FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

New Whipple 2.9L compressor, 175AX

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 08:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 200 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Whippled 496
...God you're old Mike....what are you like 30 or something? ...
Thank-you very much. If I could only be 30 again. Then I would probably have the energy to do as much work on my truck as you always say you are going to do!
Old 11-03-2008, 11:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup fixed oriface pcv under the intake. I plugged mine when I had the manifold off while I redid the heads. Put two breathers on the valve covers and called it done.....redneck yes but it works....beats blowing boost into the crank case.

Alex
Old 11-09-2008, 03:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got some testing done today:

Here is how the stock Whipple induction looked before I started......

I had to use the tube that came with the Whipple kit that hooks to the throttle body because there was just no room between the intercooler and the firewall. I installed the air filter directly to that tube as seen below.......

I was pretty hopefull, but unfortunately there was no change at all in blower pressure. It spiked once at 148kPa, but that was the best it did. Most times in boost it varied between 138kPa-144kPa. I saw no signs of belt slip either....so at this point i am unsure where my problem is. This setup eliminated 3 feet of 4" induction tube as well as the old filter, filter box, and air draw that was being pulled through the fender well. This tells me that there must not be any restriction in the Whipple induction kit. The blower did sound cool with the induction removed and i will try to get a couple clips of that uploaded later. I am confused and open for suggestions

Last edited by XLR8NSS; 11-09-2008 at 07:28 PM.
Old 11-09-2008, 04:20 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Have you ever done a before and after intercooler pressure test?
Old 11-09-2008, 04:21 PM
9 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Got some testing done today:

Here is how the stock Whipple induction looked before I started......

I had to use the tube that came with the Whipple kit that hooks to the throttle body because there was just no room between the intercooler and the firewall. I installed the air filter directly to that tube as seen below.......

I was pretty hopefull, but unfortunately there was no change at all in blower pressure. It spiked once at 148kPa, but that was the best it did. Most times in boost it varied between 138kPa-144kPa. I saw no signs of belt slip either....so at this point i am unsure where my problem is. This setup eliminated 3 feet of 4" induction tube as well as the old filter, filter box, and air draw that was being pulled through the fender well. This tells me that there must not be any restriction in the Whipple induction kit. The blower did sound cool with the induction removed and i will try to get a couple clips of that uploaded later. I am confused and open for suggestions
Looks good but the hot air is probably eating up your gains. That's going to kill you in the summer. What size TB are you running?
Old 11-09-2008, 04:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TrickPerformanceProducts
Have you ever done a before and after intercooler pressure test?
Nope, but i would imagine if there was a drop, it would be reletive to the pulleys I have been trying. My pressure has not gone up even when changing to a 1/4" smaller pulley.

Originally Posted by stock48
Looks good but the hot air is probably eating up your gains. That's going to kill you in the summer. What size TB are you running?
It was actually just for testing purposes to see if i was getting a restriction in the old intake tubing. I dont plan on keeping it this way, especially now that i know it didnt make a difference. TB is stock...what is that, 80mm?
Old 11-09-2008, 05:12 PM
Admin

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts

78mm is stock
Old 11-09-2008, 05:13 PM
9 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nope, but i would imagine if there was a drop, it would be reletive to the pulleys I have been trying. My pressure has not gone up even when changing to a 1/4" smaller pulley.

It was actually just for testing purposes to see if i was getting a restriction in the old intake tubing. I dont plan on keeping it this way, especially now that i know it didnt make a difference. TB is stock...what is that, 80mm?
I don't know on the 8.1L. Have you hooked up a vacuume gage after the TB and checked at WOT?
Old 11-09-2008, 07:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 200 Likes on 157 Posts

He needs 3 test ports in the intake: one on either side of the throttle to show if it is a restriction, and one by the filter to compare it and the one outside of the throttle, to show if that Whippletube along the firewall is as restrictive as I personally think it is.
Then another pressure sensor betwixt the blower and intercooler, to compare with the MAP reading, to see if the I/C is restrictive.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:22 PM
Admin

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
He needs 3 test ports in the intake: one on either side of the throttle to show if it is a restriction, and one by the filter to compare it and the one outside of the throttle, to show if that Whippletube along the firewall is as restrictive as I personally think it is.
Then another pressure sensor betwixt the blower and intercooler, to compare with the MAP reading, to see if the I/C is restrictive.
Ya, there is still more to check before all is ruled out.

Quick Reply: New Whipple 2.9L compressor, 175AX