FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

New Whipple 2.9L compressor, 175AX

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 05:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by James B.
HAH! I don't want to **** Mike off right now, I'm going to need some stuff from him very soon. I've got a second Vortec 454 on the engine stand I'm using for mock-up. Mike just sent me one of the alternator relocation brackets they used on the no-longer-sold Vortec 454 kits. That's going to free up the entire passenger side for the compressor and induction! At this point I'm going to be using the same 200R compressor with the carb flange and likely the un-powdercoated version of that Eldelbrock elbow. I figure the bare-cast piece will be better since a 1.5" bypass tube has to be welded on.
I've got quite a mess going on in the garage right now myself.
http://bertok.us/pics/altbracket.jpg
LOL, three blowers and a turbo. They all going on the 7.4?

Yup, i would say you have plenty to do as well.

Last edited by Whippled 496; 10-29-2008 at 05:43 AM.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whippled, i see you have 60 lb injectors. did you have to do a fuel pump mod as well. I tracked down a intercooled whipple for the suburban so now you have at least one side kick.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:55 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Will the 3.3 be on for the 16th Jim?
Old 10-28-2008, 08:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HAH! I don't want to **** Mike off right now, I'm going to need some stuff from him very soon. I've got a second Vortec 454 on the engine stand I'm using for mock-up. Mike just sent me one of the alternator relocation brackets they used on the no-longer-sold Vortec 454 kits. That's going to free up the entire passenger side for the compressor and induction! At this point I'm going to be using the same 200R compressor with the carb flange and likely the un-powdercoated version of that Eldelbrock elbow. I figure the bare-cast piece will be better since a 1.5" bypass tube has to be welded on.
I've got quite a mess going on in the garage right now myself.
http://bertok.us/pics/altbracket.jpg
I thought you gave up on F/I?
Old 10-28-2008, 10:27 PM
hog
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

he did, but onlybecause he went from an ETEC headed GMPP383/Whipple to a stock L29.
trust me, when James gets boosted again, the earths rotation will skew.

peace
Hog
Old 10-29-2008, 05:53 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Kerr
Whippled, i see you have 60 lb injectors. did you have to do a fuel pump mod as well. I tracked down a intercooled whipple for the suburban so now you have at least one side kick.
Nope, these 8.1L pumps (according to TieRod) are a different animal than the small block pumps. They are noticably larger in diameter and I assume have a higher flow rating although i could never find specs on them. My pump is doing fine so far with no noticable pressure drop.

Originally Posted by XLR8NSS
Will the 3.3 be on for the 16th Jim?
Probably....all i need to do in the next three weeks is get Mike over at Whipple to send me an empty case so I can do a mock up and make sure it fits. Then i will fab up some custom adapters, inlets, and outlets to bolt onto the case. After that, i will put my order in for the actual 3.3L compressor and take delivery of that. Once thats in, i can bolt everything up and get the intercooler situated. At that point i should be left with plenty of time to get a few hundred miles of tuning in so i can dial in the boost, timing, fuel pressure, and get the tranny adapted shifts reset and relearned. Then i should be good to go. I figure all that shouldnt take any more than about 8 or 10 days....so i should be good to go for the 16th!!
Old 10-29-2008, 02:58 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like you'll be busy but, that's cool that it'll be on!

Old 10-29-2008, 06:16 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by XLR8NSS
Sounds like you'll be busy but, that's cool that it'll be on!

Old 11-02-2008, 01:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got a few more photos to post:

There is a company in Australia making kits with Whipple's compressors for use on Holdens. I don't know what the name of the company is. Here is an example of their work I found doing an image search:

Here is a visual difference in size between the entries of the 2.3L and 3.3L compressors:

I can't get out of my head one detail about your setup that resonates "PROBLEM" with me - that "boost did not increase" with the last few decreases in pulley diameter. You can see from the calculations that there is airflow missing. Inlet restriction and/or belt slip as causes still come out at the top of the list no matter how I think about it.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:26 AM
TECH Addict

I've got a few more photos to post:

Here is a visual difference in size between the entries of the 2.3L and 3.3L compressors:

I can't get out of my head one detail about your setup that resonates "PROBLEM" with me - that "boost did not increase" with the last few decreases in pulley diameter. You can see from the calculations that there is airflow missing. Inlet restriction and/or belt slip as causes still come out at the top of the list no matter how I think about it.
Holy ****....thats a bigger difference in height than i thought!

I am going to try and pull of the induction tubing today and make a few passes. I will let you know what i find. Thanks for the pics!

Quick Reply: New Whipple 2.9L compressor, 175AX