FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Not impressed by the "Hype"

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 08:01 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i only referenced the dyno pull from maggie to show the upwards graph. I certainly did not mean to use it a as number comparison. I rarely rarely talk numbers with dyno stuff. They seem like a great tuning tool to me, not too much of a specific rating game though. I have never dynoed and would only do it if I was at a shop that did it for free for some reason.

I suck, I am looking at it like a dope. I will stfu now. I won't even admit what I was looking at.

I didn't think about the IAT usually doesn't get a chance to make huge correction on a dyno run of 3K to 6K. Good point. The TQ from 3500 to 4500 is much smoother and doesn't fall as quick, that will mean alot on the track versus peak numbers on a dyno.

Is it possible to give some screen shots of your timing set up? IAT advance tables? You mention early what your commanded timing was? although zip has definitely sold me on that probably isn't it unless it was already a hot blower. And I agree on valve float or belt slip at the end of the pull.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Research alot on here and I see so many combinations. I was planning on doing what "Trever1T" did GT2-3 cam, 918 springs, but how do I know what length pushrod to buy? Anything else need to be added along with this to prevent "valve float"?
Old 02-04-2009, 09:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 254 Likes on 165 Posts

Lingenfelter can tell you what length to go with their cam. I think mine are Thunder Racing 7.425 - don't recall.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

As for the belt slip...could it be a bad/worn out tensioner assembly?
Those things really start hopping at high rpm, and if it's mushy, I would imagine that it could munch a belt quite quickly.
Just a thought that I didnt see anybody mention yet.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:32 AM
11 Second Truck Club

You realize this thread is well over a year old since anyone posted it last?
Old 06-22-2010, 10:43 AM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

NICE............................... BTW i stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night...
Old 12-30-2010, 11:02 PM
LS1Tech Editor

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
Take that air box off. I never had good results with a Volant, and remember.....the gains that most of us got were on maxed out systems. @ 9psi I bet you would have gained 20 hp more.

EVERY vehicle responds differently to mods, allot depends on the dyno, the operator, the tuner, etc, etc. 40 rwhp and 70 ft pounds is not bad IMHO.

As for another post talking about it not being what they expected, what did you expect a top fuel dragster? These are safe bolt ons OUT OF THE BOX, if you choose to take it further than that its all about the combination. I do not think shaving 1.5-2 seconds off of your stock ET is bad at all....but then what do I know.
Since this thread was already raised from the dead I thought I would ask if anyone can elaborate on the above info about the Volant intake. I just picked up an '03 RCSS Silverado with a Maggie MP112 kit and a 3" Magnaflow cat-back. Aside from trans upgrades, I'd like to start with a nice CAI. I was thinking about the Volant or K&N since I can't find an Outlaw. Can anyone elaborate on a Volant chocking a radix truck. Or for that matter, what intake do most suggest for a Radix truck?

Thanks all
Old 12-30-2010, 11:18 PM
TOTM: January 2007

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by loloone
Since this thread was already raised from the dead I thought I would ask if anyone can elaborate on the above info about the Volant intake. I just picked up an '03 RCSS Silverado with a Maggie MP112 kit and a 3" Magnaflow cat-back. Aside from trans upgrades, I'd like to start with a nice CAI. I was thinking about the Volant or K&N since I can't find an Outlaw. Can anyone elaborate on a Volant chocking a radix truck. Or for that matter, what intake do most suggest for a Radix truck?

Thanks all
I had a Volant until about a year ago. I think it worked extremely well. I made good dyno numbers 515rwhp on a dynojet and 545rwhp on a dynapack. I also ran 12.1's at about 115mph at 5200 pounds.

I think it is personal preference. I would be more concerned about a single 3" exhaust system rather than a Volant CAI. I had a 3" magnaflow single in/out set up before my true duals. It was really restrictive. At WOT, you could barely hear the exhaust.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:40 PM
LS1Tech Editor

Originally Posted by Last Call
I had a Volant until about a year ago. I think it worked extremely well. I made good dyno numbers 515rwhp on a dynojet and 545rwhp on a dynapack. I also ran 12.1's at about 115mph at 5200 pounds.

I think it is personal preference. I would be more concerned about a single 3" exhaust system rather than a Volant CAI. I had a 3" magnaflow single in/out set up before my true duals. It was really restrictive. At WOT, you could barely hear the exhaust.
Thanks for the reply, yeah, I think the exhaust is too small. I'd like to go to a true dual setup with an X-pipe. As for headers, since I live in Cali and don't want to mess with smog I think I'll just stick with some JBA shorties. I want some LTs but I'd rather not be looking over my shoulder when my local black-and-whites roll by.

Maybe I'll stick with a Volant since their box setup with the ram-air scoop looks pretty trick.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:12 PM
TOTM: January 2007

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by loloone
Thanks for the reply, yeah, I think the exhaust is too small. I'd like to go to a true dual setup with an X-pipe. As for headers, since I live in Cali and don't want to mess with smog I think I'll just stick with some JBA shorties. I want some LTs but I'd rather not be looking over my shoulder when my local black-and-whites roll by.

Maybe I'll stick with a Volant since their box setup with the ram-air scoop looks pretty trick.
Good deal - I got some TOG midlength headers back in the day and they have a CARB number.

Where are you from in the Bay Area?