Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 04:29 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Of course! We all can....
Old 06-06-2010, 02:39 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a little FYI on the plastic water bottle thing, yes the ice will last a little longer in the bottle, but the surface area for heat transfer will be far less than with Ice. With that the temp of the coolant will be higher and will not cool back down as fast. So no matter what your delta H_rxn over time will be =.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by marlboroman71818
Just a little FYI on the plastic water bottle thing, yes the ice will last a little longer in the bottle, but the surface area for heat transfer will be far less than with Ice. With that the temp of the coolant will be higher and will not cool back down as fast. So no matter what your delta H_rxn over time will be =.
Layman's terms, son. Is that some heat transfer formula?
Old 06-06-2010, 03:41 PM
12 Second Truck Club

the heat transfer of the reaction will be the same over any given period of time. so no matter what 5lbs of Ice is going to cool the same amount of water the same. It just depends on how cold you want the water to get and how fast you want it to get there. The more surface area contact the coolant and Ice have the faster the heat will transfer. That means the it will get colder, faster with smaller ice.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:51 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Since the IAT's climb higher & higher as the truck moves down the track, the theory is that the ice is most important to have at the big end of the track. If all of the cubed ice has melted by say, half-track, then you don't have any ice for the rest of the run. So if the frozen water bottles allow the ice to stay frozen til the end of the 1/4, then it's possible that the IAT's will be lower at the end of the 1/4. I will probably try a few different combo's of ice(after my transmission gets reinstalled.......)

This frozen water bottle idea was given to me by a local Lightning racer, and it was something that I had never thought of. He says it works well for him. So I thought I'd share the idea. I really don't know if it will work, or help. But I will try it and find out. Maybe others will also, or maybe others already have, I dunno. I was hoping that others would post up their ideas & experiences in this area.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:27 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
Since the IAT's climb higher & higher as the truck moves down the track, the theory is that the ice is most important to have at the big end of the track. If all of the cubed ice has melted by say, half-track, then you don't have any ice for the rest of the run. So if the frozen water bottles allow the ice to stay frozen til the end of the 1/4, then it's possible that the IAT's will be lower at the end of the 1/4. I will probably try a few different combo's of ice(after my transmission gets reinstalled.......)

This frozen water bottle idea was given to me by a local Lightning racer, and it was something that I had never thought of. He says it works well for him. So I thought I'd share the idea. I really don't know if it will work, or help. But I will try it and find out. Maybe others will also, or maybe others already have, I dunno. I was hoping that others would post up their ideas & experiences in this area.
Im not trying to mock his idea or anything, I am just saying in theory that the surface area for heat transfer will reduce so much that even at the end of the 1/4 there will no longer be any coolant to ice contact and that the only thing the coolant would contact would be the plastic bottle leaving little room for heat transfer. Why not drop some dry ice in water and see what results you may get with that?
Old 06-06-2010, 08:24 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice lookin tank. Like the water bottle idea.

Every little bit helps.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:33 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by marlboroman71818
Im not trying to mock his idea or anything, I am just saying in theory that the surface area for heat transfer will reduce so much that even at the end of the 1/4 there will no longer be any coolant to ice contact and that the only thing the coolant would contact would be the plastic bottle leaving little room for heat transfer. Why not drop some dry ice in water and see what results you may get with that?
unless you have your tank vented, dry ice+ water = boom

This is something I do for entertainment fill a gatorade bottle with about 3 inches of water, cram a few chunks of dry ice in there, screw on the cap and THROW IT FAST AND FAR!
Old 06-07-2010, 03:35 AM
TECH Regular

and AKLOWRIDER, where is there to race up in AK? Just curious. I fish out of dutch as well as the gulf, might hit up a local track for some spectating next time I get stuck on the mainland this summer.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:11 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Originally Posted by dimetweaker
and AKLOWRIDER, where is there to race up in AK? Just curious. I fish out of dutch as well as the gulf, might hit up a local track for some spectating next time I get stuck on the mainland this summer.
http://www.alaskaracewaypark.com/ The track is on the Old Glenn Hwy, about an hour north of Anchorage.

Quick Reply: my intercooler tank **with dimensions**