FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

My New CAI for RADIX, may be the best

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 11:38 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

WOW! That's a mean looking set up. If your ever behind me I'll kindly pull over out of respect. Nice job, looks freaking sweet!
Old 02-09-2007, 09:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Their ram air hood for the Chevy trucks looks like crap! The GMC guys get a great looking hood to choose from.

Jim
Old 02-09-2007, 09:52 AM
Teching In

Suncoast creations is about 25 minutes drive from me here in florida... I myself had to have one of those hoods... Mine fit without any extra work , did yours? heres a link to mine on my 2006 2500HD http://chevytruckworld.tenmagazines....y.ten?id=11112
Old 02-09-2007, 10:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LBSBLOWN
I'm not shure yet I will have to do some more data loggin but it appears to have givin me .5 to .7 psi more boost on the top end (100mph +) and the Blower sounds louder and deeper than before.
Not to rain on your parade (the hood looks fantastic), but doesn't more boost mean less flow?
Old 02-09-2007, 11:39 AM
TOTM: January 2007

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TBSS
Not to rain on your parade (the hood looks fantastic), but doesn't more boost mean less flow?
More boost before the compressor/supercharger is a good thing. Means you are putting more air into the supercharger. It is when boost increases for reasons after the blower like restrictive exhaust. That will raise boost and decrease overall flow.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by j's01silverado
More boost before the compressor/supercharger is a good thing. Means you are putting more air into the supercharger. It is when boost increases for reasons after the blower like restrictive exhaust. That will raise boost and decrease overall flow.
Not sure that is what is happening. AFAIK, boost is a measure of flow and restriction of flow....and boost is measured in the same place regardless.

If the original poster is experiencing 'increased boost' above 100 mph, to me, that translates into increased restriction at that point.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Not sure that is what is happening. AFAIK, boost is a measure of flow and restriction of flow....and boost is measured in the same place regardless.

If the original poster is experiencing 'increased boost' above 100 mph, to me, that translates into increased restriction at that point.
The way I'm thinking is that the ram air is creating a small head pressure in the air box and causing the blower to be more efficient due to it not having to suck in the air as much as before, same principle as reducing the inlet restriction by upgrading to the 90mm TB over the 78mm TB.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RunDotComK
Suncoast creations is about 25 minutes drive from me here in florida... I myself had to have one of those hoods... Mine fit without any extra work , did yours? heres a link to mine on my 2006 2500HD http://chevytruckworld.tenmagazines....y.ten?id=11112
Yes mine too, it needed just some slight trimming at the back edge.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:26 PM
TOTM: January 2007

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Boost is a measurement of restriction, not flow. Boost is not always boost. The only time more boost means less flow is if you hold the speed of the blower constant and restrict the exhaust flow which will raise boost and lower overall flow. I can see a very restrictive intake system doing something similar.

Yes, there is an increase in boost at the inlet point, probably the TB or j-tube from more air being squeezed into the same sized opening. The bottom line is that there is more air being forced into the supercharger and engine which will translate into more flow. If boost increases on pre-compressor side, it will always equal more flow because you are forcing more air into charger and into the engine. Also, you are making the setup more effecient because air is being forced in rather than pulled in by the supercharger. If you can increase boost effeciently, meaning cool air, then you can always make more power.

The turbo guys run up to 15 psi and generate more and more power even though boost is a meaurement of resistance. It just means there is more air pressure awaiting to go into the engine. More pressure awaiting to go into the combustion chambers will always translate into more power and more flow, IF the air is cool and the boost is made effeciently.

If boost increases because of a restrictive exhaust system on intake tract, then the supercharger is having to work harder to pull the air in generating heat as well. There will be more boost, but it will be less flow.

When I installed my Maggie, Magnuson had to install a 3.6 pulley on my 5.3 becuase all the crush bends on my 2.25" exhaust was causing a huge restriction. I fixed my exhaust and boost went from 7psi to 5.5. I then installed the correct 3.4 pulley, and had 6.5 psi.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:56 PM
24v
11 Second Club

Love your CAI. Here is mine for my 122 GTO.

Quick Reply: My New CAI for RADIX, may be the best