FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

oil problem on my MPT70 TURBO...

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 04:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil problem on my MPT70 TURBO...

WELL today i was checking on the turbo and spoted some oil on the turbine down pipe the hot part to the muffler so it could be the drain on the turbo i have the drain to the valve cover its a front mount turbo and i have a flange with a small hole to feed it and i took it off and cleaned it and i blew in the oil feed flange and cover the drain flange and air was coming threw the back side and not the front just the turbine like a leak or something is this normal for air to come out to the turbine not alot , so what could be the problem the turbo is brand new i just install it 2 days ago . thanks by the way for your help.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:13 AM
TECH Addict

You have too much oil feeding into the turbo. You either have too much pressure or too high a flow of oil. The turbo only needs a small steady flow of oil to the bushings. When the center housing gets too full the excess oil runs by the end seals into the turbine and probably the compressor. You can fix it by adding a restrictor in the oil feed line before the turbo. Some of the guys are using N2O jets or pills I think and some as small as 0.050". Do a search on here and you should find some more general information. If the oil gets into your compressor it will get on your MAF (if you have one) and screw it up.

Thunder550 just went through this maybe he will help you out.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:02 AM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Couple of questions...

1. What size is your drain line?
2. What size is your feed line?
3. What are you idle and high RPM oil pressures?
4. You said your drain line goes into the valve cover...do you have a picture? Is it a downhill slope the entire way? No flat spots or uphill spots?
Old 01-08-2008, 01:31 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by mike06tork
WELL today i was checking on the turbo and spoted some oil on the turbine down pipe the hot part to the muffler so it could be the drain on the turbo i have the drain to the valve cover its a front mount turbo and i have a flange with a small hole to feed it and i took it off and cleaned it and i blew in the oil feed flange and cover the drain flange and air was coming threw the back side and not the front just the turbine like a leak or something is this normal for air to come out to the turbine not alot , so what could be the problem the turbo is brand new i just install it 2 days ago . thanks by the way for your help.
This could be a huge problem. We did that on our first test kits, and all was fine unless you got into a steap dip. Oil can not drain away the hole gravity thing. So we moved to the pan all is well.
The sealing rings might have a crack.
How large is the drain line as well.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

my drain line is a 1/4 inch line and my feed is a 1/8 with fittings 1/8 also and i have a feeding flange also with a very small hole in the center like the size of this "o" the turbo need just a little bit of oil only threw it or what so what do i need to do and in order to put the drain to the pan i need to take the oil pan off also or what do i need to do , thanks
Old 01-08-2008, 09:13 PM
Truck Sponsor

I like removing the pan but it is not neccessary, you can install a fitting in the front corner pretty easily. Really anywhere above the oil line, and and the straightest shot down. Stay away from running the horizontal.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so i have to take of the oil pan what about all the alluminum tiny bits when i drill threw it how do i take them out ,and hey i was thinking if i take the oil dip stick and cut a hole in the bottom and weld a steel pipe and then run down the oil drain hose, do you think it will work or what
Old 01-09-2008, 09:27 AM
Truck Sponsor

Originally Posted by mike06tork
so i have to take of the oil pan what about all the alluminum tiny bits when i drill threw it how do i take them out ,and hey i was thinking if i take the oil dip stick and cut a hole in the bottom and weld a steel pipe and then run down the oil drain hose, do you think it will work or what
Like I said I like to take the pans off but its not neccessary. Just use a sharp bit, lots of grease on the drill and tap, and the little shavings they well just fall into the pan. and sink to the bottom. When i dropped my pan on the 07 it had several pieces of rubber silicone goooo in side the pan but not worries.
Its really easy just to drill and tap a hole no worries about welding or redesigning your dipstick area.