FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

My Explorer is having twins......(turbos that is)

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 07:08 PM
TOTM: November '07

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Explorer is having twins......(turbos that is)

Well, I ordered two turbos for the Explorer on Monday. I told myself if the truck doesnt sell, I would upgrade it- so here we go...

The turbos are some new takeoff John Deere Borg Warner S200's. I will be changing form a rear mount to more of a mid-mount setup. These changes will allow me to fix some of the annoyances I had with my single remote setup. For one, my current setup is where my spare tire is supposed to go. The new setup will be moved forward a little, so the tire can go back where it should be (and not stinking up my interior). I then will be able to back my jet skis into the lake without being scared a big wave will flood my air filter. Also, I will be building an air box of sorts to deflect water from the filter- so I can get rid of this stupid restrictive Outerwears cover. Since my current intercooler is in the rear, that will have to be moved also. I will be installing an A/W intercooler to replace it.

The turbos will now be located right below the passenger's side rear door. I will be building a bracket to hold both turbos that will bolt to the frame. So, of course, I will have to add a flexible section to the hot pipe. I am thinking I will take my current dual 2.25" exhaust and Y them into a single 3" pipe, then resplit them at the turbos. It may be a better idea to leave it true duals- I am not sure. This is something I will have to research. The turbos have a 4"(I believe) Vband on them, so I will probably just have twin 4" turndowns. I would love to run a single 4" or 5" exhaust, but there just isnt enough room for it.

More to come as soon as parts start coming in.....

Last edited by explorer5.0; 06-25-2008 at 07:16 PM.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:02 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Congrad on going to the twins. good luck with the project.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

sounds interesting post up som pic when you start building.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:02 PM

Will my STS pump be able to handle the oil of two turbos? There will be an oil restrictor on both.

Anyone have any reasons why I should or shouldnt keep true duals to the turbos?
Old 06-26-2008, 08:11 PM

Turbos came in today- I'm getting excited. I found some steel at work today to make the mounting bracket out of. Now I need to order some T4 flanges that are tapped; the way I plan to make the bracket I wont be able to get to the back to use a nut on the flange. I also found some 4" stainless diesel turndown tips that will probably be my turndowns.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:56 PM
Truck Sponsor

? for you . Mounting the turbos to the frame even with a flex joint may still put something in a stress mode. Anyway to hang off the tranny etc, something that is apart of the engine set up. just a thought looking forward to seeing the combo.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by TrickPerformanceProducts
? for you . Mounting the turbos to the frame even with a flex joint may still put something in a stress mode. Anyway to hang off the tranny etc, something that is apart of the engine set up. just a thought looking forward to seeing the combo.
There isn't really a place to mount them to the tranny or anything. I was actually planning on putting some rubber isolators behind the mounting plate for the turbos along with the flex pipe.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:16 AM
Truck Sponsor

Originally Posted by explorer5.0
There isn't really a place to mount them to the tranny or anything. I was actually planning on putting some rubber isolators behind the mounting plate for the turbos along with the flex pipe.
good idea, good luck, waiting on pics.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:12 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by explorer5.0
Will my STS pump be able to handle the oil of two turbos? There will be an oil restrictor on both.

Anyone have any reasons why I should or shouldnt keep true duals to the turbos?
From the view point of heat retention and flow restrictions you'd be better off with sticking to one pipe rather than true duals. If you keep them true duals the surface area exposed for heat loss even if wrapped is much much greater. As is the flow restriction, which will need to be overcome with that much piping.
STS has an upgrade for their pump that you might want to look into. It's just a bigger pump meant for bigger turbo applications. They can probably tell you the flow paramaters and tell you if it will flow enough for two turbo's!

Best of luck, sounds exciting!
Old 06-27-2008, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Spoolin
From the view point of heat retention and flow restrictions you'd be better off with sticking to one pipe rather than true duals. If you keep them true duals the surface area exposed for heat loss even if wrapped is much much greater. As is the flow restriction, which will need to be overcome with that much piping.
STS has an upgrade for their pump that you might want to look into. It's just a bigger pump meant for bigger turbo applications. They can probably tell you the flow paramaters and tell you if it will flow enough for two turbo's!

Best of luck, sounds exciting!
The length of duals vs. single in question will only be about 2.5' long if it matters. I was mainly looking at it from a balance point of view.

I couldn't find my camera, but snapped a picture with my phone. They are painted John Deere engine tan...

Quick Reply: My Explorer is having twins......(turbos that is)