FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

O Noes- Oil On The Driveway

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default O Noes- Oil On The Driveway

since i have boosted my truck it seems to be bleeding some oil- there is oil under the truck only after i go and boost it- when i dont boost and just drive normal there is ver y very little residue under the

i beleive its because im boosting the crankcase- so i went and got a check valve from grainger to put into the PCV system to stop boosting the crank case- I just want to make sure this is it- I beleive it is comming out of the breather- on the valve cover all down the side of the block and causing it to burn off in traffic and look like my truck is smoking-

do you guys think that boosting the crank case is the main problem?
Old 10-18-2006, 03:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, the air/fuel mixture is blowing past the rings right into the crankcase. The crankcase then gets pressurized and blows oil out the path of least resistance. There are crankcase evac kits, catch cans and air/oil separators out there to help combat this issue.

I've had the pleasure of going lean on my number 7 cylinder, so I get a quite a bit of blowby since those rings have seen better days. You're not alone with this issue. I've had oil blow out my dipstick and blow down on the exhaust manifold and onto the block. This proceeded to saturate my crank position sensor and it caused my truck to sputter, shut off and ultimatley not run. Bottom line, don't screw with leaking oil!
Old 10-18-2006, 04:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

o great..... im gonna put a check valve in the PCV system to prevent boosting the crank case-

WHERE DOES A AN OIL CATCH CAN GO? NO ONE CAN TELL ME
Old 10-18-2006, 05:30 PM
TECH Regular

oil catch can. I mounted mine by the radiator, with one end going to the inlet side of the turbo(vacuum there) and the other side goes to my passenger side valve cover. since then i havent blown the dipstick out, LOL. I put a drain hose on it too
Old 10-18-2006, 09:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Fullthrottledan1
oil catch can. I mounted mine by the radiator, with one end going to the inlet side of the turbo(vacuum there) and the other side goes to my passenger side valve cover. since then i havent blown the dipstick out, LOL. I put a drain hose on it too
Would you happen to have a couple of pics of the catch can you have mounted?
Old 10-18-2006, 09:28 PM
TECH Regular

the can itself

and im going to mount it here, just need to make brackets

time to make -1 hour. then another hour to polish it. totally free from the parts in the junk pile at work!! cant beat that
Old 10-18-2006, 10:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I miss this part of working for a race team, the crap I could make with the stuff we though away and all the fab tools at my disposal, some times I wonder why I left ... Oh ya, I remember, it was the 70+ hours work weeks and no social life!
Old 10-19-2006, 05:21 PM
TECH Regular

yeah, im on the road too much
Old 10-19-2006, 05:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

i put a check valve in the pcv- i helped out ALOT- will see if there is any more leaking
Old 10-19-2006, 05:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Fullthrottledan1
time to make -1 hour. then another hour to polish it. totally free from the parts in the junk pile at work!! cant beat that
Why do I see tranny cooler lines in that pic? I thought you were going with a T56.

You don't have any kind of filter or air/oil separator before the line enters the turbo? Just a catch can?

Quick Reply: O Noes- Oil On The Driveway