FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

My "Turbo for Mileage" Project

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 11:46 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Smokeshow, I have thought about that and while driving I tried to pay attention to it. I dont seem to have any surge under 60% throttle and normal driving. Im not sure if the intake and piping is creating enough space to take it or what. I still may go ahead and run a blow off valve just to be safe thought.

I did some more testing. So far, im not having any luck in V4 mode. It just does not like to be in AFM with the added boost. So for now im going to run just V8 mode. Im knocking down 25 pretty consistanly in the city between 35 and 50 mph. The trip gages shows an average of 17 mpg so far. Thats up almost 4 mpg from before. This is just city driving. I have not had a chance to do much highway driving yet. Ill hopefully get to it next week.

So, to this point. I will say that my turbo setup seems to be netting me more mpg. I love the torque difference at part throttle for normal driving. It really rolls alot better with easy throttle. The IAT's are very low. Never seeing over 65 degrees F. So far, im very happy.

Oh yea, the oil pump on my truck is very quite. Im not sure if its a different design or what. The cap for oil return is now metal and locks in. There is absolutely no oil leaks anywhere. Here are a few more pics to go with the install.

Oh yea, went to the dyno and for some reason the power supply for the dyno was broke. He is getting it fixed and ill go back asap.
Attached Thumbnails My "Turbo for Mileage" Project-turbo-pipe_0.jpg   My "Turbo for Mileage" Project-crocked-sts-pipe_0.jpg  

Last edited by LSRacing; 03-18-2011 at 11:47 AM. Reason: add info
Old 03-18-2011, 12:02 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LSRacing
I did some more testing. So far, im not having any luck in V4 mode. It just does not like to be in AFM with the added boost. So for now im going to run just V8 mode.
That's what I was trying to point out earlier.....

Originally Posted by Coban
However, if I remember correctly, one of the enable/disable parameters is manifold vacuum. You might have to do something clever there....
Old 03-18-2011, 12:28 PM
Staging Lane

coban,

I can get it to enter 4 cyl mode, it just does not ride well or seem to have the power it needs to cruise. Ill try some highway testing also. It makes a weird exhaust noise now that there is no muffler to hide it. It kind of sounds like a poping noise. Its kind of funny to hear. IT just the cyl shutting down.

Im actually pretty happy with the mpg while not in afm mode. Its nice not to have to baby it to get decent mileage. Now I can drive pretty normal and maintain over 20mpg at cruise at just about any speed up to 50 mph so far.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:58 AM
Staging Lane

IF the turbo ends up giving you capability for better fuel mileage, is there any reason the STS system would be inherently better than one of the front mount kits as far as MPG is concerned?
Old 03-19-2011, 09:24 AM
Staging Lane

Here is my thought on your question doc.

1. I went the STS route for the ease of installation and the stock appearance. As a bonus, no under hood temp rise. I have seen many front mount turbos on cars melt a ton of stuff under the hood.

2. The IAT temps with STS are super low because of the intake piping running under the truck so far up to the front. The air cools naturaly from the oustide air moving under the truck etc...

3. No need for an intercooler at all if you stay under 6 lbs of boost. Less piping in the way up front and much easier to install. Also cheaper!

4. No turbo blanket to stop the heat from destroying stuff.

5. If you go the route I went, you dont need to upgrade the pump or injectors etc... Im not shooting for high rpm HP so the stock fuel system is just fine.

Over all, the STS system is very nice and clean on the vehicle. There was very little tuning needed for non WOT driving. You could start and drive the vehicle on the stock tune if you did not go WOT. I only tuned to optimize the MPG. The WOT tuning on the street was pretty easy also.

After installing it was nice to drive and feel the difference on how easy it was to get up too speed and cruise. Watching the instant mpg gauge was a relief when I saw it was up over 5 mpg at light throttle cruise. Ill do alot of testing this month and should be able to get thru about 4 tanks of fuel and see what the real actual difference is. By the way, 87 octane still! Love that with the gas prices being over $3.50 a gallon.

Just my thoughts on it. Im in no way saying its better than a front mount setup. This is just why I went rear mount. You may be able to get the same results from a front mount setup also. Im not sure what the IAT temps would be going that route.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:39 AM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Please keep the updates coming. I'm trying to convince my wife to allow me to turbo the family truck (again)....

BTW, I saw an improvement with all my turbo set-up changes, but I never tried too much at the time. I did like the fact when I towed my boat, I could pass diesel trucks pulling trailers while still in overdrive...
Old 03-19-2011, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

this is exaclty what im looking to do, except I wont be as modest as you, I will run a little bit higher boost so that when I want to, I can enjoy the 3-5k I invested in closer to the turbo's full potential.

also where is the filter located is it all the way back up in the fenderwell behind the rear tire?? could hitting a puddle be catastrophic in a worst case scenario? since the filter would be much more suseptible to gettin water on it than with a front mount?

I wish the KBracing guy would chime in here and give us his opinions.

I personally dont think there would be much difference in the IAT between the front mount or the rear mount but Im no expert.

good luck cant wait to see your results.

also I didnt see what is the powertrain set-up your running other than its a 5.3.

Ill be running the new 6.2/6l80 and 3.42s

Last edited by joshua022; 03-19-2011 at 09:02 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:41 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great job thus far! Really enjoying the un-biased reporting! Please keep the updates coming.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:05 AM
Staging Lane

Specs of the truck are: Completly stock (except sts turbo of course) 2007 chevy silverado LTZ, 4wd crew cab, 3.73 rear gear, 4L60E, stock tires and rims, Z71 towing package.

This is a great truck to drive. It has factory remote start, heated seats, 6 disc cd player bose system, leather with all the bells and whistles! I went shopping for the best Silverado I could find with the money I had. I could not be happier with the truck thus far.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:16 AM
Launching!

Interesting thread ...... glad to see you trying to make the AFM work .........Impressed with city mileage pickup

I have a 2010 LTZ CC 4wd 5.3 6 spd 3.42 DD with weekend towing .............. I have a TVS 1900 waiting to install .......stock except for headers thats it, plan for 5-6 lbs boost max .......Be interesting to see if my city mileage could pick up under normal driving conditions ????? Will be following your progress with interest

Quick Reply: My "Turbo for Mileage" Project