TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

awesome, thanks for the link
Old 06-07-2010, 01:49 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by dimetweaker
unless you have your tank vented, dry ice+ water = boom

This is something I do for entertainment fill a gatorade bottle with about 3 inches of water, cram a few chunks of dry ice in there, screw on the cap and THROW IT FAST AND FAR!

if the water bottles dont work at least you will have a contingency plan for them when you get the dry ice lol
Old 06-07-2010, 04:12 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

The problem with putting ice in or even ice in bottles from what I gather is it just melts too fast. If you put it in before lining up at the track it will be completely melted by the time you are on the starting line.

....anyone ever done a giant peltier type cooling?
Old 06-07-2010, 05:20 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Atomic
The problem with putting ice in or even ice in bottles from what I gather is it just melts too fast. If you put it in before lining up at the track it will be completely melted by the time you are on the starting line.

....anyone ever done a giant peltier type cooling?
really? you want the ice to melt so that it is transfering heat, but I would think with a dedicated air to water cooler that all of the ice would not be melted if you push it to the line and add right before the run.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:28 PM
I have a gauge for that

Pat (evilgmc) tried that frozen water bottle thing when he went to the track last weekend and he said it was all melted in 3 minutes. Heat transfer is related to the temperature differential between the two things, in this case the ice and the coolant. The colder the stuff you put into the coolant the faster it melts. Its a differential equation depending mainly on the temperatures of the two substances, the thermal conductivity between them, and their specific heats to define what the temp is....which is way more math than I want to do right now
Old 06-07-2010, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

yes...i tried 3 8oz water bottles. did not last more than a couple minutes...3 gallons of hot fluid vs 24oz of ice...ice did not stand a chance. plus it was a pain in the *** fishing them back out of the tank....if i did try it again, i would tie a string to each bottle.

maybe a NOS spray bar for the HX would be a good investment.

cant wait to get the methanol all set up...not going to lower temps, just will allow more timing.....with it, i think i would have hit 11s even with the **** weather and a ton a crap in the bed of my truck.

Last edited by EVILGMC; 06-07-2010 at 09:56 PM.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:50 PM
I have a gauge for that

throw in a nitrouts nozzle, ya know, just in case....
Old 06-07-2010, 11:08 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Pat, how long did you let the engine cool down between runs? I'm just curious. I won't be able to try any of this new stuff out for a couple of weeks, so I'm stuck bench racing.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:45 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Pat (evilgmc) tried that frozen water bottle thing when he went to the track last weekend and he said it was all melted in 3 minutes. Heat transfer is related to the temperature differential between the two things, in this case the ice and the coolant. The colder the stuff you put into the coolant the faster it melts. Its a differential equation depending mainly on the temperatures of the two substances, the thermal conductivity between them, and their specific heats to define what the temp is....which is way more math than I want to do right now
actually you have latent heat and sensible heat, latent heat is not measurable by the temperature scale and sensible heat is. you are correct that that the larger the delta T the faster heat transfer but that does not mean that the ice will melt faster the colder it is. You have already touched on other variables so I wont go into them again. But the latent heat can carry alot of BTU's increasing the length of time before reaching the latent heat of fusion
Old 06-08-2010, 03:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by marlboroman71818
the heat transfer of the reaction will be the same over any given period of time. so no matter what 5lbs of Ice is going to cool the same amount of water the same. It just depends on how cold you want the water to get and how fast you want it to get there. The more surface area contact the coolant and Ice have the faster the heat will transfer. That means the it will get colder, faster with smaller ice.
So, get a dead blow hammer & whack the **** outta a bag of ice, til it's into tiny pieces?

Originally Posted by dimetweaker
unless you have your tank vented, dry ice+ water = boom

This is something I do for entertainment fill a gatorade bottle with about 3 inches of water, cram a few chunks of dry ice in there, screw on the cap and THROW IT FAST AND FAR!
Got any vids? Why does this occur? I haven't had chemistry or physics, so keep it simple.

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
Since the IAT's climb higher & higher as the truck moves down the track, the theory is that the ice is most important to have at the big end of the track. If all of the cubed ice has melted by say, half-track, then you don't have any ice for the rest of the run. So if the frozen water bottles allow the ice to stay frozen til the end of the 1/4, then it's possible that the IAT's will be lower at the end of the 1/4. I will probably try a few different combo's of ice...
I was hoping that others would post up their ideas & experiences in this area.
The problem with putting ice in or even ice in bottles from what I gather is it just melts too fast. If you put it in before lining up at the track it will be completely melted by the time you are on the starting line. ...

Couldn't ya just get the coolant cooler, or try to, how IDK. Or get the temp. betw. the 2 as close as possible.

Originally Posted by EVILGMC
yes...i tried 3 8oz water bottles. did not last more than a couple minutes...3 gallons of hot fluid vs 24oz of ice...ice did not stand a chance. plus it was a pain in the *** fishing them back out of the tank....if i did try it again, i would tie a string to each bottle.

maybe a NOS spray bar for the HX would be a good investment.

cant wait to get the methanol all set up...not going to lower temps, just will allow more timing.....with it, i think i would have hit 11s even with the **** weather and a ton a crap in the bed of my truck.
Pat, I was wondering when someone was gonna say that. I figured w/. bigger bottles, them floating outta hand's reach would be less of a problem.

I'm exploring options before I've even put my Radix on.
I've been reading the many threads on this as I can too.

I wondered if it was worth it for a mostly DD truck that'll see track maybe 1x a month. Maybe twice, here or there.

I didn't know if a bigger HX or a bigger reservoir would be the better solution.
Sounds like a bigger (or better if u like that word) HX is preferred. I got a price on a bigger HX.

Last edited by fastnblu; 06-08-2010 at 03:44 PM.

Quick Reply: my intercooler tank **with dimensions**