FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

PCV with FI

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 01:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PCV with FI

I just got a victor jr intake, and will have to do some modification to the PVC system. I think they way I'm planning to do it should work, and seems fairly simple. I'm planning to run the passenger and drivers side valve cover hoses to a Y-block, from there run a single line to an oil catch can, then from the catch can run a line to the inlet side of my supercharger.

Would this work effeciently? Suggestions?
Old 07-31-2006, 05:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One side needs to be vented thru a breather or into the intake side. If you run it to a Y then you will pull the crankcase down to a total vaccum and suck a gasket in somewhere. The catch can typically would be on the PCV side, but some people run 2 , 1 on either side.

Dave
Old 07-31-2006, 05:50 AM
TECH Veteran

You also need to make sure you don't pressurize your crankcase and start blowing oil or seals out. A one way valve would help, I still don't have my system perfected but it works a lot better than before.
See my photobucket site and previous posts on this for better info.
I really don't know how much different an SC will be compared to the turbo I have.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

on a similar note I have asked this before (and got no answer so, i will ask again) , with my Turbo system i have a breather on the Driver side valve cover and a line with a little filter on it on the passanger side. I had to do this because the passanger side used to go to the air box with the turbo (and it used to suck a lot of oil into the box)but, now i have a cone filter right the front of the turbo so i have no where to put that live so i have it tied to the water hose and sometimes it would spit just a little bit of oil. Is this ok? Ii not what can i do? If you needs pics i can get some up tonight...
Old 07-31-2006, 03:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TG02Z71
You also need to make sure you don't pressurize your crankcase and start blowing oil or seals out. A one way valve would help, I still don't have my system perfected but it works a lot better than before.
See my photobucket site and previous posts on this for better info.
I really don't know how much different an SC will be compared to the turbo I have.

Well originally with the stock truck intake, I had the drivers side valve cover coupled with a one way check valve, and a hose from there to the intake. The passenger side valve cover vent was routed to the catch can, then from there to the inlet side of the blower. This is how vortech sets them up, and I have had no problems.

However, since I switched to the victor jr. intake, I'm not sure how I should deal with the drivers side PCV setup. I dont really want to tap the intake and have it there.

Would it be a good Idea just to have both lines routed to the inlet side of the blower, but use a Breather on the oil filler cap? Or should I use a breather on the drivers side valve cover and just route the passenger side pcv line to the inlet.

any comments are welcomed!
Old 07-31-2006, 04:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Deckhand
Would it be a good Idea just to have both lines routed to the inlet side of the blower, but use a Breather on the oil filler cap? Or should I use a breather on the drivers side valve cover and just route the passenger side pcv line to the inlet.

I don't think so, The passenger side does something diffrent than what your thinking. Someone explained it better to me before.
I'll dig up my old posts.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Not your system but it has good info.
https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...ght=puking+oil
https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...ght=oil+puking
https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...ght=oil+puking
Old 08-01-2006, 08:38 AM
TECH Addict

Cool

Originally Posted by Lord Aries
on a similar note I have asked this before (and got no answer so, i will ask again) , with my Turbo system i have a breather on the Driver side valve cover and a line with a little filter on it on the passanger side. I had to do this because the passanger side used to go to the air box with the turbo (and it used to suck a lot of oil into the box)but, now i have a cone filter right the front of the turbo so i have no where to put that live so i have it tied to the water hose and sometimes it would spit just a little bit of oil. Is this ok? Ii not what can i do? If you needs pics i can get some up tonight...
That should work fine for your application. You are venting the crankcase on both sides of the block to the atmosphere through the valve covers. This method becomes limited if you run a lot of boost and start getting blow-by the pistons and pressurize your crankcase faster than it can vent through the valve covers when you are under boost. If you start to get a lot of oil in the vent filters you might want to consider a vacuum pump or try to weld in a connection to your down pipe like Parish has to use vacuum to vent the crankcase.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:25 AM
TECH Addict

Cool

Originally Posted by Deckhand
Well originally with the stock truck intake, I had the drivers side valve cover coupled with a one way check valve, and a hose from there to the intake. The passenger side valve cover vent was routed to the catch can, then from there to the inlet side of the blower. This is how vortech sets them up, and I have had no problems.

However, since I switched to the victor jr. intake, I'm not sure how I should deal with the drivers side PCV setup. I dont really want to tap the intake and have it there.

You have a couple of options you can try.
1.) You can vent the crankcase to the atmosphere like Lord Aries has done with the use of simple vent filters on both valve covers. You can also vent through a system of catch cans. If you are not getting a lot of blow-by I think this system will work but will not be EPA friendly for emissions inspections.
2.)You can use the system you describe above with a breather on the driver's side and a line from the passenger side to the inlet side of the SC. Either of the methods you describe are essentially doing the same thing. There is a vent for air to enter or leave the crankcase and a small vacuum to pull air though the crankcase. This seems to be the system Lord Aries had on his Livernois kit before he modified the air filter inlet by removing the air box and putting on a cone filter. The problem with this system is that if you are downstream from the MAF you are putting un-metered air into your intake and the engine may go a little lean unless you can tune it out. If you are upstream from the MAF you are likely to cover the MAF in oil and cause all sorts of problems unless you have a good catch can to trap any oil. Again this method will work unless you are getting crankcase pressure from blow-by.
3.) You can tap your Vic jr. in the plenum opening and run your system like Vortec sets it up.

I would try 1.) first if you don't want to tap into the intake and work my way up from there depending on the results I got. If you find that a lot of oil is being blown out of the engine through the filters then you will need to consider the use of catch cans and/or a little vacuum to pull air through the vent system and burn it through the engine or exhaust.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think im going to use number 2 method. I am using a mafless speed density setup. However, I am using a cone filter right off the inlet of the supercharger, but I have a small section of tubing coupled between the inlet and the cone filter that is tapped for the "drain". And there is a oil catch can before getting vented into the inlet.

Do you think enough vacuum by having the venting into the inlet right after the cone filter. Ill try to post pics later tonight. Basically I have the air filter right on the blower inlet, but a spacer inbetween the two that allowed me to tap to use for the pcv relief.

Originally Posted by Mort
You have a couple of options you can try.
1.) You can vent the crankcase to the atmosphere like Lord Aries has done with the use of simple vent filters on both valve covers. You can also vent through a system of catch cans. If you are not getting a lot of blow-by I think this system will work but will not be EPA friendly for emissions inspections.
2.)You can use the system you describe above with a breather on the driver's side and a line from the passenger side to the inlet side of the SC. Either of the methods you describe are essentially doing the same thing. There is a vent for air to enter or leave the crankcase and a small vacuum to pull air though the crankcase. This seems to be the system Lord Aries had on his Livernois kit before he modified the air filter inlet by removing the air box and putting on a cone filter. The problem with this system is that if you are downstream from the MAF you are putting un-metered air into your intake and the engine may go a little lean unless you can tune it out. If you are upstream from the MAF you are likely to cover the MAF in oil and cause all sorts of problems unless you have a good catch can to trap any oil. Again this method will work unless you are getting crankcase pressure from blow-by.
3.) You can tap your Vic jr. in the plenum opening and run your system like Vortec sets it up.

I would try 1.) first if you don't want to tap into the intake and work my way up from there depending on the results I got. If you find that a lot of oil is being blown out of the engine through the filters then you will need to consider the use of catch cans and/or a little vacuum to pull air through the vent system and burn it through the engine or exhaust.

Quick Reply: PCV with FI