FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Oil Feed and Return

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 12:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil Feed and Return

I have read a couple of threads of people using an adapter(one that a member here makes) where the oil filter is or taping the existing block off plate. I have also seen adapters that sandwich in between the block and the plate for those hat have the optional oil cooler.

My question is are both ports coming off the block pressurized?

My thoughts were to use the two lines that normally go to the oil cooler. One or the oil feed and the other for the drain. That is if they are not both pressurized.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the factory oil cooler adapter has a thermostat in it...would require more modification than just hard line to an adapters.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:08 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

Pretty sure both are pressurized....but then that doesnt make a lot of sense since there wouldnt be any fluid flow if they were the same pressure....I havent looked at one of those blocks before, actually.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Atomic
Pretty sure both are pressurized....but then that doesnt make a lot of sense since there wouldnt be any fluid flow if they were the same pressure....I havent looked at one of those blocks before, actually.
That is exactly what I am thinking. If both had say 40 psi then how would the oil flow to the oil cooler and back to the oil pan. One has to have no oil pressure or less than the other for it to flow correctly.

If I can use the high pressure side to feed the turbo then I can use the other side to return the oil back to the pan without having to tap the oil pan.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:36 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

I think there is something going on in the block to the cooler since so many guys use that block off plate for their turbo feed (me included), the pressure at the plate would have to be engine pressure because if it wasnt and only one side was pressurized the turbo would never get oil...
Old 09-12-2011, 01:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just got off the phone with someone who sells adapters and it would not work. Yes, one side has pressure and the other does not but the one that does have pressure needs to pressurize the other side in order to feed the motor with oil.

So if I used the pressurized side to feed oil to the turbo then tried to use the other side for a return it would not have enough oil pressure to feed the engine. I do have an oil pump since I have a low mount turbo but I don't think it could make enough pressure to feed the motor.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:11 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by EVILGMC
the factory oil cooler adapter has a thermostat in it...would require more modification than just hard line to an adapters.
2nd that. You be running your turbo with 0 psi until the motor warmed up.

Pretty much every turbo kit (front mounted) runs a 1/2" or 5/8" oil drain that is gravity fed back to the pan. The oil pressure is so low on he drain side of a turbo that just an minor uphill restriction in the drain line can cause you to blow oil past your seals. Tapping into the drain side of the cooler would just fill your turbo drain with oil and blow out your turbo's seals.

Keep it simple and just tap into the oil pan for the drain. I tapped the front of my pan below the harmonic balancer twice and it still only took about 30 minutes. If you use a 3/8npt tap after the corresponding drill bit, you can just use a short piece of hardware store 3/8" brass pipe that will hold a 5/8" drain hose with a clamp.

Rick
Old 09-13-2011, 01:02 AM
Staging Lane

This is my oil feed line.

I am debating on my return for it though. I have a -10an bulkhead fitting I was going to install in the pan, or drill and weld a bung on it.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Rick_Vor
2nd that. You be running your turbo with 0 psi until the motor warmed up.

Pretty much every turbo kit (front mounted) runs a 1/2" or 5/8" oil drain that is gravity fed back to the pan. The oil pressure is so low on he drain side of a turbo that just an minor uphill restriction in the drain line can cause you to blow oil past your seals. Tapping into the drain side of the cooler would just fill your turbo drain with oil and blow out your turbo's seals.

Keep it simple and just tap into the oil pan for the drain. I tapped the front of my pan below the harmonic balancer twice and it still only took about 30 minutes. If you use a 3/8npt tap after the corresponding drill bit, you can just use a short piece of hardware store 3/8" brass pipe that will hold a 5/8" drain hose with a clamp.

Rick
The way the guy on the phone explained it both sides of the thermostatic oil cooler adapter have pressure but a valve inside it is open so it can bypass the cooler. Once the temp gets up the bypass opens and it flows to the cooler and up to the engine.

If they did not have pressure until up to temp then Sinr98's setup would starve his turbo every cold start.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:45 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SRTKLLR
If they did not have pressure until up to temp then Sinr98's setup would starve his turbo every cold start.
Good point. I should have remembered his pictures from other posts. Looks like it's fine for the feed but not the return.

Rick

Quick Reply: Oil Feed and Return