FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Need help with Walbro intall please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 10:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldnt run a pump that way. Youwould need to keep at least a half a tank for the fuel level to stay safe like that imo. The bucket is designed to catch the fuel from the return line and hold it to cool the pump. The sock needs to be on the bottom, outside of the bucket laying flat on the bottom of the tank. If you order a walbro with a ls camaro install kit it will fit in the bucket with the pickup sticking through the hole tightly just as you have it. The pump will sit without any modifications. The sock woll just snap on the pump and laf flat along the bottom of the bucket. Then run a zip tie through the holes around the pump to snug it up. Thats exactly how I have done two and the pump and sock fit very, very secure. That pump has a completely different style pickup than yours btw.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:38 AM
On The Tree

Thank you for that respoinse. I always thought a walbro was a walbro..one style. I had 3 of them here from my lexus, so thought no big deal.

So...now I am gonna look into getting a replacement carriage(if anyone has one please speak up!) and buy a stock pump and run it with a boost a pump. What a pain in the ***. Should have done that from the start. I only wanna make 500whp. lol
Old 06-25-2011, 12:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 138 Likes on 91 Posts

FYI... here is a good depiction of the different Walbro pumps: http://www.autoperformanceengineerin...l/fppumps.html

The F20000169 is the easiest to put in a return style bucket. You have already done all the right modifications to your bucket to drop one right in with the right sock on the outside.

Last edited by BigKID; 06-25-2011 at 12:36 PM.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:38 PM
On The Tree

I really like that site..can see now where I went wrong.

If I go with the pump you described it seems that it would indeed work correctly. And hopefully not need more then a quarter tank of fuel to lay into the loud pedal.

They mention one that goes with the '69' style pump, and I gander that this is the one that will go outside the pump correctly.

what about the foam sleeve..I really like the idea of using that.

ugh..thanks guys!
Old 06-25-2011, 09:22 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BigKID
FYI... here is a good depiction of the different Walbro pumps: http://www.autoperformanceengineerin...l/fppumps.html

The F20000169 is the easiest to put in a return style bucket. You have already done all the right modifications to your bucket to drop one right in with the right sock on the outside.
Yea go with that part number. Some people say go with the mustang one but I couldn't get the sock to fit on the outside of the bucket.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:17 PM
MASS seller approved

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

need a stock bucket?
Old 06-25-2011, 10:23 PM
On The Tree

Yea dude if ya got one!!
Old 07-01-2011, 11:04 PM
TECH Veteran

FWIW, racetronix sells a dual inlet pump for f-body's that might work for you and the truck world. The factory return style pump actually has two inlets like f-body's and unlike Walbro pumps people use. This would allow you to keep your bucket 100% intact. They claim they're good for 600rwhp, but I'm not sure how much you're looking for.

Read the description below from Racetronix's site of how the bucket is supposed to work:

The 1999 & up LS1 F-body cars have a pump that is inside a plastic fill-bucket. The fill-bucket is equipped with two inlets on the bottom. The equalization checkvalve is used to fill the bucket when the level of fuel in the tank is greater than in the bucket. The equalization checkvalve does not allow fuel to exit the bucket. The venturi system's inlet is a combination checkvalve and powered suction system. The factory pump supplies pressurized fuel via a small tube which feeds a calibrated jet inside the venturi system. This jet of fuel shoots across the base of the checkvalve inlet thereby creating a suction effect which draws more fuel from the bottom of the tank through the filter sock. This venturi system keeps the bucket full all the time even when the fuel tank is almost empty. A full bucket keeps the pump immersed in fuel regardless of the tank level so that when the tank is low on gas and you are doing some hard cornering or acceleration the pump does not run dry and start aerating (air bubbles) the fuel. This happens as the fuel sloshes from side to side in the tank leaving the center low on fuel. This can cause detonation and possible engine damage. The 99+ F-LS1 cars with plastic tanks have no baffling in them so the bucket is very important. The bucket also allows the car to operate with lower fuel levels in the tank due to its scavenging effect. The fill-bucket improves motor crank-to-run time as the priming time is reduced under most conditions. The return line feeds the pressure regulator on the fuel module which diverts fuel back into the bucket so that the unused fuel also helps keep it full at all times. Keeping the pump constantly immersed in gas within the bucket can extend the pump's life by not allowing it to be exposed to open air. Open air within the tank contains moisture and in time will cause the pump to rust / seize up especially if left to sit for long periods of time without the tank topped-up (i.e. winter storage).