FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Picked up new heat exchanger today

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 07:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forgot to mention, when I did this install i didnt go through the hassle of unbolting my reservoir and holding it up above the rest of the system when I filled it back up. Since my actual intercooler that sits on the manifold is higher than the reservoir, i probably still have some air trapped in the intercooler that needs to come out. Can anyone comment on the importance of doing this, or is it more of a hassle than its worth?

Last edited by Whippled 496; 04-01-2007 at 08:10 PM.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:33 PM
Admin

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Whippled 496
I remember that guy, he was one of the coolest guys around, i think he got ran over by a horse and buggy on the way to Amish-a-palooza.
No way! You I mean he missed a good palooza

I raced a buggy the other day, he got me by one horse length @ 60
Old 04-03-2007, 02:17 PM
TECH Addict

Also just picked up a 2.5" pulley for the blower. That should put me at around 7.25lbs depending on the ambient temps.

I have a few pulleys i will be selling soon as well. I have a 3", 2-7/8", 2-3/4", and a 2-5/8" i will be getting rid of pretty soon.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:29 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Whippled 496
Forgot to mention, when I did this install i didnt go through the hassle of unbolting my reservoir and holding it up above the rest of the system when I filled it back up. Since my actual intercooler that sits on the manifold is higher than the reservoir, i probably still have some air trapped in the intercooler that needs to come out. Can anyone comment on the importance of doing this, or is it more of a hassle than its worth?

You could have a lot of air trapped in the core or very little, depending on how strong of water pump you are using. Can you lift your reservoir up higer and run the pump for a bid to get pushed through. Or just install a shrader valve at the highest point and burp the system.
First option is less messy.
Nice install by the way. That new core looks very clean.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TrickPerformanceProducts
You could have a lot of air trapped in the core or very little, depending on how strong of water pump you are using. Can you lift your reservoir up higer and run the pump for a bid to get pushed through. Or just install a shrader valve at the highest point and burp the system.
First option is less messy.
Nice install by the way. That new core looks very clean.

Glad i took some time to look into it because when i loosened everything up and held the reservoir up high, i heard quite a bit of air bubble out. I was able to pour another quart of water into the reservoir. So i must have had a lot of air in there. I will see tomorrow if it makes a noticable difference.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:25 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i like the burping idea. Sounds cool anyways.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just can't decide if i should swap from A2A to W2A... It was 82* out today and my IAT's sat right at 108* in stop and go traffic... The twin 10inch E-fans i put on it last year have really worked out great... Thats great BUT, I am still not too happy that my Intercooler is a fancy Skid plate! LoL My truck does still play off road so, i wind up having to be very carefull of it...

I like your set up a lot dude, very clean and really looks pretty much like it was on the truck from GM! Props to ya!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Picked up new heat exchanger today-skidplate.jpg  
Old 04-08-2007, 07:26 PM
TECH Addict

So, final (cool weather) results on the fluidyne heat exchanger are darn good. Holds the temps down very well and temps fall extremely fast when the truck is in motion. Ambient temps today were about 50* and I had cruising temps of 66*, 10 minute idle temps of 91* and temps fell back to 72* in a little over 2 minutes of driving at 65mph. After driving 5 minutes at 65mph, temps were back to 66*-67*. I am thinking that "burping" the system of air made a good bit of difference.

I am having second thoughts about painting the heat exchanger black now. I thought it looked a little obtrusive behind the grill, but I had some guy walk out of McDonalds the other day while I was in the drive-thru and he yells, "look at the f**kin intercooler behind that grill, that looks bad ***!" Since then I have noticed more and more people looking at it, so maybe i will just paint the mounting bar black and leave the core the way it is for now.

Also, those IATs are with the new 2.5" pulley on the blower, which was supposed to bring my PSI up to around 7, but for some reason its only about 145kPa (6.33 psi). I will have to do some more testing with it if I go to the track next weekend. Needless to say the truck is running damn strong and SOTP meter is pushing over into the "**** yea" area. I would love to get this sucker somewhere around 8psi but it looks like i will need a 1" pulley to make that happen.... . Maybe its just to many cubes to fill at this point, but i would have thought the 2.3L would be able to do it...

Last edited by Whippled 496; 04-08-2007 at 07:47 PM.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 199 Likes on 156 Posts

Nice temps. Try running it with the intake tubing removed from the throttle to see if that is limiting your boost.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:36 PM
Notorious BIG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry, don't mean to hijack your thread whippled496 but do you know if this h/e will fit down between the frame rails where the joe gibbs brackets relocate the stock radix h/e? thanks !

Quick Reply: Picked up new heat exchanger today