FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

my intercooler tank **with dimensions**

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 12:39 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs up my intercooler tank **with dimensions**

Well, my IAT's on the street have always been acceptable, but at the track I have had very high IAT's. So I have been looking to upgrade my intercooler tank for a while. There are a few decent options out there already, but prices seem to be a little high, and adding shipping to Alaska just makes it all cost more than I wanted to spend. So I busted out a tape measure and sketched this up. Gave the sketches to a local fabricator/boat-builder who I've known for a while, and he built it for me.

Drill the mounting tabs after it's built and you fit it to the truck. I cut the flange off the firewall that the fender-to-firewall bracket used to bolt to.

Next, I plan to upgrade the heat exhanger.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks SWEEEEET!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-04-2010, 12:44 PM
Staging Lane

That looks great. Good work.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

that setup looks great bro, so do the welds. Ive been thinking about making my own tank cause the one that came with my R TVS1900 is real small and i think a bigger tank with more room for fluid will help keep temps down too. Im also looking for a better heat exchanger..lol...
Old 06-04-2010, 01:18 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Here's a tip that I got from a local Lightning racer. Take a bunch of frozen water bottles to the track. Put 3 or 4 of them in the intercooler tank(running water+water wetter) before each pass. He says that his IC temps stay lower for longer than just ice cubes in the tank. He says the ice cubes melt too fast. I'm gonna try it.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:28 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

nice!

why didnt you just use the secondary battery tray and those mounting holes? would save you from having to drill the firewall.

I have a similiar tank and was thinking about using ice cubs, but frozen water bottles sounds like a good idea.....how about some dry ice?
Old 06-04-2010, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

you may have problems with that boat port hole leaking.....i did on my first tank.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:36 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Originally Posted by Atomic
nice!

why didnt you just use the secondary battery tray and those mounting holes? would save you from having to drill the firewall.
I contacted the guy who built your tank. His prices were pretty good actually. Since my truck didn't have a battery tray in it, I would've had to buy one, adding to the cost. Also, this way, I was able to get the tank a little bit bigger. I didn't mind drilling into the firewall, it's just a wiper cowl back there anyway.

Unfortunately, I won't have results on any improvements from this mod for a while. (see my other new thread in Drivetrain section)
Old 06-04-2010, 01:39 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Originally Posted by EVILGMC
you may have problems with that boat port hole leaking.....i did on my first tank.
This one is o-ringed. I'm not sure if they all are. This is the type of cap that most tanks I see around are using. The fluid level should be about an inch lower than the cap. I suppose if it does leak, I can upgrade it to a fuel cell style cap.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
Well, my IAT's on the street have always been acceptable, but at the track I have had very high IAT's. So I have been looking to upgrade my intercooler tank for a while. There are a few decent options out there already, but prices seem to be a little high, and adding shipping to Alaska just makes it all cost more than I wanted to spend. So I busted out a tape measure and sketched this up. Gave the sketches to a local fabricator/boat-builder who I've known for a while, and he built it for me.

Drill the mounting tabs after it's built and you fit it to the truck. I cut the flange off the firewall that the fender-to-firewall bracket used to bolt to.

Next, I plan to upgrade the heat exhanger.

Uh oh! Somebody's starting to get serious. So, how much for an upgraded HX? Gonna run a factory syle from another kit or custom HX?

Originally Posted by 01 BERGER CAMARO SS
that setup looks great bro, so do the welds. Ive been thinking about making my own tank...Im also looking for a better heat exchanger..lol...
I agree that does look great! Those welds look spectacular.

Here's a tip that I got from a local Lightning racer. Take a bunch of frozen water bottles to the track. Put 3 or 4 of them in the intercooler tank(running water+water wetter) before each pass. He says that his IC temps stay lower for longer than just ice cubes in the tank. He says the ice cubes melt too fast.
W/. a 4" hole, you're just puttin whole Gatorade bottles in there then? Cause I'd think they'd be pretty close to 4" at the base.

I contacted the guy who built your tank. His prices were pretty good actually. Since my truck didn't have a battery tray in it, I would've had to buy one, adding to the cost. Also, this way, I was able to get the tank a little bit bigger. I didn't mind drilling into the firewall, it's just a wiper cowl back there anyway. ...
Way to think outside of the box.

This one is o-ringed. I'm not sure if they all are. This is the type of cap that most tanks I see around are using. The fluid level should be about an inch lower than the cap. I suppose if it does leak, I can upgrade it to a fuel cell style cap.
I've seen the 1" lower than cap before comment. Is that to compensate for expansion, Roger? If for some reason this 1 leaks, will a fuel cell style cap be a direct fit or do ya gotta break out welder,...again?

Quick Reply: my intercooler tank **with dimensions**