)
Get some 60lb injectors
Forge the motor, i would build a 383 stroker like CurtD
Good heads!
go ahead and get a METH kit
2 bar map sensor

How much power do you want?
Old 04-24-2008, 11:25 AM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Trick low mount kit
custom spec turbo cam
ported 317's
ported 6L manifolds
3000-3200 converter
freshen up trans
injectors/pump(s)
I would go 3.73 for all around versatility and maybe even tighter on the converter. Because Turbo systems can be upgraded easily and you know you will, the 4L80 is a good suggestion.
You can get away with 43lb injectors and a lot of meth or go 60's and be a little less dependant.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:42 AM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

You do not have to go big anything to start your jurney to the power side.
see below.

5.3L:
stock 706 heads
stock injectors = change to at least 42lb then to 60lbs. depending on power level.
truck intake = fine no need to change
hodge podge CAI = sell this
224/227 .576/.588 113+3 cam = not sure but I would leave it for now.
new 918 springs = ok
P&P Throttle body = ok
160 T stat = ok

exhaust:
pacesetter longtubes = sell
dual flowtech manual cutouts = sell or install back into new exhaust
pace ORY
3" pipe
18" resonator
IMCO muffler
Most of your exhust may be able to be reused on the new set up. We could put a cut out, in your downpipe area.

Trans:
FLT lvl5 4L65E = call FLT I think you will ok depending on final HP.
Yank SS3600 converter = leave for now truck will launch pretty extreme.
Vacuum modulated

Really call Vince and get his input, they will know their trannys better then me.

Rear:
stock housing = ok
4.10's = going to be real interesting, be ready to start buying some new tires.
POS slipping diff = get this one fixed for sure, the added power will make it get worse and worse.

-I have been looking very seriosuly into the Trick Low mount intercooled kit. I know there's alot with my setup I need to change. = perfect choice low or HI..Mostly your headers will have to go.

I was thinking:

Trick low mount kit =
custom spec turbo cam try the other one first.
ported 317's
ported 6L manifolds = stock ones work really well
3000-3200 converter you already have a convertor let it ride.
freshen up trans Oh yea.
injectors/pump(s) Yes on injectors, pump a 255 would be nice.
3.42/3.73 gears (undecided) Try the 4:10s but you will probably change them out. 4.10s would be some tire smoke ***** with a turbo...lol

You will also need a wideband with gauge to keep an eye on your tune, and a boost gauge to confirm what psi you are running. We have FJO gauges and widebands we can supply you.

As you can tell, I am not a fan on changing stuff until I know how that truck will react to the set up. You can always change items out as you go along and funds allow. Porting the stock manifolds, really will not change your performance.
Heads would but I am not up to par. on which head does what, I like the stock stuff for most applications.

Let me know if there is anything I can help you with.

Rick
Old 04-24-2008, 12:24 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

all very good suggestions Rick. This motor has already seen nitrous for a while but its definitely not hurt. I am just worried about losing boost with this cam... I like researching custom cams and seeing how they react to different combos. Which turbo comes with this kit??? what options do you have? I know it will be somewhat limited due to space constraints.

I'm not looking to run 10's. I know its possible but not feasable for me (for a while yet) I do want solid low-mid 400's hp and tq levels though... I know thats absolutely possible using this kit and the right accessories. I was considering selling the entire exhaust system from the heads back as a package type deal.... and starting from scratch from the turbo back. I was considering a 3.5" DP with single e-cutout, into a 4" race Magnaflow and exit that single pipe in front of the rear wheel. I'm honestly sick of all the drone... it sounds good, I get compliments and all, but driving it is getting annoying to say the least. This exhaust will exit the truck, somewhere... plus, it would make someone a hell of a deal for a complete stock to full exhaust swap.

the reason I was looking at the converter swap is because I dont really want to be seeing much boost driving around town on any given day. I'd like to keep it tighter and honestly, a little more stock feeling... my 3600 is in no way, undrivable, I enjoy it. But I'm looking to be able to drive it easy and when I want to, load the turbo well. Also the reason for the possible 3.42 gear choice.

about the heads, I know they are made for a 4" bore, but they would lower my compression considerably, making higher boost levels a little safer... plus they flow damn near as good as any stock GEN III head out there.

Last edited by silver-mod-o; 04-24-2008 at 01:07 PM.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Sounds like a cool build Ben. Looks like Rick has the perfect recipe for ya
Old 04-24-2008, 01:33 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

all very good suggestions Rick. This motor has already seen nitrous for a while but its definitely not hurt. I am just worried about losing boost with this cam... I like researching custom cams and seeing how they react to different combos. Which turbo comes with this kit??? what options do you have? I know it will be somewhat limited due to space constraints.

I'm not looking to run 10's. I know its possible but not feasable for me (for a while yet) I do want solid low-mid 400's hp and tq levels though... I know thats absolutely possible using this kit and the right accessories. I was considering selling the entire exhaust system from the heads back as a package type deal.... and starting from scratch from the turbo back. I was considering a 3.5" DP with single e-cutout, into a 4" race Magnaflow and exit that single pipe in front of the rear wheel. I'm honestly sick of all the drone... it sounds good, I get compliments and all, but driving it is getting annoying to say the least. This exhaust will exit the truck, somewhere... plus, it would make someone a hell of a deal for a complete stock to full exhaust swap.

the reason I was looking at the converter swap is because I dont really want to be seeing much boost driving around town on any given day. I'd like to keep it tighter and honestly, a little more stock feeling... my 3600 is in no way, undrivable, I enjoy it. But I'm looking to be able to drive it easy and when I want to, load the turbo well. Also the reason for the possible 3.42 gear choice.

about the heads, I know they are made for a 4" bore, but they would lower my compression considerably, making higher boost levels a little safer... plus they flow damn near as good as any stock GEN III head out there.
Gotcha on the stall, so you need the truck to be a truck, some pulling etc.
Install around a 2600 or so stall and call it a day.
I think mid 400's is really resonable, but you could push it up to the 500 mark when you are ready.
The low mount kit is rated at 500hp MAX. And you will need to push around 12-13psi on a 5.3 to get it.
3.5DP no problem it does not add much to the low mount kit and adding a cut out, just say the word.
Other things to concider during your refresh. run synethic oils everywhere, engine,tranny, and fresh rearend as well. This will cost a little but frees up wasted HP.
I would also recommend electic fans, its worth 20+ hp over the stocker..
As far as upgrades, Turbos I have here will work. 66mm is a nice upgrade. But you then need to up the IC to the next size to work with the future added flow...
Other upgrades is the fresh air intake system. This keeps your airfilter off the ground and out of the water.
Coating your stock exhaust manifolds will help with heat and just looks cleaner.
Just drop a line any time, more then happy to help get you a set up that will not only work for you, but will fit your future needs as well.

later
Old 04-24-2008, 01:45 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wifes truck. 05 5.3 with 216 Cam,trick kit at 7lbs,4.11 gears,60lb injectors,stock converter.No need for a converter with the Trick kit.On the stock verter my truck full spools by 1800rpm from a stop.
Attached Thumbnails my build...-dsc03103.jpg  

Last edited by trever1t; 04-24-2008 at 02:23 PM.

Quick Reply: my build...