FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

New Whipple 2.9L compressor, 175AX

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 04:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just food for thought. If you run the 3.3 it may lack boost down low. The blower needs to spin fast enough to over come it's inefficiency at low rpm. The bigger blower will need less rpm to make same boost as the smaller blower. So the determined boost of a bigger blower will come on at a later engine rpm. Kinda like 03-04 cobra's with the 2.8 KB.
Another thing there's a local guy with an vortec 454, ported heads, and a 502 hot cam getting 14# out of a 2.3 Whipple. So I think your not maxin the blower just yet.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TieRod
Another thing there's a local guy with an vortec 454, ported heads, and a 502 hot cam getting 14# out of a 2.3 Whipple. So I think your not maxin the blower just yet.
What....Seriously.....14lbs out of a CAM'ed 454? Well, i dont get it then. I guess i must have a restriction someplace like James has been trying to tell me. I tried today to unhook the induction setup but could not get a filter and short tube to hook up to the throttle body....just not enough room back there. I was close to running up to the store and getting some pantyhose to wrap around the TB as a make shift filter...but i didnt. The Whipple induction is pulling air from the fenderwell just like the stock induction did, only the fender was cut out a little more to allow more air in. Then its going through the airbox and K&N filter before it travels through approx. five feet of 4" induction tubing. I need to figure something else out......maybe a cowl hood...LOL
Old 11-02-2008, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For just the purpose of a quick test the throttle body can be left open as long as no loose hood insulation is near there. Definately don't try to stretch something over the throttle body. There is enough volume and vacuum right there to suck in a small barnyard animal.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by James B.
For just the purpose of a quick test the throttle body can be left open as long as no loose hood insulation is near there. Definately don't try to stretch something over the throttle body. There is enough volume and vacuum right there to suck in a small barnyard animal.
LOL...i hear ya.

On a side note. I have always wondered about something maybe you can answer. I have a 1/2" elbow that sticks out of the induction tube in the section right after the MAF. This tube (via a section of hose) connects to the inlet adapter of the intake manifold (bypassing the blower and everything). Any idea what this is or what its for? I will try to find a picture.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

That should lead to the rocker cover. The other side of the engine has the PCV valve, so that side should have a breather tube. It's after the MAF so that even air consumed through the PCV is still metered as it's replaced with fresh air going in the other rocker cover connected to the tube you're talking about.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 200 Likes on 157 Posts

Your threads are always like watching Batman when I was a kid. You always have something going on when the weekend comes, so you can't do what you've been talking about all week. Tune in next week, at the same Bat-time, to the same Bat-channel.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:33 AM
TECH Addict

That should lead to the rocker cover. The other side of the engine has the PCV valve, so that side should have a breather tube. It's after the MAF so that even air consumed through the PCV is still metered as it's replaced with fresh air going in the other rocker cover connected to the tube you're talking about.
No PCV setup on the 8100. The instructions specifically call for it to go from the J-tube to the manifold adapter. Didnt make sense to me.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:35 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
Your threads are always like watching Batman when I was a kid. You always have something going on when the weekend comes, so you can't do what you've been talking about all week. Tune in next week, at the same Bat-time, to the same Bat-channel.
Batman? God you're old Mike....what are you like 30 or something? I just ain't got time during the week to do stuff, then the weekend comes and everyone needs stuff done, so all my projects get put on the back burner. I know, its sad.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

The crankcase has to ventilate somehow. It could be an orifice in the underside of the intake manifold. I need to look one of those things over to find out exactly how it's set up on a Vortec 8100. The engine has to have a fresh air path (1/2" or 3/4") connected through an open passage (no valve or orifice) to the cold air tube someplace between the throttle body and the MAF. On the 7.4 it goes to the rocker cover and connects right to a special port on the atmosphere side of the throttle body blade. On a 5.7 it connects to the plastic cold air tube between the TB and MAF.
There's nothing that size connected to the 8100? I'm guessing it would originally have gone to the OEM plastic cold air tub between the TB up front and the MAF on the airbox. Where it's conected to on the engine is anyone's guess, I don't have one handy to go look at...
Old 11-03-2008, 05:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The crankcase has to ventilate somehow. It could be an orifice in the underside of the intake manifold. I need to look one of those things over to find out exactly how it's set up on a Vortec 8100. The engine has to have a fresh air path (1/2" or 3/4") connected through an open passage (no valve or orifice) to the cold air tube someplace between the throttle body and the MAF. On the 7.4 it goes to the rocker cover and connects right to a special port on the atmosphere side of the throttle body blade. On a 5.7 it connects to the plastic cold air tube between the TB and MAF.
There's nothing that size connected to the 8100? I'm guessing it would originally have gone to the OEM plastic cold air tub between the TB up front and the MAF on the airbox. Where it's conected to on the engine is anyone's guess, I don't have one handy to go look at...

The 8.1l have an vacuum port on the bottom side of the intake. STS has you drill and tap it to install a check valve. There is also an vent passage that vents the crankcase to the TB. It runs from the fill tube to the back side of the TB. Also part of the STS kit is to block this off. I have mine vented through a valve cover to a catch can.

Quick Reply: New Whipple 2.9L compressor, 175AX