FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Physical Range of 90mm LS2 vs 78mm TB

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 08:21 AM
DrX
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lr4 colorado v8
Ok then I have basiclly tried this allready, I wonder if the problem is that the PCm wants over 4 volts instead of 3.5 volts which I am getting on TPS1 closed throttle. Waht would happen if I put in a resister on the low refernece side, could this trick the pcm into sending out more voltage on the 5 volt ref line and intern recive a higher reading from the TPs1 sensor circuit? Other wise how else can I get 3.5 volts up to 4.xx volts?
How are you measuring the TPS output? If you have 5V and 0V as the references, the ouput range will be at least 0.5V to 4.3V. Make sure that the TPS circuit is not connected to the ECM when you check it and that your meter ground lead is connected to the 0V circuit.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DrX
How are you measuring the TPS output? If you have 5V and 0V as the references, the ouput range will be at least 0.5V to 4.3V. Make sure that the TPS circuit is not connected to the ECM when you check it and that your meter ground lead is connected to the 0V circuit.
Ok I how would I disconect the ecm when I check it? Then there won't be 5 volts going to it anymore right? Or if I unplug all the ecm connectors and turn on the ignition swith will there still be 5 volts going to the throttle body?

I currently am probing the low refernece 1704 from the computer to the throttle body wiht the balck - probe on the multi meter and the positve probe is probing the dark green wire 485 TPS1 or Purple TPS2 486. The meter set on the dc volt setting. I am then manually moving the throttle plate by hand and observing the readings at WOT. This is all done with the key tunred on to the run positon, engine not running.

That was how I guesses I should take the readings is there a better or more accurate way? Thanks again for all your help!
Old 11-24-2010, 07:33 PM
Staging Lane

I still have a feeing that there is a problem wiht the accellorator pedal sensor Code P2138 D/E corralation, How can I rule out that the switch is either faulty or functional how can I test it and the wirring, I got this out of the junk yard so maybe it is bad, I know it definately got wet as there no windows or doors left on the donor vehicle.

I have Hp tunners can I sue it to see what voltages I am seeing from the APP sensor? If so How? I am also getting code P2119 throttle body range performace, but maybe that would go away if it wouldn't through the P2138 code then it might close the throttle plate on key one and learn the fully closed and WOT position, currently it never moves the throttle plate so how would it even know there is a problem?
Old 11-25-2010, 08:33 AM
DrX
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by lr4 colorado v8
I still have a feeing that there is a problem wiht the accellorator pedal sensor Code P2138 D/E corralation, How can I rule out that the switch is either faulty or functional how can I test it and the wirring, I got this out of the junk yard so maybe it is bad, I know it definately got wet as there no windows or doors left on the donor vehicle.

I have Hp tunners can I sue it to see what voltages I am seeing from the APP sensor? If so How? I am also getting code P2119 throttle body range performace, but maybe that would go away if it wouldn't through the P2138 code then it might close the throttle plate on key one and learn the fully closed and WOT position, currently it never moves the throttle plate so how would it even know there is a problem?
Are the pedal assembly and the ECM from the same donor vehicle?
Old 11-25-2010, 10:19 PM
Staging Lane

know they are different. The 4.8L engine throttle body etc.. are out of a 2007 chevrolet 2500 expressvan. The Computer is a E40 from CBM motor sports with a basic tune from A 2006 SSR manual transmission vehicle. THe PCm has been tunded for a 4.8L displacement, no vatts and the tire and rear axle ratio from my 04 colorado, were this swap is going. The pedal is from a 08 trailblazer same part number as a 2006 SSR.

Originally Posted by DrX
Are the pedal assembly and the ECM from the same donor vehicle?
Old 11-26-2010, 07:14 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

Something is not right there.

Not sure if you can log the TPSV and PPSV values with with HPT. I'm using EFILive. Used to be able to log them with EFILive up to a year or 2 ago. One of their updates to the software broke that for the LS1 style PCMs and they didn't seem to think that it was important enough to fix.

You can supply the 5V and 0V references to the pedal sensor and measure the sensor ouputs directly with a meter to see if they are within the expected ranges.
Old 11-27-2010, 02:25 AM
Staging Lane

ok did a bunch of testing wiht the 5 volt refernce wires igntion on. here is waht I got
Trailblazer pedal
PPS1 at rest 0.99 volts
pedal to the floor 4.35 volts

PPS2 fluctuating between .99-1.4 volts at rest

fluctuating between 4.12-4.37 volts to the floor

Stock 07 GMC van 4.8L three bolt throttle body
TPS1 closed 3.85 volts
WOT 0.77 volts

TPS2 closed fluctuating bewtween 1.04-1.19 volts

WOT fluctuating between 3.70-4.28 volts

second try I puched the throttle plate all the way close my hand, the firsttest it was held slightly open by spring preasure?

Stock 07 GMC van 4.8L three bolt throttle body
TPS1 closed 4.48 volts
WOT 0.77 volts

TPS2 closed fluctuating bewtween 0.57 volts

WOT fluctuating between 3.70-4.28 volts

other than the fluctuating these seem ok to me?

I am not sure about the pedal though no refernce to go by?

with the pedal removed and set to the ohm meter scale I measured the following pins;

F 5 volt ref sen 1 & D low ref.sen 1 = 3.73 ohms
C 5 volt ref sen 2 & A low ref. sen 2= 3.72 ohms
F 5 volt ref sen 1 & E sen 1 signal = 3.096 ohms at rest and 0.545 ohms pedal to the floor

C 5 volt ref sen 2 & B sen 2 signal = 3.069 ohms at rest and 0.532 ohms pedal to the floor

Seems like sen 1 and sen 2 are Identical or verry close, I asume this is normal?

I am still getting code P2138 circuit d/e corralation and P2119 throttle body performnce pending.

I wish I new excatly what circuit d/e corralation meant!

I switched the wires around switched E PPS sen 1 for B PPS sen 2 and rescanned now code P2138 e/e corralation went away and I got another code a/b correlation.

So the wirring is good going into the computer, but seems sen 1 is a problem on the pedal? Strange it seems ok on the multimeter?

What should I do next? Fork out about 100.00 for a new pedal, or 225.00 for the proper 6 wire LS2 throttle body?
Old 11-27-2010, 10:35 AM
DrX
TECH Addict

Sounds like the wrong pedal. I'm pretty sure the PPS sensors should be moving in opposite directions for an 06 SSR, same as 2005. And PPS1 should probably max out around 2.5V
Old 11-27-2010, 10:44 AM
DrX
TECH Addict

From the 2005 SSR manual: The APP sensor 1 signal voltage at rest position is less than 1 volt and increases as the pedal is actuated. The APP sensor 2 signal voltage at rest position above 4 volts and decreases as the pedal is actuated.

From the 2005 Corvette maual: The APP sensor 1 signal voltage at rest position is less than 1 volt and increases to above 2.5 volts as the pedal is actuated. The APP sensor 2 signal voltage at rest position is near the 4 volts and decreases to less than 1 volt as the pedal is actuated.

Your description matches a 2004 SSR, 2003-2006 truck, 2007 classic truck, and probably the 2007 donor van you mentioned as well.
Old 11-27-2010, 02:33 PM
Staging Lane

this is come golden info here! Any chance you can get me the proper part number for a 05-06 traillbazer/SSR pedal I am using part number 15145758 for 04-06 SSR and 04-08 trailblazer.

Anyway you could verify this info is the same for a 06 SSR and what are the specs for the throttle body on the 06 SSR? JUst like the great info you gave me on the pedal! Thanks again! Jamie

I doubt that this pedal would fail to the piont of now moving in the wrong direction? I am allmost tmepted to try a 05 corvette pedal

Originally Posted by DrX
From the 2005 SSR manual: The APP sensor 1 signal voltage at rest position is less than 1 volt and increases as the pedal is actuated. The APP sensor 2 signal voltage at rest position above 4 volts and decreases as the pedal is actuated.

From the 2005 Corvette maual: The APP sensor 1 signal voltage at rest position is less than 1 volt and increases to above 2.5 volts as the pedal is actuated. The APP sensor 2 signal voltage at rest position is near the 4 volts and decreases to less than 1 volt as the pedal is actuated.

Your description matches a 2004 SSR, 2003-2006 truck, 2007 classic truck, and probably the 2007 donor van you mentioned as well.

Quick Reply: Physical Range of 90mm LS2 vs 78mm TB