FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

My "Turbo for Mileage" Project

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 11:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LSRacing
and run just a little richer AFR to compensate.
I promise, I am not trying to pick apart your post. I am trying to learn as much as I can as well, but isn't this kind of contradictory? Do you mean moderate as in steep hills, and towing? Or highway driving? Because unless you get the truck to burn LESS fuel, it's not going to get better mileage.

Again, I am not trying to be negative at all, just trying to learn. Sometimes it's hard to judge tone in typed words lol.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:39 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by LSRacing
Big RED. to answer your question/statement. The Idea is to tune it with EFILive and control the PE % depending on knock, load etc.. Ill prob have to go SD with the 2 bar Virtual VE table that is stock in the E38 pcm. 3 psi should be able to be reached by 1500-1800 rpm or so WOT. Im guessing I could be around 1 psi at part throttle under moderate load and run just a little richer AFR to compensate. We will be tuning on an All Wheel Load Bearing Dyno to acheive the results we are looking for.
No you wont, you wont max out the stock maf on a 5.3 until around 9lbs of boost; well below your target.

Interested to see how this turns out...
Old 02-22-2011, 12:37 AM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm in for the PROGRESS!!!
Old 02-22-2011, 10:02 AM
Staging Lane

What I mean is moderate driving at highway speeds and around town. I do not do any towing. No offense taken. I love all the interest in this thread. I'm very open to this idea and if it will work or not. Ill give very accurate info not swayed in either direction as I'm interested in the results also. Ill yet and stay with the maf at first as long as I can control the fueling to my liking.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you really want better mpg, dump the 5.3 and replace with a 4.8. Bump the c/r up to 10.5+ and have lots of meth ready maybe even before positive boost pressure. Need a bigger meth tank. That might give you a nice bump in fuel eco.....probably not 50% though.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm I think it might be possible but we will wait and see. If your just trying to get better highway mileage couldnt you do that will taller tires or different rear gears. My regal has 2.93's and i can get almost 30mpg's on the highway. If i went to 3.29's my mileage would drop on the highway.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:52 PM
Staging Lane

Mileage is the goal but with a turbo you are also gonna pick up part throttle power and torque which will make the truck even more fun to drive. Besides. The idea was to see if a turbo really can give your better MPG not what is the best way to gain mpg . So the truck will remain factory with the exception of the turbo to prove or dis prove the theroy.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:36 PM
12 Second Truck Club

I think its a good way to convince the wife!. STS must be hurting for business if they are blowing smoke up their customers asses! LOL
Old 02-22-2011, 05:46 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am confident that it will improve the fuel economy of the car, just not sure by how much. This is the first time someones tried it with this intent and set-up for this particular reason. Should prove to be very interesting!! And you seem to know what the limitations and difficulties are gonna be so at least your well informed!
When's the install date already?

Old 02-22-2011, 06:29 PM
Staging Lane

The turbo should be here in about a week or so. Waiting for tracking info from STS. Bought and paid for just over a week ago.

Yes. I know the limitations and will tune to make the engine happy. With 3 PSI max it will tune pretty well. I don't think a lot of people understand how much the turbo should help the truck stay in AFM mode. I'm excited to see how it works with AFM. I already have tuned AFM mode to acheive max fuel mileage FYI. Thanks guys for all the replies!

Quick Reply: My "Turbo for Mileage" Project