FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Out with the old maggie in with the new maggie

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 04:01 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Spoolin
You gonna throw the motor on the dyno to see what kinda numbers it makes? It would be a great comparo to see how much drivetrain loss there actually is!!
See post 22 or 24...............

or

Unless you meant "throw the truck on the dyno"

Last edited by DrX; 04-04-2010 at 04:07 PM.
Old 04-04-2010, 04:18 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yup yup!! That's what I meant, throw the truck on the dyno!
Old 04-04-2010, 10:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately Fort Collins, where I live and the motor was built, does not have a 4 wheel dyno for my AWD Denali Truck. It would be interesting to know what the real correction is between flywheel and wheels.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DrX
See post 22 or 24...............

or

Unless you meant "throw the truck on the dyno"
Dr. X, thanks for blowin that up. IDK how u did that, but now I can see it. Impressive!!! Plateau flat TQ curve holds over a ~3,000 RPM span (from 2400-5600) @ over 700Ft Lbs. 730+ TQ avg. What's up w/. the BSFC? Seems way high.

Spoolin, who cares about truck's dyno numbers. That's just braggin rights, IMO. On track is what counts to me. I'd rather smoke em there.

Originally Posted by fish5225
Unfortunately Fort Collins, where I live and the motor was built, does not have a 4 wheel dyno for my AWD Denali Truck. It would be interesting to know what the real correction is between flywheel and wheels.
Accepted from most people I've talked to, heard & seen myself is 15-20% depending. Auto or M makes a diff. Of course, AWD may change the game a bit.

Goin outside the box, could ya call Dynojet or whoever makes an AWD dyno, & ask who has 1 of their AWD dynos? I knew where they had 1 round me.

Last edited by fastnblu; 04-04-2010 at 10:57 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:37 AM
GFYS and STFU

Originally Posted by fastnblu
Spoolin, who cares about truck's dyno numbers. That's just braggin rights, IMO. On track is what counts to me. I'd rather smoke em there.
I care!!
Chasis dyno numbers mean more to me than engine dyno numbers and are a better indicator at what a truck/car will do at the track. Also engine's are loaded alot differently when going through a drive-train than they are when being loaded on an engine stand dyno so their curves very, slightly at times and pretty noticeably at other times.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree. Welp! Ya, chassis dyno is preferred over engine. But, things that are seen there don't always translate into real world results, sorta. Take a stall, that kills on the dyno, yet street/ or track, it rocks. Or a CAI/ RA. I'll counter w/. that.

I mighta been tired when I posted that & more so now, but ya gotta wake up pretty early. Kinda hard since I wake up early & u sleep in after you're testing your beer tolerance factor.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:17 AM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I care!!
Chasis dyno numbers mean more to me than engine dyno numbers and are a better indicator at what a truck/car will do at the track. Also engine's are loaded alot differently when going through a drive-train than they are when being loaded on an engine stand dyno so their curves very, slightly at times and pretty noticeably at other times.

I disagree, an engine dyno will tell you exactly what the engine is going to do. Engine dynos are an excellent tool for development and testing, there is nothing better than a controlled / calibrated environment to tell the story.

Chassis dynos are subject to far too many bullshit stories......my converter did this, the tires are slipping, my wheels are too big, the hood was open, blahh blaa blaa blaa.

I do agree with one thing you said......the track tells the story. Trap speed = Horsepower.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:14 PM
GFYS and STFU

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
I disagree, an engine dyno will tell you exactly what the engine is going to do. Engine dynos are an excellent tool for development and testing, there is nothing better than a controlled / calibrated environment to tell the story.

Chassis dynos are subject to far too many bullshit stories......my converter did this, the tires are slipping, my wheels are too big, the hood was open, blahh blaa blaa blaa.

I do agree with one thing you said......the track tells the story. Trap speed = Horsepower.
Well then I disagree too...
Brian, I don't care what the engine is gonna do, and never said that I did either. I'm interested what the truck is gonna do with the engine in it, and chassis dyno numbers are far more indicative of that than engine dyno numbers. Those engine dyno numbers are vastly inflated do to the lack of drive-train and accessory losses when dealing with real world conditions.
Nowhere did I say that engine dyno's are not "excellent tools for development and testing...there is nothing better than a controlled / calibrated environment to tell the story". I said they SUCK when having to tell the whole story regarding what the vehicle is gonna do in an uncontrolled/uncalibrated environment behind unpredictable and varying components such as intake tubes, catalytic converters, mufflers, resonators, 20 feet of exhaust piping of varying sizes, varying transmissions, converter set-ups, rear-end gearing and type, tire combination, etc...

I can totally understand and appreciate where engine testing is a fantastic tool for Magnuson in order to develop, test and analyze various engine components in order to refine your products with the end user in mind. However I personally am not developing engines here, and engine dyno numbers are just inflated numbers that mean very little to me. I just want to know how much power his truck is gonna put down to get a better idea what it's capable of.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:16 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well then I disagree too...
Brian, I don't care what the engine is gonna do, and never said that I did either. I'm interested what the truck is gonna do with the engine in it, and chassis dyno numbers are far more indicative of that than engine dyno numbers. Those engine dyno numbers are vastly inflated do to the lack of drive-train and accessory losses when dealing with real world conditions.
Nowhere did I say that engine dyno's are not "excellent tools for development and testing...there is nothing better than a controlled / calibrated environment to tell the story". I said they SUCK when having to tell the whole story regarding what the vehicle is gonna do in an uncontrolled/uncalibrated environment behind unpredictable and varying components such as intake tubes, catalytic converters, mufflers, resonators, 20 feet of exhaust piping of varying sizes, varying transmissions, converter set-ups, rear-end gearing and type, tire combination, etc...

I can totally understand and appreciate where engine testing is a fantastic tool for Magnuson in order to develop, test and analyze various engine components in order to refine your products with the end user in mind. However I personally am not developing engines here, and engine dyno numbers are just inflated numbers that mean very little to me. I just want to know how much power his truck is gonna put down to get a better idea what it's capable of.
you crack me up......

Nothing is inflated, those are real numbers on a real dyno.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:24 PM
GFYS and STFU

And we all know SAE numbers are accurate too then huh!

Quick Reply: Out with the old maggie in with the new maggie