FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

PCV with FI

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 11:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you say a lot of boost, how much is alot? I plan on running 15lbs on the new motor...
Old 08-01-2006, 01:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Lord Aries
When you say a lot of boost, how much is alot? I plan on running 15lbs on the new motor...
I think 15 psi boost is getting pretty serious and you can expect to develope some issues you may not have seen before. One good example might be your fuel delivery system. You will have to be prepared to deal with these issues as they arrise or as much as you can anticipate them. If your engine is built as tight as it can be and your rings seal well then you might get by with the system you are using now. I think it will really come down to how much blow-by you get. If you get none or little you should be fine but as the engine wears you might find you need to do some work to get the pressure out of the crankcase. I would keep an eye on Parish's progress and see how he makes out along with anyone else you know who is running higher boost. If it isn't broke don't fix it but be prepared to make some changes based on your experience.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:05 PM
TECH Addict

Cool

Originally Posted by Deckhand
I think im going to use number 2 method. I am using a mafless speed density setup. However, I am using a cone filter right off the inlet of the supercharger, but I have a small section of tubing coupled between the inlet and the cone filter that is tapped for the "drain". And there is a oil catch can before getting vented into the inlet.

Do you think enough vacuum by having the venting into the inlet right after the cone filter. Ill try to post pics later tonight. Basically I have the air filter right on the blower inlet, but a spacer inbetween the two that allowed me to tap to use for the pcv relief.
I have never measured vacuum at that spot at the inlet to the SC, or turbo in my case, but I would think you would see some because of the high volume of air that passes there under boost. If you can hook your boost gauge up there, go for a drive and see what you get. That way you will know for sure how much vacuum you are pulling under different loads and rpm ranges. Just plug off the nipple your boost gauge is on now and move the hose to the nipple at the inlet and see what you get for readings. I assume your boost gauge can read vacuum as well as boost?
Old 08-01-2006, 06:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mort
I think 15 psi boost is getting pretty serious and you can expect to develope some issues you may not have seen before. One good example might be your fuel delivery system. You will have to be prepared to deal with these issues as they arrise or as much as you can anticipate them. If your engine is built as tight as it can be and your rings seal well then you might get by with the system you are using now. I think it will really come down to how much blow-by you get. If you get none or little you should be fine but as the engine wears you might find you need to do some work to get the pressure out of the crankcase. I would keep an eye on Parish's progress and see how he makes out along with anyone else you know who is running higher boost. If it isn't broke don't fix it but be prepared to make some changes based on your experience.
Sounds like a good plan man!
Old 08-03-2006, 05:37 PM
On The Tree

What about leaving the stock PCV/VENT system alone and installing a 3/4 inch nipple into each valve cover with a baffle under it. Then install an old school pan evac system with a check valve in each down pipe for a twin system or tee them together for a single.