FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

New Whipple Programmer?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 02:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Whipple Programmer?

I keep reading that the old piggy back computer that came with the Whipple kits was pretty bad, but now it looks like they have replace the craptronics with a hand held flash programmer. Does this new programmer solve many of the issues the the old system had? I have been considering a Kenne Bell or a Whipple for my 04 Avalanche, but did not want to have to deal with programing issues that have been associated with the Whipple factory piggy back system.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ta2av
I keep reading that the old piggy back computer that came with the Whipple kits was pretty bad, but now it looks like they have replace the craptronics with a hand held flash programmer. Does this new programmer solve many of the issues the the old system had? I have been considering a Kenne Bell or a Whipple for my 04 Avalanche, but did not want to have to deal with programing issues that have been associated with the Whipple factory piggy back system.
To answer your first question....yes, they did away with the older style piggyback system and now utilize a "softer" piggyback system. What i mean is they still provide you with a PCM interface that monitors data and sets alarms (LED lights) and/or cuts boost if problems arise. They also now provide you with a diablo programmer to flash thier custom tune into your original PCM. I guess this allows them to Email tunes to you if a problem comes up, not sure. Either way, the option to take is to do away with ALL the electronics and get some PCM tuning software or get a custom PCM tune to match your FI system. Get a set of 42lb injectors (I think the KB blower comes with them) and a properly tuned PCM and there is no need for aftermarket electronics at all. I got a hell of a discount from Whipple by deleting these extra items from the blower package, however i made the difference back up with injectors and PCM tuning software...
Old 10-17-2006, 04:50 PM
Teching In

So what made you go with the Whipple over the Kenne Bell? They seem prety similar except for extra fuel delivery.
Old 10-17-2006, 05:53 PM
TECH Addict

Kenne Bell would not sell to me because i had an Allison tranny. I could have lied and told them i had a suburban or something, but in the end it just felt better getting a blower from someone who supported pickup trucks with the Allison tranny. Plus, Whipple had the optional intercooler available which i will be getting very soon.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:20 PM
Teching In

So in your opinion which system, kenne bell or whipple, would be better if I did not want to get a custom tune, but wanted to keep the supercharger manufacturers tuning?
Old 10-17-2006, 08:21 PM
TECH Addict

That seems to be the question lately, which is better Whiple or Kenne Bell
Old 10-17-2006, 11:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ta2av
So in your opinion which system, kenne bell or whipple, would be better if I did not want to get a custom tune, but wanted to keep the supercharger manufacturers tuning?

I have no clue...lol. Just being honest. I have never heard anything about how either of thier factory tunes are. I know they are not going to be as good as a personal dyno tune, and in my opinion if you're going to fork over thousands of dollars for a power adder, why not do it the right way with a custome tune? I think unless your going to pick up the new 2.8L blower from KB, both products are very similar....just comes down to the right price.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:55 PM
Teching In

I have the predator programmer on my 2002 GMC Sierra. It does include a custom tune that gets rid of some of the TM. But with their custom tune you can only change a few settings like tire size, max speed WOT and part throttle shift time and I think1 or 2 others. The predator can tune just about everything you ever wanted but with in the Whipple tune in the Predator you are very limited to what you can do.