FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

New Whipple 2.9L compressor, 175AX

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 02:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by James B.
If you do the test with the cold air tube off the throttle body, post up a video of that! Very few people have had the privledge of hearing the full volume of a wide open Whipple intake.

They are calling for rain tomorrow here, so it may have to wait till Sunday. I will do my best to get a Video.

Had another thought on your situation today.
All this time we've been talking about rear-inlet compressors. Whipple makes a version of the 3.3L with a top inlet with a carburetor bolt pattern - the "200R". The easy bolt pattern will make it a lot easier to custom-make an inlet elbow for your application. Since you're MAF-less anyway it might be possible to run an inlet forward and mount the TB on the driver side with an open element filter. (Intercooler and pulley size can make up for the underhood heat as long as the radiator up front is large enough to do the job.) Even though the top inlet is not as efficient as the back inlet, I think that this would solve the rear clearance problem easily. The 3.3L compressor is 2" longer than the 2.3L compressor. There are a few companies making intake elbows for the aftermarket carb-flanged Gen-III/IV smallblock manifolds, there might be a low-profile one available that can be made to work. Whatever the design it does appear that it will need to be very low to fit under the hood.
I think i can make the AX version work....i think. I am just waiting to see if Mike or Jeff can loan me a case to try and test fit. I think the "R" version would be to high after fitting the adapter.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really a dumb question but are you sure your boost gauge is correct.

Also i missed why you messing with a good setup. did something break? or just you power hungry? ALso are you not still on stock headers and cats?

Slap that bich with a 100 shot and be done
Old 10-27-2008, 07:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Kerr
Really a dumb question but are you sure your boost gauge is correct.

Also i missed why you messing with a good setup. did something break? or just you power hungry? ALso are you not still on stock headers and cats?

Slap that bich with a 100 shot and be done
Im reading straight from the MAP sensor via EFILive....so i am 99% sure its acurate. Nothing broke, just want more boost. Stock exhaust manifolds and cats. I did not get a chance to do the test.....had to do some electrical work on Sunday.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:27 PM
9 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why can't you mount the TB on top of the charger? I know they used to have a 3.3L carberated blower that draws from the top.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by stock48
Why can't you mount the TB on top of the charger? I know they used to have a 3.3L carberated blower that draws from the top.
Pretty sure it would be too tall.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:44 PM
9 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Whippled 496
Pretty sure it would be too tall.
In your pictures it looks like the master cyl is a few inches higher than the blower. Also the farther back you go the mor hieght you have. The carb sits at the rear top of the SC. Might be able to do a cowl hood with a wider cowl to give it more room. That thing would scoot with a 3.3L on there
Old 10-27-2008, 07:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Whippled 496
Nothing broke, just want more boost.
Great you need more boost and I'm gettin too much! I'd let you have some of mine if I could.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

They make a forward-facing one too...
Old 10-27-2008, 08:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TieRod
Great you need more boost and I'm gettin too much! I'd let you have some of mine if I could.
I think you just come here looking for my posts so you can rub dirt in my face. Enjoy your boost sir!

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

They make a forward-facing one too...
Hmmmmmmmm....that looks like a decent piece. Now i need Mike over at Whipple to play ball and get me a 3.3L case. Can you call him and threaten him for me James?
Old 10-27-2008, 09:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HAH! I don't want to **** Mike off right now, I'm going to need some stuff from him very soon. I've got a second Vortec 454 on the engine stand I'm using for mock-up. Mike just sent me one of the alternator relocation brackets they used on the no-longer-sold Vortec 454 kits. That's going to free up the entire passenger side for the compressor and induction! At this point I'm going to be using the same 200R compressor with the carb flange and likely the un-powdercoated version of that Eldelbrock elbow. I figure the bare-cast piece will be better since a 1.5" bypass tube has to be welded on.
I've got quite a mess going on in the garage right now myself.
http://bertok.us/pics/altbracket.jpg

Quick Reply: New Whipple 2.9L compressor, 175AX