FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

is this normal ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 05:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default is this normal ?

tried my pro charger setup on the street , then all of a sudden alot of smoke came from under the hood , check it and there was oil on my pass valve cover , apparently it was coming from the dipstick so i was like wtf, idleing spots was fling out the dip stick but wen i would take the oil cap off it would stop so i added a breather on the pass valve cover close the cap and it went away , so is this normal ?
Old 10-30-2009, 05:51 AM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take the tube that runs from the throttle body to the pass side valve cover off.. I was blowing the dip stick tube out, oiling **** up also.. That fixed my prob..
Old 10-30-2009, 06:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats wat i did and the problem got fix but is that normal ? why does it do that
Old 10-30-2009, 06:59 AM
9 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes its normal you were pumping boost into your crankcase. Be sure nothing in your intake track after the blower is hooked up to your valvecovers, or valley pan. You need to be vented to aptmosphere, or the inlet pipe leading from your air filter to the blower.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sounds like a scary moment.

Glad it as an easy fix!
Old 10-30-2009, 08:35 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by stock48
You need to be vented to aptmosphere, or the inlet pipe leading from your air filter to the blower.
Like Stock 48 said, run a hose to the air filter inlet. After you put a rubber cap on the 3/8" tube coming off the Throttle Body, you should extend the rubber hose to to the rubber elbow before the Air Filter. If your using a Procharger rubber elbow/air filter, it will have a small hole for a 3/8" hose barb for the now extended hose coming off the passenger side valve cover. This will keep oil mist from constantly coming out the breather you added. I've never had to run a valve cover breather with any of the kits set up like this.

You can download a manual from Procharger and it shows how it's done with their kits.

Rick
Old 10-30-2009, 09:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Rick, when you ran that set-up did it keep the oil smell down and did you run a catch can.I have both my valve covers vented to the atmosphere and in the winter when I run defrost you can really smell the oil smell in the cab.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:23 AM
TECH Resident

I've never ran valve cover breathers on a procharger set-up (I've installed/built about a half dozen kits). I've always just used the standard Procharger set-up as described in thier manual and I've never had a problem with blow by or that oil smell.

On my turbo install, I'm running a catch can with 3/4" inside diameter hoses from each valve cover to a catch can on my passenger fender behind the headlight. I do occassionally get a faint whiff of oil smell in the cab. You can almost always smell oil when you get out of the truck right after I shut the motor off, especially if I just came charging up before I shut if off. I get almost no oil in my catch can so I've been considering just running the hoses directly into the Air Filter base so the vacuum from the turbo inlet keeps the vapors down (similar in idea to the Procharger set-up).

Rick

Last edited by Rick_Vor; 10-31-2009 at 09:44 AM.
Old 10-31-2009, 03:07 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I have my crankcase completely sealed off except for a line coming from each valve cover going into a catch can with a breather. I've blown the dip stick out a few times. When pushing alot of boost your going to pressurize the crankcase to some degree, especially if you don't have a pump. I'm not saying your motor is wore out, but loose ring clearances can make this problem worse on a boost app.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:49 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Blown06
I have my crankcase completely sealed off except for a line coming from each valve cover going into a catch can with a breather. I've blown the dip stick out a few times. When pushing alot of boost your going to pressurize the crankcase to some degree, especially if you don't have a pump. I'm not saying your motor is wore out, but loose ring clearances can make this problem worse on a boost app.
Worn rings will definetely make matters worse. What size hoses are you running to the catch can? Unless they are under vacuum, they have to be pretty good size. I Tee'd my hoses at the back of the motor but I've read that you should run both lines directly to the catch can to reduce backpressure. So far the Tee seems to be working but I'm only running 10lbs of boost.

Rick

Quick Reply: is this normal ?